Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
What Are These Intakes For On The 777?  
User currently offlineGh123 From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Posted (9 years 7 months 16 hours ago) and read 7947 times:

I was under the impression that the air for the cabin came from the bleed system in the engines. If that is the case then what are these intakes for on the underside of the 777?

Thank you in advance.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Morrell - Avid Creations

6 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineFutureUALpilot From United States of America, joined May 2000, 2642 posts, RR: 7
Reply 1, posted (9 years 7 months 16 hours ago) and read 7950 times:

Intakes for the APU would be my best guess.

Life is better when you surf.
User currently offlineN231YE From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 2, posted (9 years 7 months 16 hours ago) and read 7946 times:

I believe those are for the Pressurization and Air Conditioning Systems (PACS).

Someone with better knowledge (like an A&P) will be able to explain it more.

User currently offlineAPFPilot1985 From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 3, posted (9 years 7 months 15 hours ago) and read 7891 times:

Those are the inlets for the A/C packs.

User currently offlineCdfMxTech From United States of America, joined Jul 2000, 1341 posts, RR: 24
Reply 4, posted (9 years 7 months 14 hours ago) and read 7877 times:

The air for the Air Conditoning/pressurization system does come from the pneumatics supplied by engines (and the APU of course). But these Ram Air Inlets are necessary to cool the bleed air in order for it to be used as conditioned air. The process of getting the air to the required temperature involes a process of taking hot air, then cooling it, heating it again, then cooling it again (to explain it in simple terms). This COLD (or better said cooler) ram air aids in doing that.

Hope this helps.

User currently offlineNonfirm From United States of America, joined Sep 2005, 434 posts, RR: 0
Reply 5, posted (9 years 7 months 13 hours ago) and read 7838 times:

Ram air inlet for the a/c system.  airplane 

User currently offlineHAWK21M From India, joined Jan 2001, 31875 posts, RR: 54
Reply 6, posted (9 years 7 months 11 hours ago) and read 7788 times:

Ram Air Inlet Doors.

Think of the brighter side!
Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic What Are These Intakes For On The 777?
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
What Are Those Two Lumps In The 777 Cockpit? posted Wed Aug 17 2005 00:57:48 by FlyingHippo
What Are These On The 737 Yoke? posted Tue Mar 5 2002 01:36:13 by Bio15
What Are These "wires" On Bae146 posted Sat Aug 27 2005 21:40:13 by Goinv
What's This On The 777 Landing Gear? posted Fri May 6 2005 10:45:13 by Caboclo
What Is This For (On The Bae 146) posted Sun Aug 15 2004 15:47:02 by DeltaWings
What Are These JT3D Cowling Openings For? posted Sun Dec 29 2002 06:51:49 by Happy-flier
What Are These Cartridges Good For? posted Sat Aug 3 2002 19:04:22 by Domi.ga
What Are These Called? posted Sat Jan 21 2006 00:52:10 by United787
What Are They Used For? posted Wed Dec 14 2005 17:20:16 by ArcticTern
Explain These Doo-dads On The MD-82 posted Tue Mar 29 2005 21:33:18 by Sleekjet

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format