Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Black & White Circular Type Thing Beside Throttle?  
User currently offlineTurboprop From Canada, joined May 2006, 0 posts, RR: 0
Posted (15 years 9 months 3 weeks 6 days 9 hours ago) and read 3376 times:

Iv'e seen on Air Bus videos a black and white wheel type thing on both sides of the throttle. It can spin. What is this? Sorry I don't know how to show a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks

3 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineILS 15 From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 1, posted (15 years 9 months 3 weeks 6 days 9 hours ago) and read 3309 times:

This would be the trim wheel. It fine tunes the pitch


User currently offlineFDXmech From United States of America, joined Mar 2000, 3251 posts, RR: 30
Reply 2, posted (15 years 9 months 3 weeks 6 days 9 hours ago) and read 3297 times:

Hi Turboprop:
Those are the horizontal stabilizer pitch trim wheels.
When the horizontal stab (or THS as Airbus refers to it meaning "trimable horizontal stabilizer) moves from inputs from the autopilot or control switch on pilots yoke (A300-600), the movement feeds back to the trim wheels to show that the stabilizer is moving.
The trim wheel has another function as a standby control to the THS. By moving the trim wheel, this will override the electrical controls of the THS and mechanically control the hydraulic control valve to move the stabilizer.

You're only as good as your last departure.
User currently offlineJETPILOT From United States of America, joined May 1999, 3130 posts, RR: 27
Reply 3, posted (15 years 9 months 3 weeks 6 days 6 hours ago) and read 3278 times:

It is interesting to note that on the A320,330,340 series planes the pilot cannot trim the aircraft in flight. He can only set the takeoff CG.

The pilot normaly trims the airfoil to a neutral position by feel according to control column forces. These Airbusses have a control stick which gives no feedback making it impossible to trim the plane by normal means.

Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic Black & White Circular Type Thing Beside Throttle?
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Black & White Circular Type Thing Beside Throttle? posted Fri Aug 11 2000 04:51:40 by Turboprop
Red & White Stripes On ASI Needle- Why? posted Fri Mar 12 2004 23:31:12 by Mr Spaceman
Red & White Lights/No2 Engine Related Post posted Sun Feb 15 2004 15:07:32 by HAWK21M
Flight Data Recorder Black Box & Weather Radar posted Sun May 21 2006 19:53:43 by JulianUK
BA 737 & 757 Black Nose Bands posted Sun Sep 11 2005 01:39:49 by Hals
What Is That Little Black "thing"? posted Tue Jul 6 2004 17:37:04 by Qb001
MBF & IE7 posted Fri Nov 24 2006 16:17:53 by HAWK21M
Funny Or F&*(@$# Up Write Ups..... posted Fri Nov 24 2006 03:02:17 by Zvocio79
A&P Jobs With USAir In PHL posted Tue Nov 14 2006 08:58:20 by MXSUP
A-340-200/300-Type Reversers posted Fri Nov 10 2006 21:47:29 by Blackbird

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format