Sponsor Message:
Aviation Trip Reports Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
My Trip Through LGA 8/15  
User currently offlineL1011Fan From United States of America, joined May 2003, 271 posts, RR: 0
Posted (12 years 9 months 2 weeks 2 days 3 hours ago) and read 2239 times:

I was in NYC 8/13 - 8/15 and stayed in Manhattan. I was scheduled to leave at 8pm 8/15 from LaGuardia to go back home to BOS. I was not aware of the true scope of the power outage because the hotel I stayed at didn't have updates (i.e. no TV, internet, or radio). I checked out of my hotel at 3pm 8/15 and headed to the concierge to ask him if LGA was open to which he replied yes. Even though my flight wasn't until 8pm, I left Manhattan at 3:30pm in an effort to beat the traffic. My hotel had their power restored when I checked out.

I arrived at LGA at 4:20pm to find a HUGE line of people waiting at the USAir Shuttle counter so right away I knew something was up. I asked a person standing in line and he explained that LGA didn't have power and that over 2000 flights had been cancelled. He said that only three flights were scheduled to leave and none were going to BOS. 'Oh great' I thought to myself.

Since the terminal had no power the gates agents announced over a bullhorn that we had to call a 1-800 number in order to rebook our flights. I called and was rescheduled for an 8am flight to BOS on 8/16. The trouble with this is that I had no place to go. In speaking with other people in line I found out that no cars were available for renting, the bus to BOS was overbooked, there were no hotels available at all anywhere in NYC, and that the train to BOS from Grand Central Station wasn't running. I was stranded.

I decided that I had nothing better to do so I thought I'd wait it out in line to see if anything changed. Boy am I glad I did! About 20 minutes later a USAir gate agent announced over the bull horn that anyone going to BOS was requested to stand in a different line. So I moved into the BOS line.

About 10 minutes later a USAir gate agent asked those of us in line to fill out a luggage tag and they took our luggage. A few minutes after that we received a boarding pass and I was on my way. The best part of all was that I left LGA at 5:20pm--two hours forty minutes earlier than my scheduled flight at 8pm.

I was extremely lucky and I'd like to thank to the USAir gate agents who did and awesome job in light of the stressful conditions. This is another reason USAir is my favorite airline!

4 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineJaseWGTN From New Zealand, joined Mar 2000, 828 posts, RR: 0
Reply 1, posted (12 years 9 months 2 weeks 1 day 12 hours ago) and read 2009 times:

Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time! It's a bit spooky how fate can help or hinder a situation.

One question "The buses were overbooked"

I didn't think you could book the buses in the US?

User currently offlineL1011Fan From United States of America, joined May 2003, 271 posts, RR: 0
Reply 2, posted (12 years 9 months 2 weeks 1 day 7 hours ago) and read 1975 times:

Sorry...I should have said "sold out". There were no buses available going from NYC to BOS.

I certainly was in the right place at the right time. I feel bad for all the people that got stranded. A lot of the hotels in NYC didn't allow their guests to stay in their rooms. Even though our room was dark they allowed us to sleep in it.

User currently offlineFlairport From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 3, posted (12 years 9 months 2 weeks 1 day 4 hours ago) and read 1951 times:

what was that flight like... the airport... etc! I really think it is cool that you got out when you did. Lucky!

User currently offlineL1011Fan From United States of America, joined May 2003, 271 posts, RR: 0
Reply 4, posted (12 years 9 months 1 week 6 days 5 hours ago) and read 1898 times:

The flight was very good. I like US Air Shuttle Airbus' b/c they have a better seat pitch than the standard flights. The FA's barely had time to serve peanuts before it was time to land. I guess there wasn't any traffic up in the air b/c from take off to landing was only 30-35 minutes...

The airport was hot because there was no power to run the A/C and there were lots of people going nowhere. I did hear after I deplaned that LGA did get their power back so I was happy that there was some good news for the people stranded there.

Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic My Trip Through LGA 8/15
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Trip reports only! Other topics here
  • If criticizing an airline, express yourself in a dignified manner.
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Long Trip: YUL-LGA-SFO-YYC-YUL On AC And UA posted Mon Nov 27 2006 03:17:58 by Dmanmtl
My Trip On AeroCalifornia posted Sat Nov 4 2006 04:52:19 by Wadnet
My Trip To The US, Part 3 (pics) posted Thu Aug 3 2006 23:53:48 by SDLSimme
My Trip To The US, Part 2 (pics) posted Wed Aug 2 2006 16:40:03 by SDLSimme
My Trip To The US, Part 1 (pics) posted Tue Aug 1 2006 22:39:27 by SDLSimme
My Trip In November 2005 posted Sun Jul 23 2006 20:49:10 by 50watt
Return Trip Through DTW: (DC-9-50/757) With Pics! posted Wed Jun 21 2006 01:12:43 by 767747
My Trip To Ghana On KLM - Long posted Fri Mar 17 2006 19:34:26 by StarAlly
My Trip Over Xmas And New Years On UA And LH posted Wed Jan 11 2006 16:41:54 by Wdleiser
Frontier Trip Report LGA-DEN-SFO Aug 2005 posted Tue Aug 30 2005 01:36:20 by Carfield

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format