Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
What Is This Flap On The DC10 For?  
User currently offlineNEMA From United Kingdom, joined Feb 2006, 810 posts, RR: 0
Posted (8 years 10 months 6 days 16 hours ago) and read 5956 times:

Can someone explain what this flap/door is for on the DC10.

You can see it on the following a.net photo just under the windows directly below the letters N & T of International.


I have just seen an interesting video where this flap is open as the aircraft powers up for take off and it then, as the aircraft begins to accelerate, it closes. Is this automatic, was it forgotton or do you suggest it was closed manually by the crew at that time?

There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!
2 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offline474218 From United States of America, joined Oct 2005, 6340 posts, RR: 9
Reply 1, posted (8 years 10 months 6 days 16 hours ago) and read 5946 times:

It's the forward outflow valve.

User currently offlineAvioniker From United States of America, joined Dec 2001, 1109 posts, RR: 10
Reply 2, posted (8 years 10 months 6 days 15 hours ago) and read 5919 times:

It's automatic.
From the time the aircraft starts its takeoff run, until it passes through 5000 ft, the pressurization controller maintains the aircraft cabin at the field elevation.
That's in case they have to return to the runway.
Keeps ears from popping and limits undue stress on a number of components that are vented to the outside air.
That is, of course, if the engineer is using the automatic mode of the pressurization controller.


One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533
Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic What Is This Flap On The DC10 For?
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
What Is This Lump On The 737? posted Sun Oct 1 2006 13:18:37 by Monteycarlos
What Is This 'thingy' On The A340 posted Sun Aug 15 2004 10:21:32 by Nwfltattendant
What Is This Device Above The A/P Control Panel posted Thu Jul 14 2005 19:09:07 by Xms3200
What Is This Duct On Air Force One? posted Sat May 14 2005 22:49:02 by Andz
What's With This Engine on the A 340? posted Thu May 20 2004 14:39:51 by Tappan
What Is This Small Wing-root Intake For? posted Wed Oct 16 2002 19:28:46 by Bio15
What Is This? (something In The 742 Cockpit) posted Thu May 30 2002 15:24:38 by Tg 747-300
What's All This Stuff On The Runway? posted Wed Aug 29 2001 06:42:42 by Tbar220
What Is That Noise On The 727-200 posted Sun Jun 18 2000 21:29:04 by Nasmal
What Is This For (On The Bae 146) posted Sun Aug 15 2004 15:47:02 by DeltaWings

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format