redskin

Raaf F/A 18C Life Cycle Replacement. What

Tue Jun 26, 2001 1:24 pm

I imagine that the Hornet will be due for replacement sometime in the future.What are we going to replace it with as there will be i suspect Budget restrictions.

The RAAF will not be able to afford the JSF or F22 so should we do minor upgrades to the F18 and procure some of the following.

A-Tornado
B-F18 Super Hornet
C-F15E or later variant

This would allow the raff to turn the Hornet into ground and shipping strike with a supplementle role of Air defence. Freeing the newly aquired frames for dedicated Air Defence or do i have the roles backwards.

Whistler

RE: Raaf F/A 18C Life Cycle Replacement. What

Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:21 am

I don't think the JSF is too expensive for Australia. And can you still buy Tornados? I don't think the production lines would open again. I think the main contenders for an Australian F/A-18A replacement would be:

Rafale
Eurofighter 2000
F/A-18E
SAAB Gripen
JSF

They will probably use the same plane to replace the F/A-18 and F-111.

I think it will be a while though. If they wanted a F/A-18 replacement soon they wouldn't be pumping money into Hornet upgrades.

redskin

Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:04 pm

Whistler, what are the upgrade that they are doing on the 18C. also

I am notsure that any of the contenders that you listed are as capable as the PIG in ground stike missions of such vast distances as the 111, to relenquish this type of asset the RAAF will most likely have to have a gun held to it;s head. I like and so do the ADF the ability to REACH OUT AND TOUCH YOU, if your'e are a bad guy.

Whistler

Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:09 pm

Australia doesn't have any F/A-18Cs. Just As. The upgrade they are giving the As is bringing them up to C standard (actually making them better than the C). It is adding new missiles (Amraam, Asraam), new radar, and many other goodies. Canada is getting a similar upgrade for our As.

Kiwi dave

Wed Jun 27, 2001 7:23 pm

If Australia replaces it's F/A-18A's with F/A-18E, why don't they do a deal with the US, what I mean is that the RAAF pays the different for the F/A-18E and hands the early Hornet's to the US.

Whistler

Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:12 am

I don't think the US would really want 20 year old F/A-18As when they have brand new F/A-18Cs and Es...

Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:05 pm

It is correct that the RAAF does not operate F/A-18C's but Whistler,
the RAAF, also operates F/A-18B's in the training (conversion from PC-9's, and the new BAe Hawk's) role. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Whistler

Fri Jun 29, 2001 3:10 am

Ya, so does Canada. The F/A-18B is just an A with 2 cockpits and slightly worse combat capability. The D and F are the same but based on the C and E respectivley.

Kiwi dave

Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:09 am

Iread somewhere the the USMC wants older Hornets.

Fri Jun 29, 2001 6:51 pm

The replacment of the RAAF, FA-18's and F111 will depend on which side of politics is in power.

A Liberal government would probably spend the dollars required to ensure an effective combat capability and wear a higher defence budget.

A Labour government would be less inclined to commit to a higher defence budget.

So Liberal government = maintaining combat effectivness

Labour government = Budget bargin time.

We just have to look at the decisions made by the previous Labour Government on Defence.

Rust bucket ships purchased from the USA
Frigates unable to effectively defend themselves.
Submarines, just spend another couple of billion dollars and they might then 50% effective.

I don't hold much hope of the RAAF being able to maintain an effective combat capability in the future the cost of modern generation fighters and the lack of any real threat, may see the RAAF go the way of the RNZAF a name and nothing else substantial.

Whistler

Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:02 pm

About the Collins class,
I read that the US Pacific fleet is saying it is one of the best Diesel subs they have seen. I will try to find more info.

Sat Jun 30, 2001 7:29 am

They would because it got pass their very limited ASW defences.

In a recent exercise involving the US & Australia a Collins class sub slipped by the US ASW screen and sank a replenishment tanker, sounds good!

However upon investigation the was ASW screen was very limited even a WW1 sub could have got through.

Given the money & time their is hope, Australia has now or on order 6 of these subs.

We will see what happens.

Hey we are supposed to be talking planes not Subs!!!!!!

Kiwi dave

Sun Jul 01, 2001 8:58 am

well the F-111 is still a good weapon in the anti ship role.

Whistler

Sun Jul 01, 2001 9:56 am

Funny you should mention WW1 subs, apparently a few years ago during an excercies a WWII/Korea era Oberon class sub (it was either Canadian or Australian) "sunk" the USS Enterprise Big grin Big grin.

redskin

Mon Jul 02, 2001 9:52 am

Whistler...

You are right it did happen ( Panteen Moment) and yes it was a skippy sub, penetrated fully the asw group screen and closed within torp range and FIRED...

The said that it may well have struck the carrier and after this it was No COMMENT