Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
What Is This Little Turbine Thing  
User currently offlineBruce From United States of America, joined May 1999, 5099 posts, RR: 13
Posted (13 years 4 months 2 weeks 2 days 13 hours ago) and read 2894 times:

Sorry i dont have a picture of it but looking at a DC-10 I saw a little white turbine fan looking thing sticking out of the fuselage near the front landing gear. It's like it had come out of the side and was facing forward. What is that for? I have not seen it on any other kinds of planes.


Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens
3 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineCdfmxtech From United States of America, joined Jul 2000, 1341 posts, RR: 24
Reply 1, posted (13 years 4 months 2 weeks 2 days 13 hours ago) and read 2882 times:

ADG - Air Driven generator/ Supplies Electrics OR hydraulics in the event of loss of either.

User currently offlineOPNLguy From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 2, posted (13 years 4 months 2 weeks 2 days 13 hours ago) and read 2896 times:

It's called a RAT, for ram air turbine, or alternatively, an ADG, for air-driven generator. Depending upon the aircraft, it provides another source of electrical power and/or hydraulic pressure. Not all aircraft have them, and there have been numerous threads on a.net about these, inclusing one just within the last couple of weeks. Lots of pictures too...

User currently offlineCovert From Ghana, joined Oct 2001, 1586 posts, RR: 2
Reply 3, posted (13 years 4 months 2 weeks 2 days 13 hours ago) and read 2895 times:

Why dont you try here:


Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic What Is This Little Turbine Thing
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
What Is This Thing? posted Sat Aug 27 2005 04:35:26 by JeffM
What Is That Little Black "thing"? posted Tue Jul 6 2004 17:37:04 by Qb001
What Is The Little Thing Hanging From The Wing? posted Fri Jun 11 2004 01:08:08 by FrontierCPT
What Is This In The Delta MD-11 Cockpit? posted Mon Oct 30 2006 10:11:58 by MD11Fanatic
What Is This Lump On The 737? posted Sun Oct 1 2006 13:18:37 by Monteycarlos
What Is This On The Archer? posted Fri Jul 14 2006 21:16:22 by Sushka
What Is This? (see Photo) posted Mon Oct 31 2005 23:01:01 by Vio
What Is This Instrument posted Wed Sep 14 2005 15:24:22 by PW2040
What Is This On The A330 Above The Door? posted Sun Aug 28 2005 15:56:20 by Aerlingus330
What Is This Device Above The A/P Control Panel posted Thu Jul 14 2005 19:09:07 by Xms3200

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format