* seating: 2 - 4 - 2
* Large IFE screens with a great amount of movies to watch! Very modern looking system. I watched The Simpsons, Family Guy and Planet of the Apes (movie)
* It's true what people say about the A340-300: It's a slow climber (didn't time it though, but you can just experience this when taking off)
* Another fact: it's also a very silent aircraft!
* Dinner: chicken with rice and curry sauce. Just an average meal. I was not hungry anymore but still had some free space
* We had (noisy) babies on board
* We left Russian airspace and entered Mongolia above the city of Ulaangom. Altitude 11125m, temperature: -67 degrees Celsius, speed 863 km/h, tailwind 107 km/h.
* Breakfast was served while flying above Chengdu, China: spinach recotta crepe (very good!), some cake, thea. This meal was (imho) rather small.
* Smooth landing in HKG at runway 7L
* Immigration officers checked passports as soon as we got off the flight. (that's new to me)
Although a tad too small, I enjoyed the meals.The IFE is excellent!. This was my first time on Finnair and I can definitely recommend it to others. I had never been to HEL before and this was only my second flight on the A340. So that makes it a bit special as well.
However, I think I still prefer Air New Zealand or British Airways over Finnair when traveling to HKG. But then there's bloody LHR again...
Flanders From Belgium, joined Oct 2008, 116 posts, RR: 0 Reply 2, posted (4 years 9 months 2 weeks 3 days 1 hour ago) and read 12788 times:
Quoting Semsem (Reply 1): LHR BA to BA is much better now that BA is in Terminal 5. Only thing I do not like is the 31" legroom and the low mileage credit on discounted tickets.
Yeah, I guess you are right! Flew BA on HKG-LHR-BRU a week ago and didn't experience any troubles then. Arriving and departing from Terminal 5 is very convenient. But I guess you still have to change terminals when you have to connect between NZ and BD?
Andaman From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR: Reply 3, posted (4 years 9 months 2 weeks 2 days 21 hours ago) and read 12118 times:
Thanks for the Trip Facts! ,)
Quoting Flanders (Thread starter): * Large IFE screens with a great amount of movies to watch! Very modern looking system
I like their new AVOD too, nice large touch screen. And it's cool to be able to send text messages.
I flew HEL-HKG on AY last October, it was a good experience. The meals were nothing special though and a couple of drunk Russians pax were annoying, but the crew handled them well.
The nice Finnish-Chinese crew kept us well hydrated.
Andaman From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR: Reply 8, posted (4 years 9 months 2 weeks 2 days 17 hours ago) and read 11440 times:
Quoting ELAL772 (Reply 7): "Tervetuloa Lennolle": What other European Language is similar to Finnish?
Looks pretty confusing Wow!
Yes Finnish may look a kinky language And for an example, the grammar doesn't separate sexes, has 15 cases and other oddities... Finnish belong to the same small family of languages with Estonian and Hungarian.
The second language on the screen is Swedish, the second official in Finland.
Flanders From Belgium, joined Oct 2008, 116 posts, RR: 0 Reply 12, posted (4 years 9 months 2 weeks 2 days 2 hours ago) and read 10341 times:
Quoting ELAL772 (Reply 7): Were you disappointed you didn't get to fly on the MD-11?
Well, HEL-BKK (which is served by the MD-11) would have cost me as much as HEL-HKG on AY and HKG-BKK on UL together. So I chose the second option. The MD-11 is still on my to-do list of course. I wonder if the interior and the IFE is as modern as in the A340?
Andaman From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR: Reply 14, posted (4 years 9 months 2 weeks 1 day 20 hours ago) and read 10016 times:
Quoting Flanders (Reply 12): The MD-11 is still on my to-do list of course. I wonder if the interior and the IFE is as modern as in the A340?
AY's MD-11s have old cabins, no personal IFE.
They are being replaced by A333, the HEL-JFK route will be the first to get A333 in coming April and HEL-BKK (2x daily in winter) the last early next year.