Ps762 From United Kingdom, joined Aug 2012, 102 posts, RR: 0 Posted (3 months 3 weeks 13 hours ago) and read 4979 times:
Many thanks for looking. This is probably my last trip report on Airliners.net (for a while anyway, they say never say never!). I didn't do that many but my trip reports were generally under the usename Ps76. There are about 9 maybe I don't know. Anyway times for me have moved on and I haven't really been on Airliners.net or doing much aviation related for a while. I haven't even visited an airport for maybe 6 months which is unheard of for me. Anyway I had a lot of fun enjoying aviation over the past few years. I played flightsim and spotted and stood and stared and took day trips and tried to become a pilot (which I failed masiively!). But overall and most importantyly I had a lot of fun! I saw some awesome places like the Christmas market in Brtatislava. I saw Berlin Templehof (from the outside). i sat on the beach in Florida! I had anti-terrorist police visit my house (for spotting!). Good times!
Anyway I found a while ago some photos from a day trip I took to Zurich sometime between 2004 and 2008 I think! I never wrote them up for some reason so I thought I might try and write them as a closing statement! It probably won't be as interesting as my other reprts but here goes!
1. A pic from my car driving or the bus from parking. An early morning departure from London Heathrow.
2. Getting the bus to the terminal.
3. Heathrow Terminal 1.
4. Termianl 1 landside.
5. BMI maybe?
6. Departure gates. I never really ever saw a line going through here (maybe I was lucky!)
7. Terminal 1 airside.
8. Terminal 1 airside.
9. Airliners.net! I spent a lot of time emailing my friends from terminals while on daytrips. I'm sure they got sick of "I flew to an airport, I'm hanging around for 40 minutes and flying back"! emails!
10. Departure board.
11. Heading to the gate.
12. Online boarding pass.
14. Legroom shot. I believe I was on the right hand side of the plane.
15. Airbus A319/A320/A321 wing view. A rainy morning in London.
16. BMI plane next door. I did try BMI a few times mainly to Manchester from terminal 1 also as their fares were really good for a while. I enjoyed them and liked the carpet colour in their aircraft! Not so much the buy on board service though!
17. Window shot!
18. Finnair plane (propbably heading to Helsinki?)
19. Aer Lingus on the taxi!
20. Air Canada also while taxiing.
21. Air Mauritius or Mauritius airlines (sorry)?
22. Still Taxiing.
23. BA (not at terminal 5!)
24. Or maybe it was at terminal 5!
25. A319? I guess we were heading to runway 9R for takeoff?
26. Takeoff roll?
27. In the air!
28. Stright into cloud! The metar would have been maybe 004OVC or something?
29. Into clouds with flaps still at position 2(?). Heading East I think so basicall heading straight out or turning right a bit to head to Dover on the SID?
Ps762 From United Kingdom, joined Aug 2012, 102 posts, RR: 0 Reply 2, posted (3 months 3 weeks 12 hours ago) and read 4817 times:
1. The train to Baden (a commuter train as opposed to the usual intercity-like one on this day)
2. Train view. It is about 20-30 minutes to Baden I think with like 4 stops (1 in a business district and a few others)
3. Baden bahnhof!
4. Baden is a small spa town about 30 minutes train from Zurich. This is the town square.
5. Looking out towards EnnetBaden in the autumn!
6. The thermal baths! I think I actually packed my trunks in my backpack and had a swim! They have an indoor and outdoor pool with jets and stuff and when you finish they give you a warm towel! Nice!
7. Baden Parkstrasse just next to the Synagogue and casino and park.
8. A Street!
9. Heading into Zurich!
10. A street in the old town I think. (Sorry you have to tilt your head!)
I probably had rosti to eat for dinner!
11. Night is falling on Bahnhofstrasse.
12. Back in the terminal airside. I think I bought some chocolates from the duty free or maybe I bought them from Sprungli in town (a Swiss chocolate shop in Zurich).
13. Boarding the plane back at night via the airstairs (I also came back with Swiss Airlines to Heathrow).
14. The last shot before I ran out of film (well digital memory!). Taxiing back to head home!
Sorry that's it. Apologies if I skipped a few pics and the lack of details and stuff especially about the aviation side! I remember it as a great day out and I was lucky to have many such days (mainly flying Ryainair)! I will be lucky to get back into it but that is it for me for the moment I think.
I would like to thank everyone who read my trip reports no matter how crazy like flying to Italy to have dinner! It was a lot of fun flying around for that part of my life!
You are welcome to comment but it is not necessary. I just hope the pics are ok and stuff!
Ps762 From United Kingdom, joined Aug 2012, 102 posts, RR: 0 Reply 4, posted (3 months 2 weeks 5 days 16 hours ago) and read 3540 times:
Many thanks for the kind words and glad the last few pics were ok. I'll try to have a look at your reports and others and maybe I can enjoy reading for a wehile!
I haven't been to Heathrow ot Terminal 1 in a while but last time I was there there were the Lufthansa group there and Asiana I think and United and South African and El Al etc. I always thought airside it was really quite nice and landside wasn't too bad either. I guess by now that Heathrow East/new teriminal 2 thing I used to see being wuilt is maybe finished. I will check out the website or try to head down there.
Anyway thanks again for the reply. I hoep you continue to enjoy the flying and travelling and report writing etc. It was a lot of fun over the last few years!!
Ps762 From United Kingdom, joined Aug 2012, 102 posts, RR: 0 Reply 6, posted (3 months 2 weeks 5 days 13 hours ago) and read 3295 times:
Many thanks for looking. Yes now it brings back memories it was runway 14 I think. The right hand runway facgin towards the Alps in the distance!
I enjoyed Swiss airlines a lot during those times. There was some times they had great fares too. One time I wokre up early at 5am one day with nothing to do, looked up the Swiss website, found a day return from London City that day for only £80 return all in to Geneva I think and flew to Geneva for the day (or maybe Zurich). Plus it was my first time on an Avrojet I think.
Ps762 From United Kingdom, joined Aug 2012, 102 posts, RR: 0 Reply 8, posted (3 months 2 weeks 5 days 9 hours ago) and read 2991 times:
Many thanks. I will check it out. I didn't even know LOT have a Dreamliner I've been out of it so long. I should have a look at the Heathrow website to see what they say about it too. Sounds like a cool report.
Scary music... How sad that today's world (and yesterday's if the truth be known) should be marred by such unpleasantness.
Pierre, I won't comment on the flight itself as you say it was between 4 and 8 years ago and I have no recent experience with LX to compare, but I hope that it won't be too long before you decide to return with another post.
Wishing you all the very best.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza
Ps762 From United Kingdom, joined Aug 2012, 102 posts, RR: 0 Reply 12, posted (3 months 2 weeks 4 days 10 hours ago) and read 2191 times:
Many thanks for the reply and kind words. I agree the most important thing for me was the fun I had. Whether flying around or walking around my local airport or playing flightsim etc. I was extremely lucky to have airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet as well as mainline carriers around with lower fares so I could fly around a lot. But I still like to play flightsim so who knows the cycle may start again one day!
Regarding the police thing they were actually quite nice when they did come round, once they saw the photos and heard me going on about the intricacies of an A321/A320 etc. and realised that I was plane crazy and not much more. What was funny though was they went to another road nearby with the same name but no space in it and terrified a woman living there when a van pulled up and guys with machine guns came to her door! That was not cool really.
Regarding LX it would be interesting to see how their service and fares are now. There is a really nice Starbucks in Zurich airport too which I wouldn't mind heading to again one day! Who knows!