Sponsor Message:
Aviation Technical / Operations Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
FCC Radio License - What Is That?  
User currently offlineSaab2000 From Switzerland, joined Jun 2001, 1621 posts, RR: 11
Posted (11 years 8 months 1 week 7 hours ago) and read 4624 times:

Hello All you FAA Pilots out there!

I have a job interview coming up and am in the process of assembling all my necessary papers. One of those papers is the FCC Radio License. What is this? I was never informed of any such license, other than that about 6 years ago when I got my Private License I was told that this is no longer a requirement. I just spend 3 months at FlightSafety getting my US CPL/IFR/ME and never heard a word about a radio license.

Could someone fill me in here? What am I missing?

9 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineL-188 From United States of America, joined Jul 1999, 30207 posts, RR: 57
Reply 1, posted (11 years 8 months 1 week 6 hours ago) and read 4583 times:

It is what it says.

It is the license that the FCC requires to operate radios.

VHF air band no longer requires the license if you operate in the US only, but go overseas or run HF gear and you will need it.

If you note, you should have another "radio station" license in the aircraft to cover the radios themselves.

The FCC also requires other licenses if you want to fix radio or radars, just about anything else that emits RF radiation.

Getting the license is simple enough, download the form, write a check and mail it. The bottom of the form is actually your temp certificate.

User currently offlineJhooper From United States of America, joined Dec 2001, 6206 posts, RR: 11
Reply 2, posted (11 years 8 months 1 week 4 hours ago) and read 4501 times:

It is required if you leave the country.

Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.
User currently offlineB747skipper From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 3, posted (11 years 8 months 1 week 3 hours ago) and read 4474 times:

The Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Licence requires a written and/or practical (or oral) test in many countries in the world. Radio basics theory, English language communications, communications rules, etc...
So those of you required to get one (as our friend Jhooper mentions, to operate an aircraft radio while outside the USA), consider yourself lucky that you do not have any test to obtain it. Just send an application by mail, and a check for the FCC... You may be required, while overseas, to show your pilot license AND your radio license...
While VHF radios are quite easy to use, I would recommend, should you be required to use a HF radio, to learn basic radio basic theory, propagation etc. Some radio amateur stores sell little booklets for that subject. HF radio in aircraft are equivalent to Ham "Shortwave" equipment, operating between 2,000 and 30,000 kHz. Collins Radio, in Cedar City, Iowa, can probably send you a small operator booklet for the model "618T" which is common airline HF radio equipment. Maybe even for free.
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

User currently offlineSaab2000 From Switzerland, joined Jun 2001, 1621 posts, RR: 11
Reply 4, posted (11 years 8 months 1 week 2 hours ago) and read 4459 times:

Thanks for the answers guys.

Skipper - When I did my European licenses we spent a lot of time on radio theory and waves and limitations, etc. Additionally, I took a "voice" course, learning the ICAO standard phraseology. At first I did not like it as I am a native English speaker (speak other languages too) but once I started flying commercially all over Europe I was glad that there was a standard phraseology. It eased communication problems quite a bit and ultimately it was many of the native English speakers who used non-standard phraseology and slang who caused many foul-ups of communication.

I am surprised that during all my training from Private to Commercial with instrument ratings NOBODY once ever mentioned to me that I will need a radio license from the FCC. This is truly new to me.

User currently offlineB747skipper From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 5, posted (11 years 8 months 1 week 1 hour ago) and read 4462 times:

Dear Saab2000 -
Funny is, I was a radio Ham as a hobby since I was teenager, shortwaves, but even the Air Force, and the airlines back then had quite involved courses.
Ended up with an FCC Extra Class Ham license... I hardly practice anymore, except sometimes with the HF radios on board of the aircraft.
What you learned in Europe, you probably do not get in USA nowadays... The airlines there nowadays are... tune, take the mike and talk... American pilots' phraseology is not the best when in international airspaces. Heard many ATC centers who are confused, or ask flights to repeat their transmissions. And in turn, US air carriers say that ATC controllers overseas do not understand English well...
"That's a ten-four good buddy..." (I heard that from Delta answering to Bogota ATC).
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

User currently offlineMD11Engineer From Germany, joined Oct 2003, 14711 posts, RR: 62
Reply 6, posted (11 years 8 months 6 days 21 hours ago) and read 4436 times:

I´ve got a problem: I´m working on American registered aircraft. Often enough I´ve got to test HF radios or simply call for engine startup clearance. On the other hand I´m German, based in Germany.
I tried to applly for a FCC licence, but apparently they give them only to holders of a FAA pilot´s licence, not a FAA A&P licence. On the other hand the airplanes are American territory, with FCC registered radio stations...
What licence would be valid for me?


Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi
User currently offlineDC-10Tech From United States of America, joined Jun 2001, 298 posts, RR: 2
Reply 7, posted (11 years 8 months 6 days 11 hours ago) and read 4406 times:

Hey Skipper, the 618T is actually a dinosaur in HF technology!

User currently offlineDalmd88 From United States of America, joined Jul 2000, 2801 posts, RR: 14
Reply 8, posted (11 years 8 months 5 days 20 hours ago) and read 4382 times:

In the US an FAA A&P allows you to transmit just like a FAA Pilot's ticket. I've used radios for transmission tests as well as taxi and runup. What would a German certifed mechanic do in these cases. Do they need a operators cert to talk to ground control?

User currently offlineMD11Engineer From Germany, joined Oct 2003, 14711 posts, RR: 62
Reply 9, posted (11 years 8 months 5 days 5 hours ago) and read 4350 times:

I think he would need a restricted air radiotelephone operator´s licence, which includes a long, hard oral and written exam and isn´t cheap...


I just asked because I operate radios (VHF and HF)on American registered aircraft outside the US.


Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi
Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic FCC Radio License - What Is That?
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Tech/Ops related posts only!
  • Not Tech/Ops related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Which FCC Radio License For Pilots? posted Fri Dec 9 2005 04:09:13 by Higney85
What Is That Red Window? posted Fri Nov 4 2005 18:10:22 by PipoA380
What Is That Little Black "thing"? posted Tue Jul 6 2004 17:37:04 by Qb001
What Is That Wire? posted Fri Jan 16 2004 21:59:33 by Simongkhon
What Is That On The Wing? posted Fri Nov 14 2003 00:44:54 by KYIPpilot
What Is That? Single Wing Airliner? posted Thu Mar 27 2003 20:33:55 by AlexG
What Is That Gear Bang At Liftoff? posted Wed Feb 26 2003 22:05:51 by LH526
What Is That Device? posted Wed Feb 20 2002 18:55:45 by David B.
L-1011: What Is That Noise During Windmilling? posted Tue Aug 28 2001 23:17:13 by DeltaSFO
What Is That Noise On The 727-200 posted Sun Jun 18 2000 21:29:04 by Nasmal

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format