CX747
Topic Author

VF-14 & 41 On Last Tomcat Cruise.

Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:11 pm

VF-14 "Tophatters" and VF-41 "Black Aces" are currently onboard the U.S.S. Enterprise with their F-14As. This will be their last cruise with the Tomcat, and when the Big E arrives back Stateside, both squadrons will move their nests from NAS Oceana, Virginia to NAS Lemoore, California where they will transition to the F/A-18F Super Hornet. It will definately be different to see these two squadrons colors on something different than the Tomcat  Crying

VF-41: First to Fight, First to Strike and now First to Leave.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

cannibalz3

RE: VF-14 & 41 On Last Tomcat Cruise.

Sat Aug 18, 2001 4:19 pm

Sad that makes me unhappy. Does anyone know what they plan to do with the Phoenix missles? Are they going into storage or will they just be destroyed?

Duce50Boom

Sun Aug 19, 2001 3:39 am

that really sucks about them transitioning to the super hornet. but at least i've been getting some really great pictures of them here in the mid east. i gotta say it'll be sad to see them go. but all good things come to an end

CX747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2001 9:34 am

I would assume that when the last F-14 Tomcat is retired, that the Phoenix missiles will be cut up as the F-14's AWG-9 Weapon System is the only one in the world that works in conjunction with the missile. I have seen some photos of VF-14 and 41 on the E, boy do their Tomcats still look good.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Mon Aug 20, 2001 2:02 am

The Tomcat will be around for sometime, remember the US Navy has a considerable number of re-engined F-14B and newly built F-14D Super Tomcats that are equipped with two 27,000lb thrust GE F110-400 turbofan engines and other updated systems that were delivered in the late 80s to early 90s.