Nimrod To Replace P3 Orion

Wed Jun 06, 2001 5:28 am

I've read a small article in a magazine which suggests that the US is seriously considering replacing their P3 Orions with the new version of the Nimrod MR4.

Is this just a study or does it have substance.

Will the new Nimrod version be able to match the P3's operational capability.

CX747

RE: Nimrod To Replace P3 Orion

Wed Jun 06, 2001 6:12 am

There has been some talk of this, but it is highly unlikely that the U.S.A.F would purchase the Nimrod. The top contenders are the 737-700 and various business jets.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

L-188

Wed Jun 06, 2001 6:32 am

I don't think we will see a P-3 replacement for probably another couple of decades. There is a lot of airframe life left and a number of airframes have been sent to the desert for storage and they aren't building any hours up there and would be available for conversion.

I think we will see systems upgrades before we see a replacement. For that aircraft.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jwenting

Wed Jun 06, 2001 3:02 pm

I think you'll see a retirement without replacement sooner than it being replaced with Nimrods.
There is no production line, the Mr.4 are rebuild Mr.1a's...

It would be more practical to build a new MPA on the 737 or maybe the C-130J.
I wish I were flying

CV990

Thu Jun 07, 2001 2:39 am

Hi!

I personally like very much the Nimrod but I don't feel that it will replace this lovely plane called P-3, this plane will go for many years like the C-130 Hercules is going. It's just a kinda o design that will improve forever.
We have now the C-130J, soon we'll have the P-3J with 5 or 6 blades and an all HUD cockpit, and USNavy will start to replace in a one-to-one basis the old one P-3A's B's and C's.
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

CX747

Replacement Schedule.

Fri Jun 08, 2001 5:11 am

Here is a recent article in Aviation Weekly and Space Technology about the P-3 replacement.

"The first P-3Cs need to be retired in 2003, the signals intelligence EP-3Es in 2004."

"The replacement systems, known as the Multi-mission Maritime Aircraft (MMA), are slated to be fielded around 2010-2012."

"The Navy plans to have two versions of MMA, the Search Attack version taking on the P-3's mission, and the surveillance/intelligence aircraft replacing the EP-3. THe search/attack aircraft may also have to conduct strike and mine warfare missions and noncombat actions supporting counter drug operations."

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

jwenting

Sat Jun 09, 2001 2:55 pm

in other words there is a gap of a decade between the P3 leaving service and a -planned, not yet under development- replacement entering.
Given the deathtoll in US military projects lately I'd call it a 70% chance that the replacement platform is never fielded and the long range ASW mission will fall silently by the wayside of costcutting.
I wish I were flying

Tue Jun 12, 2001 5:55 am

I hope not, I LOVE flying the P-3. It will probably be replaced in 2008-2010. However, with another turbo-prop platform!!!:D

redskin

Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:22 pm

Given the recently published journey of the RPV platform from the states to Australia and the advances we will see in technology over the coming decade would it be possible and prudent to explore the RPV option for coastal surv and ASW ???

Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:41 pm

For pure surveillance, yes. The Global Hawk is currently been demonstrated and could prove useful in guarding the Australian coastline, however the delivery of weapons to counter submarine activity is another question.

Although its has been done previoulsy with the USN Dash system I don't know how successful this was operationaly.

Can anybody shed any light on the USN Dash helicoptor operations, and are there trials with using RPV as weapons delivery platforms.