Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Icao To Canadian License  
User currently offlinePIA747 From Pakistan, joined Apr 2003, 624 posts, RR: 0
Posted (11 years 11 months 2 weeks 3 days 9 hours ago) and read 4188 times:

I am looking to convert my ICAO license to a Canadian one by the quickest and the cheapest option available. I would also like to add my rating to the Canadian license. I live in Montreal, so ideally i would like to do this close to home. Any suggestions?

4 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineB747Skipper From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 1, posted (11 years 11 months 2 weeks 3 days 8 hours ago) and read 4169 times:

If you hold a PVT or higher grade (CPL or ATPL) ICAO licence, Transport Canada, like any other country of ICAO, such as the US/FAA will issue you a validation which can be used for private, non-commercial flying of aircraft, with all your ratings and qualifications.
I believe however, that Transport Canada, same as the FAA, will require you to pass the written portion of the Instrument Rating examination, in order to give you instrument flying privileges on Canadian registry aircraft...
This practice is common to most ICAO countries.
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

User currently offlinePIA747 From Pakistan, joined Apr 2003, 624 posts, RR: 0
Reply 2, posted (11 years 11 months 2 weeks 3 days 8 hours ago) and read 4149 times:

also for the 6 monthly renewal of my Canadian License, do i need to get a seperate PC and medical done?.. or can it be updated based on the renewal of my other ICAO license.

User currently offlineFly727 From Mexico, joined Jul 2003, 1798 posts, RR: 16
Reply 3, posted (11 years 11 months 2 weeks 3 days 8 hours ago) and read 4148 times:

This is my case, hope it helps;

I hold PPL with Inst. privileges in the US, but also have an ICAO Mexican Comm, Multi, Radio Op, 727FE, etc, licenses/ratings. A few days ago I called an US FSDO and asked them about validating them in a US commercial. Unfortunately that is not allowed anymore (before 1997 it was) and is now mandatory to pass the written and the checkride. What they offered me was giving me a private and instrument (which I already earned the hard way -written, oral, checkrides-).

I still have a question though....

How come many Mexican-operated airplanes with US registry are flown by pilots that didn't even get a PPL in the US? Another example, Allegro Airlines, the company I used to work for, once leased a couple of Canadian 727's and I'm sure none of the crews held a Canadian license. Do the airline gets some special permit for their pilots or what?

RM  Smile

There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!
User currently offlineB747Skipper From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 4, posted (11 years 11 months 2 weeks 3 days 6 hours ago) and read 4126 times:

Hola RM -
These mexican airplanes operated under USA registry, are flown by pilots who all maintain a FAR 61.77 Special Purpose certificate. It permits them to act as a crewmember on US registry aircraft operated by their airline. The 61.77 is issued with no further tests, but is only valid on those airplanes.
In the case of a validation, as I originally explained...the medical test in USA (or Canada) is not required. Maintaining the "original" license on which the validation was issued is necessary, by a check ride which meets the requirements of that country or/and... a medical.
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic Icao To Canadian License
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Type Rating From Non-US Country To A US License posted Tue Nov 29 2005 09:46:51 by Bahadir
How To Convert To UK License? posted Tue Mar 1 2005 05:05:52 by Inbound
Is 30 Too Old To Obtain A Comm. Pilots License? posted Tue Mar 30 2004 17:30:03 by B727
How To Get FCC License posted Fri Mar 19 2004 18:21:57 by Airworthy
Canadian AME License/FAA A&P posted Sun Jul 20 2003 17:33:47 by Cdfmxtech
Converting An A&P License To AME posted Wed Sep 19 2001 20:24:13 by Cdfmxtech
Transition To Embraer posted Tue Dec 5 2006 04:50:39 by Flametech21
How Long Was The 757 100 Suppost To Be? posted Sun Dec 3 2006 01:10:58 by 747400sp
To Soap Or Not To Soap? posted Tue Nov 28 2006 08:04:19 by Turbonytro
How To Load A Multi-destination Flight? posted Wed Nov 22 2006 19:25:43 by Tobi3334

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format