Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Difference Between Part 61 And Part 141.  
User currently offlineSwimpilot From United States of America, joined Apr 2005, 16 posts, RR: 0
Posted (9 years 2 months 3 weeks 1 day 14 hours ago) and read 26625 times:

Okay, I have to admit, me being as obsessed with aviation as I am, I still do not know the difference between Part 61 and Part 141 FAA regulations for Privates and so forth. For the last time I have just nodded my head and agreed with the person talking about it. HAHA. So, could someone help me out and tell me the difference please? Thank you much! swimpilot

5 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlinePilotpip From United States of America, joined Sep 2003, 3144 posts, RR: 11
Reply 1, posted (9 years 2 months 3 weeks 1 day 14 hours ago) and read 26638 times:

Part 141 has an FAA approved curriculum that is followed using some sort of grading system and an evaluation prior to taking a practical. The advantage to this is that many of the time requirements under part 61 don't exist. For example, you need 250 total to get your commercial rating under part 61 but this time requirement isnt' there for 141.

I think another reason that many flight schools are going to this is insurance. They seem to think the program is better if the feds approve it therefore the premiums may be lower.

User currently offlineAirWillie6475 From United States of America, joined Jan 2005, 2448 posts, RR: 1
Reply 2, posted (9 years 2 months 3 weeks 1 day 14 hours ago) and read 26639 times:

Part 141 means that the school is approved by the FAA for as a proffesional flight school where there is structure in the training. Part 61 just means that the flight school is a school where future pilots can get their ratings with no special structure in the training and no special approval by the FAA. There are also less flight hours required by part 141 schools to complete before the student can apply for the checkrides to get the ratings. I should also say that in general it doesn't really matter which one you go to and chances are that you wont find a 141 school in your area.

User currently offlineSwimpilot From United States of America, joined Apr 2005, 16 posts, RR: 0
Reply 3, posted (9 years 2 months 3 weeks 1 day 14 hours ago) and read 26632 times:

Well, that is just it. Montana State University-Great Falls College of Technology is now going to start an Associates of Applied Science in Aviation Technology. Leading to Private, Instrument, and Commercial. But it is Part 61. And Rocky Mountain College, in Billings, MT, has a bachelors of Science in Professional Pilot. Which is Part 141. I am trying to choose between the two I think.

User currently offlineAirWillie6475 From United States of America, joined Jan 2005, 2448 posts, RR: 1
Reply 4, posted (9 years 2 months 3 weeks 1 day 13 hours ago) and read 26623 times:

I would go to the college that you like don't base it on their regulations about training. Plus you want to have many hours anyways, assuming you want to be a pilot, so the 141 flight time regulations don't apply that much. Also 61 is more relaxed so you don't have to worry about completing your ratings at specified times thats a big plus for college students.

User currently offline727EMflyer From United States of America, joined Mar 2005, 547 posts, RR: 0
Reply 5, posted (9 years 2 months 3 weeks 22 hours ago) and read 26583 times:

Greetings from a fellow Great Falls Native! I am forced to live in Hawaii now, but Great Falls is still home.

Well there is a lot more to part 141 vs. part 61. 141, as mentioned, governs flight schools while part 61 adresses flight training. Sounds similar, but there are some key differences, and part 61 goes beyond just learning how to fly and earning your certificate.
A school approved under 141 does business quite differently than a FBO/Instructor offering training under part 61. They must have a permanent office, maintain records for a certain amount of time, provide specific facilities for students, maintain their aircraft under more rigid requirements, and have a designated chief instructor. Additionally they must use a registered, standardized syllabus in training that details what will be taught when, and to what degree the student must master that skill before moving on to the next lesson. The chief instructor, or other designee, will give the student "stage checks" along the way to ensure he has learned what the instructor has said he learned. The reward for this rigidity is a (slightly) lower minimum hours requirement, and some schools have self examining authority. The 35 minimum hours for a PPL from a 141 school is very deceptive because in all reality you will need 50 - 60 hours before you are proficient enough to pass the checkride.
Training under part 61 is less predictable and more personal in the long run. There is a set list of standards any student must meet before the checkride, but the instructor can tailor the way these are taught to the individual student. For instance a 141 sylabus might specify the student solos before the first cross country flight (or vice versa). But (as in my case) if the weather along the cross country route sours you can change plans and go solo that day instead. The tailoring may result in a better overall training experience, or you instructor might just stink and not train you right or let you slip on a standard or two. Generally, if you go with a 61 program your cost per flight hour and instructor fees will be lower. Since you really won't finish PPL faster under 141 this is a better option financially. However all the advanced ratings should be quicker and cheaper to attain under 141.
When chosing which way to go myself, I came across a quote from a former ERAU exec saying basically, on a scale of 1-10 a part 141 student will come out a 6 or 7, every time, but a 61 student could be a 10, could be a 1! In the end though, the choice will come down to who meets your needs. Airlines generally want you to have a degree. A lot of colleges offer 141 schools in conjuction with their Av related degree programs, as well as a prestigious alma mater for you resume (not to mention job placement programs!). They also make it easy to combine flight costs with student loans.

One last note, a pitch I make in any flight training thread, JOIN AOPA!!!!!!! They will shove information your way from left and right that will improve you learning experience and keep you flying straight and level once you have your ticket. Good luck and happy flying!

Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic Difference Between Part 61 And Part 141.
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format