Sponsor Message:
Aviation Trip Reports Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
User currently offlineCMK10 From United States of America, joined Feb 2004, 513 posts, RR: 3
Posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 5 days 16 hours ago) and read 5780 times:

Once again this is Josh's trip posted by me because he lacks an account here and the will to pay a lot for an occasional report. His ideas are his and his alone blah blah blah.
Background / Pre-trip:
Seven years ago I moved from southern Connecticut to California. While at a camp in CT/NY I met Charles (the man posting this TR that I’m writing). Charles and I have the same aviation interests and became good friends. When I moved to CA we lost touch for a while, but in October 2002 he came out to visit me for a weekend. Now it was my turn to go out and see him. July 4 weekend seemed like a great time to go. I found an average fare on UA and grabbed it because it was on some great aircraft.

Date: Thursday July 3, 2003
Flight: UA 132 SFOORD
Aircraft: 747-422

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Glenn Stewart

Seat: 34G
Departure: 6:30 AM
Arrival: 12:28 PM (2 minutes early)
Registration: N119UA Nose: 8119 Delivered: 03/26/1999
Pax Load: Full or very close to it
Flight Time: 3 hr 20 min Flight Level: 37,000 ft

I woke up at 3:30 AM after not getting a lot of sleep because of a great evening I had had before with some girlfriends of mine. My dad got up also and we had a small breakfast before he drove me to the airport. We live in the South Bay so it takes about 40 minutes to get to SFO. With no cars on the road the drive was easy and we made it to the parking garage on schedule. There were only a few agents working the check-in line, which was very long, so I used a United EasyCheck-In machine. I was sitting in row 49 on the 747 and was able to move up to row 34, which is the last row of the mini economy section behind business class. I left my dad at the security checkpoint and went through security and the mandatory shoe removal. To get to the gate I had to take the long walk out to the rotunda and bear left to gate 84. The 747 was a magnificent sight to see when I sat down at the gate area. I went up to the counter to try to get an economy plus seat. I am not a Premier but it doesn’t hurt to ask. The agent was very rude to me and as a result I kept my original economy seat. Boarding started at 5:50 with boarding group 1. This was my first time on a United flight with boarding groups. I was in the last group, group 4, so I had to wait a while before getting a chance to board my 3rd 747 (my 1st UA 747). Finally I boarded through door 1L and worked my way back to seat 34G, the aisle seat in the group of middle seats. As I was making my way through business class I noticed that there were a lot of children in that cabin…those lucky squirts. Even though it was the last row in the small three-row section, there was still a full recline. On each seat was a blanket, pillow, and a newly packaged pair of headphones. Pull back came on time and we taxied out to runway 1R. It was exhilarating to hear the 4 engines warm up and then feel the plane roll down the runway and takeoff. According to the Airmap, which was showing right after takeoff and before landing, showed us traveling at a ground speed of a whopping 640 mph. Gary Sheridan was piloting the flight, and I failed to catch the name of the first officer. The movie presentation entitled Bringing Down the House was the started. The film was very funny and a good choice for an airplane movie. Breakfast service also began. Breakfast consisted of cereal with a banana and bowtie like buttermilk doughnut strips, or the other option was the breakfast burrito. Without a hesitation I went for the cold option with a cup of orange juice. When I opened up the silverware bag, I found that my plastic spoon had a large crack through it. When I brought this to the attention of the flight attendant, she went into Business class and brought me a metal spoon (how nice of her). It seemed that there were only 4 FA’s working the economy cabin, and they disappeared for long periods of time. Breakfast was cleared and after the movie ended, NBC In flight began. There were only a few segments on before we began the descent into ORD. The plane landed early due to a slight tailwind, but our gate was not ready. We taxied around the C Concourse before stopping on an exterior taxiway for about 10 minutes. We then taxied around the terminal again before parking at gate B16. Both jetways (16A & 16B) were attached to the plane. Before getting off I asked to go upstairs to see the cockpit and the flight attendant gave me permission. The pilots were not available upstairs because they had a tight connection to make, but the flight attendants upstairs let me peer into the cockpit anyway. The upper deck is larger than I imagined and seemed like a great place to sit on a flight. Finally I had to say goodbye to the magnificent plane, but it wouldn’t be a long goodbye because my next flight was departing from gate B14, right next door. On a side note I found out that this plane goes back to SFO and then heads out to SYD. The picture of the plane above was taken July 5, which means that it was taken 2 legs after I flew on it.

Date: Thursday July 3, 2003
Flight: UA 650 ORDEWR
Aircraft: A-320
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Martin West

Seat: 6F
Pull back: 2:00 PM
Takeoff: 2:25 PM
Arrival Time: 5:25 PM (10 minutes late)
Registration: N430UA Nose: 4630 Delivered: 02/01/1996
Pax Load: 12/12F 88/126Y
Flight Time: 1hr 46min Flight Level: 25,000 ft

After getting off the plane in ORD I needed to stretch my legs and find some food so I took a short walk down to the end of the B Concourse (gate B22). There was no food that direction, but I had never seen this part of the terminal. When I got back to B14 the plane was pulling in from CA / KDCA), USA - Virginia">DCA. There was a Starbucks right there so I got myself a bagel and Tazoberry. The area around the gate was not very full, so I went up to the counter to ask about an economy plus seat. This agent was very pleasant and happily checked for me even though I was not a Premier. She had the bulkhead open and gave me seat 6F. I originally had 14D, and I didn’t mind the bulkhead. The flight boarded on time and was only about 2/3 full. When I got to my seat I was pleasantly surprised to find that the bulkhead had the same foot space as the seats in first class. I had 3 windows to myself and there was also empty middle seat. Everything was running on time until we started taxiing to the runway. The pilot announced a ground stop on flights heading to the northeast due to bad weather in the flight routing. The ground hold was set at 20 minutes, during which a new route would be drawn for us. So we sat for 20 minutes in the 95-degree heat on the taxiway. Finally 25 minutes after our scheduled departure, we were permitted to takeoff. The pilot informed us that we would be flying at 25,000 feet to avoid choppy air instead of flying at the normal 37,000 feet. The flight was beverage service only and the flight attendants served me a bag of Fisher Cheddar Snack Mix with cranberry juice. According to UA there was supposed to be a short feature shown on the plane, but this did not occur. As we got closer to EWR our pilot become more of a traffic reporter. He was giving us updates on the NJ Turnpike, roads into Atlantic City, and into NYC. Then we proceeded to fly at a low altitude for a long period of time before landing. We touched down on runway 4R after making up some time in the air, and took a short taxi to gate A14. I walked toward the terminal from the rotunda and met Charles at the security checkpoint.

I had a great time in NY with Charles. I got to see my old hometown in CT and check out some of the sights around NY and NJ. We also took the train and the subway out to see JFK. It was the first time either of us had visited each of the 9 terminals. I got to catch my first live glimpse of the Concorde as well. Charles also took me to HPN to show me the new terminal. They did a very nice job with the airport. But alas after the fireworks, movies, and other excursions, it was time to head back home.

Date: Monday July 7, 2003
Flight: UA 7188 (operated by Atlantic Coast) EWRIAD
Aircraft: CRJ-200ER
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Søren Geertsen

Seat: 2C
Scheduled Departure: 2:45 PM
Actual Departure: 6:15 PM
Arrival: 7:15 PM (3 hours 11 minutes late)
Registration: N623BR Nose: N/A Delivered: 096/18/1997 in United Express colors
Pax Load: 50/50Y
Flight Time: 36 min Flight Level: 20,000 ft

Charles and I left at 11 AM from NY for the drive to EWR. There was very little traffic and we made it to the airport in about an hour. To get more bonus miles I checked in at the EasyCheck-In machine again. The machine claimed that due to weight restrictions on my IAD-SFO leg, a Boeing 777, my original seat assignment could not be assigned. However when my boarding passes wee printing, I ended up with my original seat, 25B. Charles and I did some spotting from the balconies on either side of the Terminal A and then I said goodbye and headed through security. United Express departs from gate A10 and I found a seat and waited for the CRJ to arrive from IAD. Meanwhile a flight to ORD ate gate A12 was very overbooked and they were working on accommodating everyone. My plane arrived on time and boarding began a little bit early. Our boarding passes had the boarding groups on them, but it seemed like a waste to have 4 groups. I was in group 4, with my seat being 2C on a 13 row plane. The two UA agents working the flight had never worked a United Express flight so they did not know how to tag carry on bags that are too large for the bins. We were already to pull back early from the gate when the first glitch on my exciting trip home occurred. The baggage handler for our flight got on and told the pilot that 2 bags were missing identification. Because the destination tags were missing, the ground crew had to remove the bags and determine the passenger and final destination for each bag. That way they could be properly tagged. The time was 2:20 PM so none of the passengers were worried because the departure time was not until 2:45. However when 3 o’clock rolled around, no progress had been made. The pilot reassured us that with a 36-minute flight time we would still arrive 20 minutes early. Finally after sitting in the hot sun at the gate, the bags were cleared. We pulled back only to have our trip delayed again. One minute after pulling back, the pilot announced that a ground stop had been put into effect for all flight to and from IAD. We taxied out in front of Terminal A and parked. I was ticked off at this point because if the flight had left on-time, we would have missed the ground stop and made it to IAD (which would have helped me down the road as you will see). Other planes began to park along side us as we sat in the hot plane. The ground stop was only supposed to last 20 minutes but it was soon extended until 4:20. Our plane was not catered due to the short flight, but the flight attendant found enough bottles of water to serve the passengers. He also found some left over sodas and went through the cabin a second time. The pilot, even though we were away from the gate, let passengers use their cell phones. I called my mom to tell her the news and to help me find alternative ways home. The pilot was almost allowed to pull back to the gate twice, but he did not want to lose his spot in the event the ground stop was lifted. Working through my knowledge of flights to SFO I had my mom call the airline while I saved my batteries. Meanwhile I was helping the passengers around me with their connecting flights. There was a couple across the aisle going on vacation to CDG and my seat mate who was trying to go home to South Carolina after being in London. The passengers thought I had been on the phone with the EWR Air Traffic Control, but I said no, it was only my mom. I checked the fight status of my companions connecting flights and showed them the easiest way to get there if we ever made it to IAD. I also kept the plane updated with information I learned from my mother on the weather and from what I could see was happening outside at EWR. It started to drizzle at EWR, but we were given the chance to takeoff. We taxied out to runway 29 (I believe) and were number 3 for takeoff. We did not get the chance however. The ground stop was reinstated as we waited in line to takeoff. Instead of taxiing back to the spot we had spent the last 2 hours, we just powered down near the runway. By this time we had a sort of tag-team crossword puzzle party going on between passengers in my row. It helped to pass the time and the bad feelings concerning all the connecting flights that we were almost guaranteed to miss. After sitting on the plane for 4 full hours in the sun and rain, the ground stop was lifted. On our third attempt at departing we were successful. The pilot requested that everyone stay seated for the flight, including the flight attendant, due to projected turbulence. The flight was very smooth though. We were placed in a holding pattern for one full seat of left turns before being allowed to land on runway 1L. We taxied over to the T-gates to park, but the pilot missed the gate the first time and had to back out and re-circle the taxiway to try again. The flight attendant read us connecting gate information, but it was useless because he had gotten it 5 hours before. While we were taxiing I noticed that there were very few UA planes at IAD and that made me nervous. We pulled into T-14, the last gate in the T concourse, and had to wait a few minutes for our carry-ons to be removed from the plane. I ran into the terminal to find it basically deserted. I wished all of my fellow connecting passengers good luck, and then found a flight information monitor. I checked for flights to SFO and my heart sunk when I found the next flight leaving at 7 AM the next morning. My body kind of went into automatic mode as I ran down the concourse in search of a United agent or the mobile lounge the D-gates where my flight was supposed to leave. I got on the mobile lounge and on the trip I saw that my gate was vacant. My adrenaline was rushing at this point and I think I mumbled some nasty words to myself before getting off at Concourse D. I ran to gate D7 to find the waiting area empty and no United agent at the gate. I went up and down the concourse looking for some help before finding an agent working a flight to DFW. I asked her to confirm for me which SFO flights had left and when, and where I could go for some rebooking help. She told me I missed UA951 (my original flight) by 20 minutes and that the 9:30 flight was going to leave on time. I asked her about the 6:30 flight (UA 203) and she said, oh yeah that flight has been delayed until 8:30 and was leaving from gate C1 (It was approaching 7:45 at this time). So I picked up my heavy duffel bag, and I ran all the way through the D and C concourses feeling like a train was chasing me. During my run I passed a lone customer service desk open with 2 agents working a line that stretched across the terminal and then down into oblivion. This was the only service desk I found open after passing 3 closed ones. I finally made it to the crowded boarding area around C1. A LH flight was boarding out of C2 so the waiting area was cramped. I got on the line and was behind two people who I met on the CRJ from before. They told me that the 9:30 flight was already overbooked and that this was the only option. We asked the sole agent if we were wasting our time on the line and thankfully she said that there would be seats open for everyone. A kid had to cut in the line before I made it to the counter. Both he and the agent claimed that they didn’t see anyone in the line…a likely story. I ended up with seat 29F, which meant I could keep the aisle that I originally had on the 777.

Meanwhile a whole team of experts was working behind the scenes to help me get home (even though their work went to waste). This team consisted of my mom, my dad, me, and my friend Charles. My dad works with a consultant who is a Million Mile member of United. The consultant called the special phone number to try to get me advanced on any standby list. He managed to get me confirmed on a flight the next morning to LAX with a connection to SFO. Other than that he could do little for me. My mom was trying to get me anywhere, but the United agent on the phone could not even confirm if flights had left or were still at the gate. Charles got sneaky and got the Premier Executive phone number from his friend. He claimed that he was my brother and that he was trying to help me get home. He had them make a note in my PNR that I was to be treated as top priority. He talked with a supervisor who got me on a backup flight at noon on Tuesday from EWR-SFO (if I never made it our of EWR). He was also told that UA could do nothing for me at IAD, but they put a note in to get me a hotel. Charles also had his dad on call to pick me up from EWR if I got stuck there. Charles left messages on my cell phone telling me under no circumstances should I go to IAD and that I should get off the plane in EWR. I never checked that message until I got home, but it worked up since I couldn’t get off in EWR anyway. So basically I was booked on 4 flights going home different ways at different times on different days.

Date: Monday July 7, 2003
Flight: UA 203 IADSFO
Aircraft: 767-322ER
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Graham Hitchen

Seat: 29F
Scheduled Departure: 6:30 PM
Actual Departure: 8:30 PM
Arrival: 11:07 PM (2 hours 4 minutes late)
Registration: N649UA Nose: 6349 Delivered: 07/27/1992
Pax Load: about 2/3 full
Flight Time: 5hr 4min Flight Level: 35,000 ft & 37,000 ft

For the first time I was glad a flight was late. Otherwise I would have been sleeping somewhere in the greater Virginia area. I boarded the internationally configured 763 and found that the flight was only 2/3 full. I found my seat near the back and was glad to be on a plane that was actually going somewhere. I talked with the lady sitting in 29G about my ordeal and then we made some small talk. I heard that my plane had come from Europe and was forced to stop in Harrisburg, PA during the ground stop. That led to the delay, which ended up saving me. We pulled back at 8:30 but sat on the taxiway until 8:45 because of routing issues. There were too many planes in some of the sectors so we had to wait for airspace to clear. Finally we took off. On the right side of the plane you could see huge thunderstorm clouds that stretched upward as far as you could see. Inside these clouds were magnificent lightning shows that consistently lit up the sky. This was some strong storm, even though it never actually made it to IAD. All they got was some light rain. The flight was surprisingly smooth considering there were a lot of storms nearby. The personal in flight entertainment systems started and I was planning to watch Bend it Like Beckham, but that was the one channel out of nine that was not functioning. Instead I watched Chicago, which I really enjoyed. The flight attendants soon came around with the dinner cart. The main dish choices were beef, chicken salad, or the vegetarian pasta. By the time they made it to my row the choice was beef or beef. Accompanying the main dish was a salad with light ranch dressing and bread sticks. The beef was in mashed potatoes, peas, carrots and corn. Milano cookies were included for dessert. The meal was very tasty, especially since I hadn’t eaten any thing substantial since leaving Charles at noon in EWR. For some reason not all of the meal/drink carts were loaded on the flight so the flight attendants had to serve all the meals before going back and serving drinks (full cans were served). During the meal service the flight attendant asked me to put my seat up because the man behind me was having trouble eating his meal. I said ok and was allowed to recline again after the meal. After the movie I put the airmap on, adjusted my headrest, and went into a relaxed state. I think the flight crew felt bad for all the delays because they came through the cabin with half filled cups of read and white wine. They were offering these cups for free. On the airmap I noticed that we were zigzagging around the country. We started off flying basically south before heading west. Then we were heading northwest and back southwest. We finally got back on a normal route into the Bay Area. There was a good size headwind that added some time to the flight. The winds over the Bay were very strong and we encountered the most turbulence during the last 2 minutes of the flight. When we finally landed at SFO, the purser was trying to kiss up to the passengers with all his “welcome to…,” “thank yous,” and apologies. While they were thoughtful, it was not enough to make me content. We taxied to gate 89, all the way at the end of concourse F. Walking through the terminal I noticed many of the redeyes were delayed until midnight and that the 9:30 flight from IAD was running 30 minutes late. My parents were waiting at security and I finally got home to my house at 12:30 Tuesday morning. So instead of arriving at SFO just before 8 o’clock, I got in over 3 hours late.

I am in the process of writing a letter to United concerning their poor service and unhelpfulness on my trip home. Considering the delay was originally their fault, I feel that they did not do an adequate job in trying to help the stranded passengers.

DC-10's Foreve

"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton
13 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineKevin752 From United States of America, joined Jul 2003, 747 posts, RR: 4
Reply 1, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 5 days 13 hours ago) and read 5667 times:

I have experienced a trip close to this in 2000. I was to fly from lax-DUS via ORD. However, that changed very quickly. Me and my family checked in at United and the agent said all the flights to ord were delayed due to whether problems also we had an illegal connection time in ord. So the check in agent re routed us on another flight to ord and going on to Dus. So we went home for an hour or so and then went back to find out that UA952 has been delayed to Chicago. So we waited 3 hrs before boarding to ord. We arrive in ord and find that our flight has left without us. So we once again were rerouted. We ended up going through FRA and gong on LH to Zagreb Croatia. And wait 3 hrs to fly to Split on Croatia airlines (OU). After 2 days we make it to Croatia which usually only takes one day flying and waiting for connections.

"Keep Climbing"
User currently offlineDouglasdc8 From Australia, joined Dec 2007, 0 posts, RR: 0
Reply 2, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 4 days 23 hours ago) and read 5561 times:

I need to pose the question: If your flight had departed Newark on-time, how do you know you would have made it to Dulles? If thunderstorms shut down Dulles arrivals after you took off, you may have been diverted to another airport, like the 767 that you flew on had to. Or you may have been turned back to Newark. Both of these have happened to me flying out of the Northeast in the summer. All in all 3 hours late is not much of a delay in my book, when you travel as much as I, you will experience worse.

User currently offlineSTT757 From United States of America, joined Mar 2000, 17594 posts, RR: 50
Reply 3, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 4 days 22 hours ago) and read 5568 times:


Why did you not fly EWR-SFO on one of UAL's nonstop flights, they have 7 of them.

Did you want to go through IAD and ORD, or were the EWR-SFO flights booked?

Just curious.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
User currently offlineCMK10 From United States of America, joined Feb 2004, 513 posts, RR: 3
Reply 4, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 4 days 18 hours ago) and read 5504 times:

Answers a'la Josh:
I need to pose a question, had we departed on time we would have stood a better chance of having an on time arrival; also, can you think of a worse fate then sitting on the ground in New Jersey? Cause I can't.
They're are actully 3 nonstops, not 7, they were more expensive and why take a 757 when you can take both a 747 and a 777?

DC-10's Forever

"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton
User currently offlineDouglasdc8 From Australia, joined Dec 2007, 0 posts, RR: 0
Reply 5, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 4 days 18 hours ago) and read 5496 times:


Thank your friend for his sarcastic answer to my simple question (which by the way, he didn't answer).

User currently offlineSTT757 From United States of America, joined Mar 2000, 17594 posts, RR: 50
Reply 6, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 4 days 17 hours ago) and read 5497 times:

"and why take a 757 when you can take both a 747 and a 777?"

"I am in the process of writing a letter to United concerning their poor service and unhelpfulness on my trip home."

If I was working for UAL and received such a letter I would have pointed out that because the passenger choose "purposely" an indirect route when a nonstop flight was available they would have got there quicker and would not have missed any connections.

I just checked and they do indeed only have 3 EWR-SFO flights, for years up untill recently they always had 7.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
User currently offlineI LOVE EWR From United States of America, joined Jan 2002, 852 posts, RR: 7
Reply 7, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 4 days 16 hours ago) and read 5479 times:

I am in the process of writing a letter to United concerning their poor service and unhelpfulness on my trip home. Considering the delay was originally their fault, I feel that they did not do an adequate job in trying to help the stranded passengers.

Uhh are you kidding me??? You got in 3 hours and 4 minutes late when there were MASSIVE weather delays around the Northeast during the summer storm season and you are going to write a letter for this? And for that matter you WERE NOT stranded you were delayed. Like another poster said what would have happened if you took off from EWR and they closed IAD down don't you think you would have diverted to another airport?

Like another poster said you would not have been stuck if you flew a nonstop flight, you wanted to go out of the way to fly a 747 or 777 (which I would also do myself). But I would not complain when I got stuck when I choose the flights over better options. When I am going away on a nice long vacation in January I am connecting through DFW not ORD why? Because of weather considerations. You should have take that as well into account when you also make your travel plans if you think you might be delayed or DON'T want to be delayed.

I don't think UAL was at all unhelpful. They got you in to your final destination three hours late on a bad travel day. Be thankful you arrived safely and keep things in perspective.

User currently offlineCMK10 From United States of America, joined Feb 2004, 513 posts, RR: 3
Reply 8, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 3 days 20 hours ago) and read 5399 times:

Once again from Josh:
Douglasdc8 -
First off the response posted to your question by CMK10 was actually his response and not mine. Now the real answer. You are probably right. There was no way for me to guarantee that my flight would have arrived on time if it departed on time. What I do know is that flights that had similar landing times at IAD did land. It was only flights that were in the heart of the ground stop, like the plane that would take me to SFO, that had arriving issues. In my opinion I would have had a much better shot of making my original flight to SFO if the plane did not experience baggage delays.

STT757 -
Ok, the answer to your original question wasn't that great, but here are the specifics. The direct flights between SFO and EWR were running at about $420 a person. Meanwhile my flights through ORD/IAD were only $286. The comment about fliying the 747 and 777 was only inserted becuase of all the cheaper fares through ORD and IAD listed, I chose those the times that had the 747 and 777, not the 757 or Airbus. In additon the direct flight that I could have taken was already booked. The later flights would not have been possible becuase Charles has driving restrictions on his license that dictate how late he can drive.

Addressed to everyone -
Now about the letter I'm writing...
The letter is not meant as a complaint for the delay. The letter is to express my disgust in the treatment I recieved by United during the trip home. I know that United cannot control the weather and I respect the fact that delays happen. In fact I was trying to fly United home from PVD in February when that snowstorm delayed us 3 days. The United agents at PVD did a great job in accomadating passangers and keeping them updated onthe situations. They were also well staffed and aviailable when needed. It made the delay a lot less painful. I did not enounter this same respect flying home on this trip. The letter is only intended as a comment on their cusomter service both on the ground at EWR and in the terminal at IAD, and their ability to inform their passengers.
Maybe if the direct fares were not as much of a rip off as the connecting fare, I would have decided to fly direct. I was also aware that the two connecting cities were weather prone. Maybe CMK10 can clarify any other issues, becuase he understood the situation and stands behind me in this letter

DC-10's Forever

"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton
User currently offlineCatholic2006 From United States of America, joined Jul 2003, 357 posts, RR: 2
Reply 9, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 3 days 18 hours ago) and read 5389 times:

Sounded like a great trip going and a disaster coming.
Personally, taking the non-stop from Newark to San Francisco on a United Airlines Boeing 757 would freak me out. Why? Because the departing airport is where United Airlines Flight 93 took off and the arriving airport is the exact airport that United Airlines Boeing 757 Flight 93 was supposed to land at. And being on the exact type of plane and the exact airline departing from the exact same airport as a aircraft used in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks would just blow me. I've had some type of 9/11 night mare right before I fly. You could only imagine my nervousness when I flew United for the first time ALONE which was earlier this year when i was 14 (now I'm 15).

I think you should write that letter and explain your trip and your feelings. You can't blame someone for wanting to take two AWESOME aircrafts (tho I've only dreamed of flying on a Boeing 747-400 not actually have been on one). The airline needs to know about your service (though I've found United Airlines the most friendly airline). You should write to COMPLAIN if you ask me.

I'm glad to hear that you had an excellent holiday weekend (until), and I wish you safe flights and travels in the future.


Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !
User currently offlineSTT757 From United States of America, joined Mar 2000, 17594 posts, RR: 50
Reply 10, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 3 days 14 hours ago) and read 5375 times:

Well if it freaks you out why not stay away from NY, away from EWR and away from planes all together.

I've flown out of EWR since 9-11, I've been in NYC (to the WTC) probably 100 times since 9-11. I was there a few days after the attacks. My Mom works in Manhattan, millions of people work and live in Manhattan.

They are not scared, in fact there's a housing boom in Manhattan. It's been steady since 9-11, more people are moving to NYC then ever before. It's a great place, EWR a great airport, and flying on a airplane is a great experience.

The people of flight 93 showed bravery and courage in facing their attackers, to do them honor we should live as they with courage and bravery.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
User currently offlineCatholic2006 From United States of America, joined Jul 2003, 357 posts, RR: 2
Reply 11, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 3 days 3 hours ago) and read 5362 times:

This goes to STT757
Your point?.......................................

So, it scares me.

It's not unusual for young children to have certain fears after really horrible incidents like that. It does not feel good to have someone use planes as bombs against the people of your country, so I have every right to be scared. Also, since flight 93 crashed only about 70 miles south of me I may feel a little insecure. It is not my fault. Over 4,000 Americans died that day just minding their own business. I'm not going to look at that like that was just another even in a usual day. No I happen to spend a lot of time praying for those who died and who are in purgatory and for their families.

Why would I stop flying?
When I have to go somewhere I have to go. I just can't because I don't feel like it. I can choose what airline and what airports I fly out of.

But anyways: a 15 year old contemplating on that day sitting on an airplanes is not always going to be able to just blow it out of my mind I have to ask for some sort of consolation. You need to just understand and step up to the plate and realize that people have fears because if 9/11 affected you, you would be feeling sympathetic too. God bless!


Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !
User currently offlineSTT757 From United States of America, joined Mar 2000, 17594 posts, RR: 50
Reply 12, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 3 days 1 hour ago) and read 5349 times:

"It's not unusual for young children to have certain fears after really horrible incidents like that. It does not feel good to have someone use planes as bombs against the people of your country, so I have every right to be scared. Also, since flight 93 crashed only about 70 miles south of me I may feel a little insecure"

Literally thousands of Children saw first hand the 9-11 attacks, from classroom windows in NYC and New Jersey.

They still go to school everyday, they still look at the same skyline. They are not afraid, why should you be if you only saw it on tv?

I live 30 miles from the World Trade Center, where the majority of lives were lost. The night of September 11th I had my windows open and smelled smoke, I remember going outside to investigate when I realized the whole area smelled of smoke. The smoke was coming from the fires burning at the World Trade Center, a few days later I went into Manhattan to see the devastation. Walking out of the A train Chambers street station I was struck immediately by the smell, something that I will never forget.

People from my town were killed at the World Trade Center, a man from my development was killed on flight 93.

Im not scared, the young kids around here who have friends who lost parents in the attacks are not scared.

Why should you be scared? I think you have to realize that your fear is irrational, driving is more dangerous than flying by far.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
User currently offlineJeffrey1970 From United States of America, joined Apr 2001, 1416 posts, RR: 11
Reply 13, posted (12 years 10 months 3 weeks 2 days 15 hours ago) and read 5316 times:

Dear STT757,

While I agree with you that fear is irrational, we all still feel it at times. You are right, many kids in the New York area who saw 9/11 happen still go to school. However I am sure many of them still have fears about what happened.

Dear Catholic2006,

Just from reading your reports you sound like someone who is dealing with a lot of fears (from 9/11 to wings bouncing up and down, etc...). You also sound like someone who very much believes in Jesus Christ. Remember Jesus is with you everywhere, and He is your personal Savior. Plus, to help you understand why planes do the things they do, you might want to read up about them. That might help you understand why the wings bounce, and about turbulence and things like that.

May God bless you and everyone through Jesus Christ with lots of love,


God bless through Jesus, Jeff
Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic SFO-ORD-EWR-IAD-SFO On UA
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Trip reports only! Other topics here
  • If criticizing an airline, express yourself in a dignified manner.
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
SFO-SAN On UA (with Pics) posted Tue Jan 10 2006 05:31:53 by Freedomtofly
NRT-IAH Via SFO In Y On UA posted Mon Jan 9 2006 03:28:10 by JumboForever
DEN-Hawaii-SFO-DEN On UA/AQ In Y,Biz,First W/pics posted Fri Apr 2 2004 06:38:35 by F9Widebody
PDX-SFO-HNL On UA posted Fri Jul 18 2003 09:10:16 by Ex_SQer
SIN-NRT-SFO-BOS On UA posted Mon Sep 2 2002 19:09:01 by Garuda
IAD-PHL On UA ; NYC-LAX Via CHI-SNT On Amtrak posted Mon Jun 26 2006 02:14:26 by Glid4500
MSP-IAD-EZE On UA posted Thu Mar 2 2006 05:56:30 by USFlyer MSP
DEN-IAD-SCE-IAD-DEN On UA/Shuttle Ame posted Fri Jun 18 2004 03:49:48 by Brick
Day Trip DEN-ORD-FLL-IAD-DEN On United Airlines/Te posted Fri Jun 18 2004 03:47:13 by Brick
DEN-ORD-RIC / IAD-DEN On United posted Sun May 23 2004 23:50:36 by Brick

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format