Sabena332 From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR: Posted (9 years 5 months 2 weeks 1 day 11 hours ago) and read 1126 times:
My girlfriend and myself are planning a weekend trip to Moscow, now I have a question regarding the visa (I prefer asking here because the Russian embassy demands a service fee for advice on visa questions).
On the website of the Russian embassy I read the following:
3. Für Touristen
1. Für Touristen (auch Individualreisende) ist zusätzlich zu den im Punkt 2 erwähnten Unterlagen eine förmliche Reisebestätigung des russischen Reiseveranstalters erforderlich.
2. Weiterhin muss ebenfalls ein Voucher des deutschen Reisebüros oder des russischen Reiseveranstalters vorgelegt werden.
3. Fehlt eine dieser Unterlagen, kann kein Visum ausgestellt werden!
Quick translation into English:
3. For tourists
1. Tourists need a formal confirmation from the Russian tour operator,
2. Furthermore must tourists present a voucher from the German travel agency or the Russian tour operator.
3. Is one of these documents missing, we won't issue a visa.
Huh? I want to book a flight on an airline/travel website and a hotel via Priceline or another travel website. I won't get a "formal confirmation" from a Russian tour operator or a German travel agency because I will never get in touch with them. Is it enough when I send them a print-out of the hotel reservation and a print-out of the confirmation eMail of the electronic airline ticket?
Has anyone more information about these "formal confirmations" and if I can use my hotel and flight confirmation eMails instead?
Yu138086 From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 1, posted (9 years 5 months 2 weeks 1 day 11 hours ago) and read 1119 times:
What i think the Russian information is alluding to is the fact that in order to get a VISA to enter Russia, one needs an invitation of some sort. If you dont have an invitation from a local, then I remember reading that a confirmed booking at any Russian hotel will act as a substitute. This site should help...
We had the choice between St. Petersburg and Moscow but in the end we decided for Moscow because it gets service from more airlines (cheaper flights because of higher competition) and because it is the capital (more sights).