Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
What Are Those Nitches  
User currently offlineDavid B. From United States of America, joined Jun 2001, 3148 posts, RR: 5
Posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 4 days 19 hours ago) and read 2635 times:

What are those small triangular nitches on the bottom of the plane?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jason Taperell

Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight
4 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineXFSUgimpLB41X From United States of America, joined Aug 2000, 4300 posts, RR: 34
Reply 1, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 4 days 18 hours ago) and read 2593 times:

They are the intakes for the air conditioning packs. There's 3 on the 747, 3 on the DC-10... and thats all fun facts that i can pull out of my rear-end at the moment.

Chicks dig winglets.
User currently offlineIMissPiedmont From United States of America, joined May 2001, 6544 posts, RR: 29
Reply 2, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 4 days 18 hours ago) and read 2578 times:

I hope you wiped them off before posting. That's what they are though.

 Laugh out loud

The day you stop learning is the day you should die.
User currently offlineFDXmech From United States of America, joined Mar 2000, 3251 posts, RR: 30
Reply 3, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 4 days 6 hours ago) and read 2513 times:

To be more specific, these ram air intakes are used to direct cooling air to the air conditioning (pack) heat exchangers. The ram air enters at the intake and exits at the 3 square exhaust ports several feet aft on the belly.

The air entering these "scoops" do not enter the cabin for your breathing pleasure.  Smile

You're only as good as your last departure.
User currently offlineTechRep From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 4, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 4 days 1 hour ago) and read 2462 times:

They are called Naca Scoops or Naca ducts to ACM's.


Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic What Are Those Nitches
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
What Are Those "Things" On The Tail? posted Sat Nov 12 2005 22:34:35 by Bozo
What Are Those Two Lumps In The 777 Cockpit? posted Wed Aug 17 2005 00:57:48 by FlyingHippo
What Are Those Things? posted Fri Feb 27 2004 04:47:08 by Sleekjet
What Are Those "whiskers" posted Wed Apr 10 2002 00:28:39 by David B.
What Are Those Nitches posted Tue Apr 2 2002 05:19:10 by David B.
What Are Those Holes For? posted Thu Jan 3 2002 05:39:38 by David B.
What Are Those posted Sun Oct 7 2001 04:58:49 by David B.
What Are These Intakes For On The 777? posted Wed Nov 1 2006 04:13:28 by Gh123
What Are The Small Bars On Top Of Doors? posted Tue Apr 18 2006 14:45:08 by Keta
What Are Winglets For? posted Wed Apr 5 2006 07:59:35 by Okees

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format