Sponsor Message:
Aviation Trip Reports Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
ROA-ROA  
User currently offlineORD1985 From United States of America, joined Sep 2001, 18 posts, RR: 0
Posted (12 years 8 months 3 weeks 5 days 13 hours ago) and read 975 times:

This Flight was on a CRJ leaving from Roanoke,Virgina going to Chicago. We are about 90 minuets due to a late departure when the plane left O'Hare. The plane gets there and we depart at the time they said we would. We take off. Between 70-90 minuets into the flight we make a 180 turn heading back east. I ask the flight attendant (not that he would know since I didn't see him talk to the captain on his phone) what was going on. He said it was just part of the Chicago approach. (That was impossible since we were somewhere back in eastern Indiana) We start picking up speed big time. About 10 minuets later the pilot gets on the intercom and tells us that we are going back to Roanoke (not indianapolis where there would have been a chance of catching a flight back to Chicago). We somehow make it back there in 30 minuets (I guess the jet stream and winds were on are side). They say it was because of a mechanical problem with the de-icers and the blizzard like conditions (there was no blizzard in chicago, skys were clear). They put us up in a hotel room and put us on a flight the next morning. I am still decideing wehether I will call United and ask for something or if I should just let it go.

1 replies: All unread, jump to last
 
User currently offlineKohflot From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 1, posted (12 years 8 months 3 weeks 3 days 19 hours ago) and read 898 times:

It sounds like the deicing system on the aircraft failed. That means the crew can't reliably keep ice off the wings. If that happens in flight, the obvious requirement is to stay away from icing conditions. There may not have been a 'blizzard' on the ground in Chicago, but any visible moisture (clouds, fog, rain, snow, etc.) in the Winter and Spring is considered icing conditions. The technical definition of icing conditions for that aircraft is any visible moisture below 10 degrees celsius. The crew most likely discussed the situation with their dispatcher, and they jointly made a decision to return to ROA. Yes, you may have been able to catch a flight from IND to ORD, but if there were icing conditions near ORD, they were probably near IND too. Also, if you had to wait for another flight from IND, you probably would have missed any ORD connection as well. Also, if you ended up stranded somewhere, it'd make more sense for it to be the place you came from. These factors were most likely taken into consideration when they elected to have you return to ROA.. but it sounds like the most important influence was trying to keep the aircraft out of a potentially hazardous situation.

Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic ROA-ROA
Username:
No username? Sign up now!
Password: 


Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Trip reports only! Other topics here
  • If criticizing an airline, express yourself in a dignified manner.
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
  • DETAILED RULES
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)


Similar topics:More similar topics...
ROA-ROA posted Mon Apr 8 2002 03:28:30 by ORD1985

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format