Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
What Is This? On A UAL 777  
User currently offlineUal777contrail From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Posted (12 years 8 months 10 hours ago) and read 4258 times:

I know this plane is in storage,what is this yellow stuff on the tail?
it looked at first like a tie down,now maybe some tape. what is the purpose of this?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Banyai-Riepl

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Banyai-Riepl


ual 777 contrail

4 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineL'Espace180 From France, joined Sep 2000, 938 posts, RR: 4
Reply 1, posted (12 years 8 months 6 hours ago) and read 4196 times:

I guess it's a protection, look at this picture, on the same place as where the tapes are, there are two round things (dunno the use, maybe something to mesure air pressure for the flight instrumen, that's just a guess)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

User currently offlineUal777contrail From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 2, posted (12 years 8 months 5 hours ago) and read 4163 times:

thanks L,
i wonder what those little rings are? i should have looked at another 777 not in storage to see what was under that tape.
i feel another queston coming on,what are those little rings.

thanks again, ual 777 contrail

User currently offlineAtlamt From United States of America, joined Sep 2001, 241 posts, RR: 3
Reply 3, posted (12 years 8 months 4 hours ago) and read 4154 times:

The rings are just paint showing where the static port is. The actual static port is about the size of a quarter. In storage and during longer maintance checks they are covered to protect them and to keep them from getting clogged.

As for what they do. This page explains it very well. http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/PSSI.htm

Fwd to MCO and Placard
User currently offlineCdfmxtech From United States of America, joined Jul 2000, 1341 posts, RR: 26
Reply 4, posted (12 years 7 months 4 weeks 1 day 21 hours ago) and read 4047 times:

Those static ports are called Gust Supression ports. There are 4 ports (2 on each side). These ports measure differential pressure on both sides of the vertical stabilizer.
These inputs are to detect yaw rate. This system does essentially the same thing as a Yaw Damper, but the B777 doesn't have a system called Yaw Damper. It's called Gust Supression, but it does the same thing (aid in roll control and improves pax comfort).

Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic What Is This? On A UAL 777
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
What Is This On The Archer? posted Fri Jul 14 2006 21:16:22 by Sushka
What Is This On The A330 Above The Door? posted Sun Aug 28 2005 15:56:20 by Aerlingus330
What Is This On A DC9-10 posted Thu Aug 28 2003 01:00:26 by Bruce
What Is This On Top Of The MCP (Red Led Display) posted Wed Apr 16 2003 04:01:18 by Rohan737
What Is This Lump On The 737? posted Sun Oct 1 2006 13:18:37 by Monteycarlos
What Is Wrong On This Finnair A340? posted Tue Jul 18 2006 21:36:41 by Lufthansi
What Is This Duct On Air Force One? posted Sat May 14 2005 22:49:02 by Andz
What's This On The 777 Landing Gear? posted Fri May 6 2005 10:45:13 by Caboclo
What Is This Green Coating On The Aircraft? posted Thu Feb 24 2005 22:41:24 by Bio15
What Is This For (On The Bae 146) posted Sun Aug 15 2004 15:47:02 by DeltaWings

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format