Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Canadian CPL To Australian Casa CPL  
User currently offlineAeolus From Mexico, joined Aug 2007, 378 posts, RR: 0
Posted (4 years 1 month 3 days 4 hours ago) and read 5516 times:

Hello all,
I'm currently looking at moving to Australia and would like to know what it takes and how much it would cost to make the conversion from a Canadian CPL to an Australian (CASA) CPL...
I've read a few forums online, nothing too useful and the CASA website I found was a bit too simplified and didn't go into much detail.

I have my Multi-engine and Instrument Ratings (ME-IR) and I read that I could just pass an Air Law and Instrumentation written test, and just present my current license and would get it all done... but I just don't think it's that simple.

Anyone who has done it or is doing it, could you please give me some guidance?

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!


Flying under the clouds above!
2 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineajd1992 From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 1, posted (4 years 1 month 3 days 1 hour ago) and read 5490 times:

It may very well be that simple.

I'm not an expert by any means, but some times it does literally work like moving to another country with a driving licence - you just show them your old one, maybe have to pass a written test, then you get a new licence.

I'd fire them off an e-mail detailing your situation and see if they can help.

Failing that, call them up. A skype account will make it a lot cheaper if you add a few Euros credit rather than paying a high per minute rate to Australia!

User currently offlinezeke From Hong Kong, joined Dec 2006, 10824 posts, RR: 76
Reply 2, posted (4 years 1 month 2 days 15 hours ago) and read 5447 times:

Quoting Aeolus (Thread starter):

Firstly, to work in Australia, you should have the right to work, assuming you will, you can do a few things before leaving Canada.

You will need to open a file with CASA, they call this an Aviation Reference Number (ARN), everything you do relating to flying will be on this file, you will also need a security check, it is a requirement in Australia to hold a pilots licence. You can make the ARN and security checks applications while you are in Canada, it can take a month or more to process. They will issue you a letter with your ARN and a ID card that you will need to get airside on most airports when completed. You should also send in the form for the CPL licence conversion.

The appropriate forms are Form 1162 (ARN), Form 498 (ASIC), and Form 213 (CPL conversion), these are all available for download off the CASA website under "Manuals and Forms". I would also attach a letter to the application to authorize Transport Canada to release your licence details to CASA, download the CASA Form 078 and use it as a template to write a letter, where it says CASA, change it to Transport Canada. I do not know if TC needs this, but providing it with the forms removes any doubt and will cut down the processing time, also include your email address, and state it is okay for them to contact you by email if they need any further information. It may take 2 weeks for a letter to reach you, it is all about cutting down the processing time. Australian privacy laws prohibit CASA from releasing of your information or contacting you by electronic means unless you have given them prior permission.

If you fly any multi-engine aircraft in Canada, you may want to bring these across to the Australian licence, you need to be "endorsed" on each complex aircraft in Australia, e.g. BE76, PA31, PC12.You need to get the documentation needed from Canada to support the application while you are still there.

On Form 213, under aircraft endorsements, you will want to tick everything you can prove you have flown. Next to "other" put all multi-engine aircraft that you have flown, in Australia you have to do a separate endowment for each type, e.g. BE76, C310, PC12, all of the endorsements available are listed in CAO 40.1.0. Also tick anything else like tail wheel, floats, skies, variable pitch if you can prove you have flown them.
This is what they are after, while you are in Canada get the paperwork together (also have a look at Form 209 to see what information they are trying to obtain)

Evidence that he or she holds the overseas endorsement. This can be an endorsed licence or other authorisation issued by the responsible aviation authority that issued the licence permitting the pilot to fly the specified aircraft in that country eg, certification of validation (if the endorsement was obtained in that country), or Special Purpose Pilot Authorisation issued by the FAA to pilots flying US-registered aircraft overseas in some circumstances (issued as command or co-pilot); or
Documents confirming the successful completion of an appropriate training course, as well as details of the course; and
Statement from the responsible aviation authority in the country/state confirming that the training completed qualifies the person for the issue of an endorsement in that country/state and would have been put on a licence if the person held a licence.
Original logbooks
Form 639 Flight Crew Photo ID/Student Pilot Licence Application
Form 209 Aircraft Endorsement on the Basis of Overseas Qualifications Application
Any other documentation that supports the application for recognition of the endorsement
(For example, letters of approval from overseas aviation authorities authorising the pilots for check duties on the aircraft type)
Note: Applicants applying for an endorsement at the same time as a pilot authorisation use Form 213 CASA Authorisation on the basis of Overseas Qualifications Application.

So you will want to send off form 1162, 498, 213, letter to release information from TC, evidence of type flown, as well as certified copies of your TC licence, medical certificate and logbook extract. I am not sure if they will be used to the new TC booklet licence, make sure you send the ID page, the licence page, your latest PPC page, and medical page. They should contact TC anyway to get the details verified. KEEP A COPY OF EVERYTHING YOU SEND, if possible, also scan in each form/ piece of information.

It maybe useful to scan in each form and email them to CASA at clarc@casa.gov.au and ask hem if they will need any further information before you post it off, and if them will accept the Transport Canada language proficiency.

You will need a medical, I do not think you will be able to do this in Canada before you leave. For the initial issue of a Class1 medical you need a physical and an eye examination, I looked at the CASA website, I could not see any CASA Designated Aviation Ophthalmologists listed in North America.

You will need to do at least two "written" exams, which are multiple choice. The exams are CPL human factors and CPL air law, you may also need to do an English language test, depending if CASA will recognize the LP on the TC licence (my TC licence just says LP EN, it does not list the ICAO level). You cannot walk into a CASA office and write the exams (like TC), they are done by an external provider, ASL which does the CyberExams, you will need to book the exams with them, and sit the multiple choice exams on their computers at one of their testing centres. This is similar to laser grade or CATS for the FAA exams, however not as flexible. You cannot book an exam until you have your ARN issued by CASA. Any questions you got wring will be listed on the knowledge defiance report (KDR), do not misplace the KDR or exam results, you need it for your flight test.

Once you have passed those two exams, have an English PC, medical, ASIC, you can do your CPL flight test. That will give you a day VFR CPL. As part of the oral for the CPL, as well as asking you all the topic areas on the back of the CPL test form (Form 090), you will also be asked questions from your KDR.

This is from Form 213

For conversion of CPLA, CPLH and ATPH
For overseas pilots who wish to convert their CPLA, CPLH or ATPH licences the following is required;
1. Fill out and lodge form 1162
2. Read and comply with the requirements for issue of an ASIC or AVID; http://casa.gov.au/fcl/asicavid.htm fill out and lodge form 498 or 499(AVID) http://casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form498.pdf or for an AVID http://casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form499.pdf
3. Send in Form 1162, 213 and certified copies of overseas licence, medical certificate and logbook extract. This will allow CASA to grant the applicant an Aviation Reference Number (ARN) and subsequent access to CyberExams. This will additionally allow the applicant to book and sit the relevant exams with ASL
4. Obtain an Australian Medical Certificate (minimum of Class 2)
5. Pass the relevant theory exam (CLWA for Commercial Aeroplane; CLWH for
Commercial Helicopter or CLWH, Human Factors CHUF and AALW for ATP Helicopter)
6. Meet the English Language Proficiency standards. (Must have ICAO level endorsed on licence or a completed Australian assessment form. Licence stating English Proficient is not acceptable)
7. Pass the relevant flight test (not required for ATP(H) conversion)
8. Complete and send the required application forms;
CPLA: http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form090.pdf CPLH: http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form190.pdf ATPH: http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regul....pdf.

To get the instrument rating, you will need to sit the instrument rating exam, it is a fair bit harder than the TC INRAT one. Once you have passed that, then you can do your instrument rating flight test. Same as the CPL theory exams, keep the KDR as they will ask questions from those deficiency areas.

A number of schools do licence conversions and train foreign students all the time, best to go with one that does that sort of thing as they know the process. It is mainly a paperwork exercise that you can do before you leave, the flying in Australia outside the capital cities is mainly class G, and the services available can be very limited.

We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar
Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic Canadian CPL To Australian Casa CPL
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Indian CPL V/S NZ/USA CPL .....Which Is Better? posted Fri May 28 2010 21:01:43 by jayeshrulz
FAA CPL ME IR To JAA Atpl In London posted Sun Mar 14 2010 16:27:09 by OestbyG
CPL-Fixed Wing To CPL-Rotor posted Sat Apr 7 2007 03:10:39 by Corey07850
What To Do With Full CPL IR Qualification? posted Sun Jul 18 2004 14:11:01 by Ts-ior
Change From CPL To FPL. What Do You Need To Do? posted Thu Dec 6 2001 11:17:55 by SUDDEN
JAR CPL Into US PPL? posted Sat Feb 27 2010 15:33:00 by flyinTLow
Sample CPL Oral Question posted Thu Mar 2 2006 19:35:20 by Corey07850
CPL Syllabus? posted Sat Jul 3 2004 20:26:42 by BMAbound
CPL/IR And Atpl Training Cost posted Thu Apr 15 2004 02:16:36 by Gordonsmall
Icao To Canadian License posted Sun Feb 29 2004 19:49:51 by PIA747

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format