Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Flap Types  
User currently offlineRombac111 From Uruguay, joined Jul 1999, 49 posts, RR: 0
Posted (14 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 17 hours ago) and read 2833 times:

Hello !

I was searching all forums about this topic... I am sure that last year I saw something posted about flap types... but I can not find it now with the search function  Sad

I would like some help on how to reach that same post through any specific word or if you know how to get, or directly if you can tell me the flap types that exists on airliners, Boeings, Airbuses, Tupolevs and so on... may be they are the same for small size aircrafts but if not I do not care them...

Mostly, I am interested on the B737-200, for example vs. a MD-88.

If I am correct, a kind of flap is called "Fowler" but I am not sure, that is why I am asking you all  Smile

Well, thank you very much guys !!!

(I hope you understand me)

Martìn Cabrera

2 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineNKP S2 From United States of America, joined Dec 1999, 1714 posts, RR: 5
Reply 1, posted (14 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 16 hours ago) and read 2797 times:

I'll try to explain, but it will be difficult without actually seeing illustrations and having to explain other terms herein: 737-200 uses triple-slotted fowler flaps. The flaps are mounted on roller bearing carriages and roll down tracks, with the sequencing of the fore, mid, and aft flap being accomplished via cables/linkages. -- The flap tracks curve down progressively more sharply the farther aft they are. -- The fowler flap design allows the first few units of movement to be more or less paralell with the upper camber of the wing- thus increasing wing chord and of course lift. As the flaps travel further down they curve down and produce more and more drag. -- The whole DC9/MD8X series uses basically a simple hinged ( double-slotted ) flap design, but even this description is a bit oversimplified: They are hinged in such a manner ( with the fulcrum being about a foot below the wing in farings ) so that the first part of their travel they are, in effect, fowler flaps. The further the travel the more sharply they go down. -- The MD's use simple linear hydraulic actuators ( located in the hinge fairings ) and the 737 uses jacksrews/ballnuts. It should be noted that not all fowler flaps are deployed with jackscrews though. --

User currently offlineLZ-TLT From Germany, joined Apr 2001, 431 posts, RR: 0
Reply 2, posted (14 years 6 months 3 weeks 3 days 7 hours ago) and read 2726 times:

A short description(however, not as nearly exact like NKP S2's):

Split Flap - just a part of the wing(lower, trailing edge) deflecting downwards. Movement doesn't affect the wing's upper surface. Used on DH Comet, Avro Lancaster, Shackleton and some other types

"Simple" flap - moves back, extending the wing chorde, apparently deflecting also downwards

Fowler Flap - moves back AND down from the flap well, deflecting simultaneously downwards. Used on: Il-62, Lockheed Electra, Vickers Vanguard, Convair CV 440/550

Slotted, Double-slotted and Triple-Slotted flaps: here, the flap isn't just a single slab of metal, but consists of more than one section. The clue is, the sections are divided in line more or less paralel to the wing's trailing edge. Further, there is a small gap between the sections left intentionally to accelerate airstream going through and then passing over the flap's upper surface(gives a bit extra lift). Slotted flaps have only one such gap between wing and flap, double slotted flaps consist of two sections and tripple slotted of three. Used on(most prominent examples): B727, Tu-154. Also, Folwer-flaps could be of slotted type.

For further informations check the photos here, there are some really good ones where you can see what it's all about.

Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic Flap Types
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
737 Flap-track Fairing Vibration posted Sat Nov 11 2006 02:40:15 by AgnusBymaster
Flap Retract Schedule On Go Around posted Sun Oct 29 2006 10:17:30 by Speedracer1407
Flap Track Systems posted Sat Oct 14 2006 14:25:20 by Avro85
Question About Thrust Reverser Types posted Tue Aug 15 2006 03:56:23 by YULspotter
Finnair MD11 Flap Track Fairings posted Wed Aug 9 2006 21:20:11 by LawnDart
Help With Chemtrail Types posted Sun Jul 30 2006 20:52:23 by RichPhitzwell
Types Of B757s posted Tue May 23 2006 12:55:31 by HAWK21M
Zero Flap Landing At TRF Today (Ryanair) posted Tue May 16 2006 21:51:38 by MerlinIIIB
Aircraft Types (i.e. 777-2__) posted Sat Apr 22 2006 17:40:12 by ANITIX87
Airlines And Different Flap Settings? posted Fri Dec 16 2005 18:52:34 by Qantas744ER

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format