Greyhound From United States of America, joined Mar 2005, 1026 posts, RR: 2 Posted (11 years 2 weeks 23 hours ago) and read 2580 times:
I find it quite amusing to read in different a.net threads all of the "signed by" postings and other jabs people take at one another. Not that I'm trying to instigate anything here, but for amusement only, anyone you care to take a shot at? Mom jokes (however lame), sheep references and anything bashing lib****slayer are more than welcome. (I need something to laugh at... some of these threads are getting a little dull.)
LHMARK From United States of America, joined Jan 2000, 7255 posts, RR: 42
Reply 1, posted (11 years 2 weeks 22 hours ago) and read 2570 times:
There is an etiquette to cracking on fellow A.netters. Here's a good starter guide, not sanctioned by A.net or it's administration and crew:
1. You have to make them a caricature; assign them an overblown trait based on something they once posted that becomes their "crackback persona." For example,
Jcs17 is fat and eats constantly
Aa61hvy is a roided-out fratboy who can't hold his liquor
All women not hospitalized for anorexia are too fat for EmiratesA345
Airlinelover gets fired all the time
I'm a Beetle-driving, makeup-wearing lush
etc. The joy of the crackback isn't in the personal attack, but in finding creative new ways to slam folks with their existing persona.
2. People who aren't regular trash-talkers may not enjoy being cracked on. If they repeatedly say stupid things, post tons of attention posts, or spew flamebait, then by all means, blast away. Otherwise, if the victim gives a negative response after a trial blast, you know they're "off limits." Euros often fit into this category, especially the humorless Germans.
3. Posting gay references in blasts on straight people is a gray area. The essence of the "you're gay" joke isn't really to call someone gay. It's to tease an obviously straight dude about his masculinity.
These are generally too obvious and easy to constitute good smack. Most gay members don't care too much about this sort of thing, but some can get pretty riled up. If you're gonna post a "gay" blast, base it on some cheesy innuendo you found within your victims post, don't just make a cheesy gay reference out of the blue. And for god's sake, don't blast any of the gay members for being gay. It's tacky and they've heard it all before without having to get it on A.net as well.
4. Overly political users are really fun to wind up
5. Pics, pics, pics. ebaum's world has a bunch of forum-ready crackback images, as does eurowhiners, which focuses on more of the classic A.net member-generated images. Lately, I've been getting a kick out of making my own. Remember, every time you post a pic of you or your stuff, you're putting your a$$ out to get kicked
6. If someone wants you to stop, stop. Personal example, a couple of years ago one member posted something that went over as extremely southern racist. I illustrated the point by making a photo collage of a klansman driving the General Lee (from the Dukes of Hazzard), and posting it a few times, saying "you're ride is here." After a bit, I got the feeling that he really hated it, and maybe it was too harsh. That image was retired that second. The smack talking and crackbacks are supposed to be funny and edgy, not overly hurtful.
7. The most important thing. If you swing it, be able to catch it, too. Nothing gets someone piled on more than being able to dish it out, but not take it. KROC gets accused of this a lot, but he'll even KO himself if the smack is strong enough. Which brings me to...
8. The "awards." KROC brought most of them to the forum (I think MattD brought "The Prize." They just sort of evolved here. A brief rundown:
Like the Piazza, but reserved for members from commonwealth countries. Since Indian and Australian members have pretty much no sense of humor, that leaves the Brits. It will apply to Gkirk until I can find an image of someone screwing up a caber toss.
There are plenty of others: The Prize, the Attention Whore, The room (or cargo bay) of People who Care, etc. Go ahead, mix and match!
One of the things that makes the non-av forum is the spirited give-and take between the members. If you've been refraining from joining this fray, but you'd like to, feel free to initiate yourself by hurling your first blast at me. You can rest assured I'll view it with good, sporting humor. But you'd better steel yourself, 'cause I'm gonna crack back.
[Edited 2005-05-17 00:16:23]
[Edited 2005-05-17 00:18:34]
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller
KROC From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 20, posted (11 years 2 weeks 10 hours ago) and read 2386 times:
Quoting LHMARK (Reply 1): 7. The most important thing. If you swing it, be able to catch it, too. Nothing gets someone piled on more than being able to dish it out, but not take it. KROC gets accused of this a lot, but he'll even KO himself if the smack is strong enough. Which brings me to...
Let me add this to LHMark's excellent guide to A.net smack talking. Being ab le to take the smack and turn it around and or takethe smack and keep rolling with the punches is key. I get accused of "not being able to take it" because when someone starts cracking on me, I do not get all pissed off or bow down right away. I'll sling smack back or take the smack being used against me and turn it around. The minute I do this, I'm an asshole. Perfect example recently was Pope trying to engage in a "Your Mom" battle with me, and I would not bite. All of a sudden I "could not take it". Not so, if your gonna bring smack, bring something worthwhile. As LHMark said, I KO myself when someone gets me. Captoveur has KOed me, LHMark has KOed me, several others have and have all gotten there credit.
*How to handle getting smacked on*
All one has to do is look at EmiratesA345. In one thread several months back, he took the worst smackdown beating anyone ever received on A.net. From his saying any chick over 67 pounds is fat, to his job in the K-Mart Junior Misses Department he took a beating. Dude never cried, never got pissed, he never complained. He even will reference it on occasion to crack on himself. Dude might have unrealistic tastes in women, but he has all my respect.
AA61hvy - I got 20 bucks says Mark puts you down in a drinking contest.