FlagshipAZ
Topic Author

USN Blue Angels' "Fat Albert"

Sat Sep 08, 2001 12:45 am

Gentlemen, and the ladies too...
Just wondering if the Blue Angels still use Fat Albert in their shows. I know it's a C-130 Herk, but is it just one Herk, or is there's more than one? If so, which model is it? Also, does the USAF Thunderbirds have a similar aircraft that they use to support the team? Any & all replys is appreciated. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

RE: USN Blue Angels' "Fat Albert"

Sat Sep 08, 2001 1:11 am

The current "Fat Albert" Herk is a TC-130G. I believe there is only one, and yes, it still performs at shows.

http://www.theaviationzone.com/images/html/hercules/fat-albert/page1.shtml

As for the Thunderbirds, I don't know what their using now.

Mike

USAFHummer

Sat Sep 08, 2001 9:55 am

I believe the T-Birds use a C-141 for transport...it is painted in a special scheme but its not featured in their show like Fat Albert...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

usair1489

Sat Sep 08, 2001 10:47 pm

In a similar thread on a different message board, the Thunderbirds use whatever transport they can get for the weekend. Sometimes it's a C-141, sometimes it's a C-17, sometimes it's a C-130, or there are times when they just don't have one because of operational commitments. Often, the Thunderbirds do not know what they will have as far as a support aircraft goes.

I will get an opportunity to photograph/videotape Fat Albert and the Blues tomorrow at Willow Grove. Hope to see some of you guys there!

Steve
Zinger Aviation Delta Oscar Tango Charlie Oscar Mike

KC-135

Wed Sep 19, 2001 7:02 am

I belive it is a C-130 "H" model with JATO rockets attached to the under rear fuselage. And as far as I know they only operate one. When teh Thunderbirds came to Westmoreland County Airshow, they had a C-130 also come in but I dont know if that is the regular plane.

KC-135

fly_yhm

Thu Sep 20, 2001 5:57 am

I saw the Blue Angels Fat albert a few years ago at the rochester Airshow and it was cool. As for the thunderbirds both times I have seen them In Hamilton they have had a C-141 both times from Mchord AFB.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

j_hallgren

Sat Sep 22, 2001 6:00 am

Seeing FA do a JATO is an impressive sight...and LOUD!
Was at MacDill and they did it as part of show..
They don't always do a JATO though, depends on conditions as i understand it...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!