Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Airflow Over Wing  
User currently offlineBryan Becker From United States of America, joined Mar 2001, 333 posts, RR: 0
Posted (15 years 1 month 3 weeks 5 days 7 hours ago) and read 2904 times:

Bryan here,I just have a quick question.Iwas looking throught some photos of sky harbor,An I have seen many more of these pictures.I just don't under stand how the air flow is going over these wings or eny other wing with these flaps deployed,those flaps in the front(i don't know what they are called) how does the air go smoothly over them.They are streight down from what it looks like.here is a photo to show what i'm talking about. Smile

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Saul Loeb

-BryanBecker Big thumbs up

5 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offline737LAME From Norway, joined Apr 2001, 75 posts, RR: 4
Reply 1, posted (15 years 1 month 3 weeks 5 days 6 hours ago) and read 2858 times:

Hi Bryan.

The wing Leading edge devices you ask about are called. Slats and Krueger flaps.

Slats are movable part of the wing Leading edge (LE). They are placed from the engine nacelle and outboard on B737,747. DC9 have the whole wing LE with Slats.

When slats are extended they create a slot that will assist the airflow over the wing at high angles of attack. Like landing and take off. With slats you will get a laminar airflow on the wing upper side much longer than without. Your stall speed will get lower before the turbulence wins and you will stall out the wing.

Small aircraft can also have slats, but they are usualy a fixed slot in the wing LE and are therby called slots.

Inboard of the engine nacelles on B737,747 or the B727 you have in the photo (from the landing light and inbd). There are a lift augmenting device called Krueger flap. This LE flap will also assist the airflow over the wing at high angles of attack. But this Krueger flap makes a longer wing upper surface curve.

I suggest that you next time you are in a library, loan a book about aerodynamic basics. You will then understand it better than I can explain here.


User currently offlineBryan Becker From United States of America, joined Mar 2001, 333 posts, RR: 0
Reply 2, posted (15 years 1 month 3 weeks 5 days 6 hours ago) and read 2847 times:

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......................... Smile

-BryanBecker Big thumbs up

User currently offlineHeavyCapt From United States of America, joined Jan 2001, 62 posts, RR: 0
Reply 3, posted (15 years 1 month 3 weeks 5 days 6 hours ago) and read 2851 times:

What you are looking at is a picture of a combination of leading edge slats and flaps (the a/c being a 727). Some aircraft have all leading edge flaps (also called Krueger Flaps) such as the 747 family. Most other transport category aircraft have slats. At certain settings these devices working together produce more lift than drag at lower speeds. That is why they are used for take-off. They enhance the lift of the wing by changing the airfoil. At other settings (out in the breeze more) The devices used together produce quite a bit of drag as well. This is when they are used for landing. They augment the lift but also help maintain controllability in the slow speed regime.
As for how they work....if you took a cross section of a wing (airfoil) with all devices retracted, just a clean wing. Then select a point at the leading edge of the wing and label it A. Then select a point at the trailing edge and label it B. Now draw the shortest line possible from A to B over and under the wing. (Not a straight line....this is fluid dynamics not mathematics the air cannot pass through solid mass). You can see that the path from A to B under the wing is shorter than the path over the wing. This produces lift because the shorter path under has higher pressure than the longer path over. The wing will want to fill that space with lower pressure.
Now that you have done this with a clean wing. Extend the points A and B out from where you have them to allow for the extension of flaps and slats. You will see that the under path is still shorter than the over path. This is how they work. Remember that although these devices augment lift, they also produce drag. They are only efficient during the low speed regime. I hope this helps. Please remember that this is a HIGHLY oversimplified explanation, but you should get the picture.


User currently offlineBryan Becker From United States of America, joined Mar 2001, 333 posts, RR: 0
Reply 4, posted (15 years 1 month 3 weeks 5 days 5 hours ago) and read 2828 times:

How do know when you need to use them,do you lookat the performance charts? SmileTHANKS!!!!!!!!!

-BryanBecker Big thumbs up

User currently offlinePrebennorholm From Denmark, joined Mar 2000, 7142 posts, RR: 53
Reply 5, posted (15 years 1 month 3 weeks 4 days 23 hours ago) and read 2824 times:

Dear Brian,
They are always used for take off and landing.
The trailing edge flaps can be set at different angles, and they are normally deflected much more for landing than at take off.
In an emergency you may be able to land without extending them, but it would be quite tricky with a heavily loaded plane, and it would mean a lot more wear on wheels and brakes. And a much longer roll on the eunway.
If the runway is long enough it might be possible to take off without them, at least with a lightly loaded plane. But I would bet that it is illegal and a crew doing such a stunt would never fly again.
The common name for these things is "high lift devices". Remember that the wing is designed for efficient flight at 500 mph at thinner air at cruising altitude. That corresponds very roughly to 250 mph at sea level air density. This is far too fast for take off and landing. Therefore these high lift devices assist with greatly improved lift with a huge drag penalty. The drag doesn't mean very much because they are extended for only a short time - few minutes at most - and in the dense air at low altitude the engines can produce far more power that at high cruising altitude.
Remember what 737LAME wrote - go and borrow books about aerodynamics. Those high lift devices are much more complecated than described here, and their function - as well as aerodynamics in genereal - is facinating.
When studying high lift devices you will soon learn that they are nothing invented by mankind. Birds used them millions of years before the first man stood upright on his two legs.
Best regards, Preben Norholm

Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs
Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic Airflow Over Wing
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
A319/320 Over Wing Slide posted Sat Jan 6 2001 02:37:36 by Crew chf
A340-500 Frames And Wing Difference Over A343? posted Sun Jan 29 2006 02:28:13 by SWISSER
Why Water Condenses Over The Wing At Takeoff? posted Tue Apr 1 2003 22:04:13 by Aak777
Wand Over The Wing posted Sun Feb 4 2001 19:32:31 by Turtle
Flying Over A Lake In A Small Airplane posted Sun Dec 10 2006 06:23:13 by KingAirMan
Wing Antice On Boeing Aircraft. posted Fri Dec 8 2006 22:19:09 by TristarSteve
Half Of NWA's Pilots Over 50? posted Wed Dec 6 2006 20:02:28 by Blackbird
"Break Over" Feature On Seats posted Wed Nov 29 2006 09:59:50 by MarkHKG
Tri-motor - What's That On The Wing? posted Thu Nov 9 2006 00:50:53 by TimePilot
MIT/Cambridge To Unveil "silent" Flying Wing 11/06 posted Mon Nov 6 2006 02:24:03 by Lemurs

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format