FlagshipAZ
Topic Author

Bring Back The Battleships.

Mon Sep 17, 2001 1:00 pm

Gentlemen...
While I know this topic is not aviation-related, it is at least military-related. If we're going into another shooting war soon, we should reactivate the Iowa-class battlewagons again. While the Missouri & New Jersey are now, more or less, museum ships...they could be useful. And the Iowa & Wisconsin are held in reserve for such an emergency like we're experiencing now. They're great stable shooting platforms, and built tough as nails. Plus those 16 inch guns can flatten anything much cheaper & just as effective as cruise missles...even tho the shells are not as long-ranged as a missle. And let's remember we still have 12 front-line aircraft carriers, plus another 3 in reserve as well. No other navy can beat our firepower like this. Any opinions welcomed. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

MIG54

RE: Bring Back The Battleships.

Mon Sep 17, 2001 2:54 pm

I too wish the battlewagons were still around but all signs seem to point against reactivation. I read somewhere that the Navy recently scrapped all existing spare 16" gun barrels and with manpower cutbacks the Navy would rather have carriers than battleships. A new ship type is on the drawingboards that would replace the battleship. I understand it will have stealth features , a high degree of automation ( much smaller crew ), and a huge arsenal of cruise missiles and similar weapons. It is of course some years away.

galaxy5

Mon Sep 17, 2001 9:54 pm

ok, where ya gonna use then against afganistan? its totally land locked. hmm
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

jwenting

Mon Sep 17, 2001 10:17 pm

drop them from a squadron of B-52s  Smile (don't take too seriously, but a battleship dropped on Kabul would cause major damage).
I wish I were flying

FlagshipAZ
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2001 11:20 pm

Afganistan is probably not the only nation we're be dealing with in the coming months. There's also Iraq, Yemen & possibily Sudan. These countries are not totally landlocked. A well-placed bombardment from those 16-inch guns will knock out any strategic installations. As much as I hate to admit it, this is a war on a larger scale than the Persian Gulf conflict. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

L-188

Mon Sep 17, 2001 11:32 pm

Galaxy5 said:ok, where ya gonna use then against afganistan? its totally land locked. hmm

Bolivia is also completely landlocked but that does not seem to stop them from having a navy.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Duce50Boom

Tue Sep 18, 2001 1:00 am

I'd think the Bolivian navy would be for patrolling the lakes that border it with Peru and chile. unless there are also rivers that allow it access to the pacific. by the way, jwenting. i don't think b-52's could carry a battleship......60000 tons or so. maybe if they were reengined BUFF's, or maybe they could wave the screen height requirement  Smile. and before any of you remind me he was joking, learn to read sarcasm

fireblade

Jwenting

Tue Sep 18, 2001 2:08 am

Why don't we send them by email afghanistan will be so frightened that will give as bin laden immediately.
 Big thumbs up

galaxy5

Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:02 am

i didnt say get rid of the navy. i said why battleships?
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:27 am

The only battleships the US Navy can possibly bring back to service are the IOWA and WISCONSIN. The MISSOURI is at Pearl Harbor & NEW JERSEY docked somewhere in the state of NJ are now permanent floating museums.