Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Question To Pilots  
User currently offlineLordanmol From India, joined May 2005, 441 posts, RR: 0
Posted (10 years 5 months 3 weeks 2 days 22 hours ago) and read 3185 times:

To become a civillian pilot, what are the minimum requirements, pay, and how much does one pay in training school, and physical health.

I would love to know


5 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineFlyMIA From United States of America, joined Jun 2001, 7607 posts, RR: 7
Reply 1, posted (10 years 5 months 3 weeks 2 days 22 hours ago) and read 3178 times:

It really depends what country you live in. First I know the most about the US. I am not a pilot though.

Quoting Lordanmol (Thread starter):
To become a civilian pilot, what are the minimum requirements, pay, and how much does one pay in training school, and physical health.

For regional airline in the US you need your Twin Commercial pilot license and all ratings that come before. Twin, IFR ect.. CFI ratings also help but are not required. For a Major US regional minimum hours are around 1200 total time with around 150-200 Twin hours. And a commercial certificate, ATP is preferred but not required. IFR time is also necessary.
At a major US airline you would need all your ratings up to an ATP. You need to have around maybe 5000 total time as a minimum with atleast 1200 Turbine time and lots of Twin PIC, Turbine PIC is also important maybe around atleast 500 hours. Many people who go into the major might have as much as 9000 Hours with 2500 PIC Turbine. Also IFR time is very important and previous 121 experience.

If you pay for your own training weather it be at your FBO or and flight school it will cost atleast around $45,000 to get up to a commercial certificate. You can get training for free and get paided to fly for 8 years if you go to the Military. Now for Singapore if that is were you live I know Singapore has a program were they traing there pilots and you get in after alot of training.
Health you need to be in good health. Eyes need to be able to be corrtected to 20/20 and in good shape, No major problems, just overall good health. Eyes are what get most people from getting a Class one medical.

"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
User currently offlineVc10 From United Kingdom, joined Nov 2001, 1468 posts, RR: 15
Reply 2, posted (10 years 5 months 3 weeks 2 days 21 hours ago) and read 3168 times:

You will be glad to know that there is no need to be able to spell


User currently offlineGrbld From Netherlands, joined Dec 2005, 353 posts, RR: 2
Reply 3, posted (10 years 5 months 3 weeks 2 days 21 hours ago) and read 3155 times:

It really very much depends on your country. I know SIA used to have a sponsored scheme, where you apply there, go through training and are hired with SIA immediately. A friend of mine went that route and it's very good.

In other places, you can expect to fork out between US$45.000 and US$140.000 for your complete training to be eligible for the airlines. Note that in the US, the market is different from the rest of the world. In the US, the common route after your initial training is to become an instructor, then maybe a regional job on a turboprop, then to a small jet and then after maybe 10 years of flying and 4-5000 flight hours, get into the right seat of a narrowbody airliner (Boeing/Airbus). In Europe and Asia, it's "easier" to get straight into a Boeing or Airbus, but unfortunately, a side effect of this is that some airlines require you to pay for your type rating, which is the specialized course to get qualified on a single aircraft type, eg. Boeing 737 or A320. Figure this can add $40.000 to your debt as well.

There are no guarantees and it may cost a lot of money if you're lucky and a truckload of money if you're not, but if you absolutely positively have to fly, go do it. Get yourself checked out medically, call SIA for their pilot program and go for it.


User currently offlineWoodreau From United States of America, joined Sep 2001, 1190 posts, RR: 7
Reply 4, posted (10 years 5 months 3 weeks 2 days 18 hours ago) and read 3111 times:

The absolute minimum requirement to be a civilian pilot in the United States is 7 hours total time, and 16 years of age. That will get you a sport pilot certificate with lighter-than-air balloon privileges.

It won't pay anything at all, you'll have to pay to fly. But I'd guess you can probably get that certificate for relatively cheap compared to the commercial multi-engine airplane certificate with an instrument rating.

No medical required- "driver's license medical", you just have to certify that you won't die while you're piloting the balloon.

The absolute minimum for a commercial pilot certificate in the United States is 25 (twenty-five) hours total time and 100 flights (landings), and 18 years of age. That will allow you to fly gliders commercially.

I would second checking into the SIA thing. The process in which airlines train and hire pilots in Asia and Europe is different than in the United States. Since it appears you are a citizen of Singapore, you have a route that is available to you that is not available to others.

[Edited 2005-12-10 21:10:25]

Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.
User currently onlineHaveBlue From United States of America, joined Jan 2004, 2170 posts, RR: 1
Reply 5, posted (10 years 5 months 3 weeks 1 day 20 hours ago) and read 3005 times:

To become licensed as a Private Pilot in the U.S., which allows you to fly anywhere day or night as long as the weather is VFR and you don't fly into clouds, the cost at a local flight school is roughly $6,000 and around 60 hours of flight time. The time and money will vary with your aptitude and frequency of training. The FAA minimums are 40 hours if part 61 and 35 hours if part 141.

The cost and time for me were around $5,500 and 52 hours of flight time. Buying your time in 'blocks' as I did brings down the per hour cost of plane rental. I went part 141 and the cost I quoted includes my books, flight computer, headset, checkrides, ground school and flight time.

Here Here for Severe Clear!
Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic Question To Pilots
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Question To All Pilots posted Sat Nov 2 2002 11:13:29 by Mb339
Question To All Airbus Pilots posted Sun Aug 18 2002 17:28:13 by Mb339
A Question To Airline Pilots posted Mon Oct 23 2000 05:23:00 by Archie
Question To Plane Spotters! posted Sat Mar 18 2006 10:49:47 by Newagebird
A Question To My Fellow AMT's About NW Strike. posted Thu Sep 8 2005 07:24:37 by MX757
Question For Pilots: Landing Gear posted Sun Mar 21 2004 23:15:49 by AR385
CG Question For Pilots Or Despatchers posted Tue Apr 1 2003 18:33:48 by LMML 14/32
Question For Pilots And F/a's posted Mon Sep 9 2002 06:09:28 by AgnusBymaster
Question To All Cockpit Crew Members posted Thu Feb 15 2001 21:45:51 by Dino
To All Airline Pilots, ATC Question posted Thu Oct 21 2004 01:45:01 by ERAUPilotATC

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format