Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
US And Canada Airspace Differences  
User currently offlineFlyMKG From United States of America, joined Jan 2005, 195 posts, RR: 1
Posted (7 years 10 months 3 weeks 6 days 14 hours ago) and read 6695 times:

I've got a student that wants to fly from Port Huron, MI directly to Sandusky, OH. I have no experience with flying through Canadian airspace and was wondering if there were any major differences. We will be IFR so I'm talkin cruising altitudes, lost comm procedures, and things like that. Any info would be appreciated.


Essential Power, Operating Generator.
3 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineLongHauler From Canada, joined Mar 2004, 6059 posts, RR: 43
Reply 1, posted (7 years 10 months 3 weeks 6 days 6 hours ago) and read 6658 times:

Flying IFR, you are unlikely to notice anything different at all, as Canadian ATC is exactly the same as American ATC. You'll go from Cleveland Center to Toronto Center to Cleveland Centre just like you were flying in the States.

On the two examples you mention lost comms and cruising altitudes, there is little difference.

The only slight difference I have noticed between FARs and CARs involves takeoff/landing minima, takeoff alternates and destination alternates, and as you are not actually landing in Canada these will have no bearing on your flight.

For your reference:


Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
User currently offlineCactusHP From United States of America, joined May 2004, 348 posts, RR: 2
Reply 2, posted (7 years 10 months 3 weeks 6 days 2 hours ago) and read 6621 times:

I actually think the ZOB covers that little part of Ontario. So you'll stick with ZOB the whole way, then off to CLE tracon.

Sorry, I was on the landline
User currently offlinePHLapproach From Philippines, joined Mar 2004, 1291 posts, RR: 16
Reply 3, posted (7 years 10 months 3 weeks 5 days 18 hours ago) and read 6594 times:

The following message is from one of my friends since he is not a member of airliners.net but would like to respond to your question....:

This is very coincidental because I'm planning on doing this trip VFR in a few months with Cactushp. I don't know if this will help to explain the VFR side, but I'll do it anyhow  Smile . We'll file a DVFR flightplan, get airborne, call up Selfridge on 119.6, they'll give us a squawk code (and flight following) which will clear us into Canadian Airspace and when you get around the Detroit Area they'll switch us to Cleveland Center on 127.7. Once you're over Lake Erie you'll be back in US airspace and you can request cancellation of flight following and just land at Sandusky. For $20 the FBO will take you to and pick you up from Cedar Point.

You do not need to have a Radiotelephone Operators permit because the FAR states that one is required only when talking to a foreign station. Because Toronto center starts just around Sarnia and all the way over to just about south of London, you shouldn't have any problem talking to Cleveland Center. If you'd like to look at the demarcation line for the two centers take a look at the Enroute L-30 chart.

I hope you have fun, again, I haven't done this flight yet, but will be doing it soon. Maybe we'll be going on the same day as you and your student.

Also, if you have questions, look through the CAR, call AOPA or flight service.

Take Care,
Michael Graham

[Edited 2008-07-06 07:29:44]

Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic US And Canada Airspace Differences
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Differences Between US And European Airspace posted Mon Feb 16 2004 22:43:47 by BMAbound
Differences In Aviation Law/ops Between US And GB posted Fri Feb 10 2006 21:12:39 by AC21365
Differences Between US And UK Air Traffic Control posted Fri Nov 25 2005 08:51:10 by Bruce
US And EU Maintenance Approvals posted Thu Feb 8 2007 10:33:34 by Max78
Airspace Differences posted Thu May 12 2005 23:46:47 by Glom
Requirements For Flying US To Canada... posted Sun Jan 4 2004 04:01:20 by JAL777
Dc 10 And MD 11 Differences posted Wed Oct 8 2003 18:41:35 by Bongo
Does US Airspace Ever Extend Into Canada? posted Thu Feb 7 2008 10:10:56 by N353SK
US Airways East And West Pilot Question posted Fri Jul 4 2008 18:42:56 by SXDFC
CRJ-100 And -200 Differences? posted Sat Apr 26 2008 21:43:35 by NWADC9

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format