TomH
Topic Author

Topic Rating System

Sun Jun 03, 2001 9:29 am

I have a topic on here that so far has 30 responses. No one has rated it, and that's fine with me, because I feel there is no need for the rating system.

My question is this: If the 31st person comes along and rates it with one star, doesn't the next person to see the topic for the first time think it is a poor topic with a low rating-and so they may not read it?

In other words, one rating will be represented graphically. But a potential reader won't know it was the only rating given to the topic. If this is true, the rating system is fatally flawed.

If this is not true, then that means I'm wrong. That's happened before y'know! More than once.

TomH

LY744

RE: Topic Rating System

Sun Jun 03, 2001 10:35 am

I think several people must submit a rating before any stars appear next to the topic, isn't it the way it works?

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

Sun Jun 03, 2001 11:07 am

The stars should appear upon the first rating. All ratings thereafter are averaged to display the proper amount of stars. So, if someone rates your thread with a single star, you can go in and rate it with five stars, this will average three stars.

At least that's how the other boards I visit work.

Mike

N139J

Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:27 am

Here, there isnt a graphic rating until a certain number of people rate it. It is an average and every rating thereafter is averaged in.
-Jason
N139J

administrator

Wed Jun 06, 2001 5:29 am

The star rating doesn't kick in before a certain number of people have rated the post. It then shows the average number.

Some people claim it's a waste of bandwidth as it isn't used for anything but I think it does serve a purpose, especially for new users. If a post of theirs receives a low rating, they might refrain from posting a similar topic in the future.

I am archiving this thread as it should have been posted in the non-aviation forum. I did not create the non-aviation forum for topics on how evil/good the Israelis/Palestinians are or for teens asking how girls think (as it is currently filled with). I created it for topics just like this one.

If you wish to continue this discussion, please turn to the non-aviation forum.

Thanks,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)