yka

How Do You Aim The AC-130?

Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:13 pm

Thats right, I'm talking about the C-130 with the howitzer, 40mm and vulcan cannons on it. Seems to me that it would be hard to attack targets with at least some degree of percision when you have to aim all those guns by banking the aircraft while flying at reletivly fast speeds. Is there some technique that I dont know about or is targeting perhaps done by some integrated autopilot/targeting system which is programed to cirlcle and fire at a specific cordinate on the ground?

FlyBoeing

RE: How Do You Aim The AC-130?

Mon Nov 05, 2001 2:17 pm

Here is an image of how the side firing guns work, with the aircraft flying in a circle and the guns firing down. If the aircraft orbits a particular position all that is needed to focus the fire is to change the "pylon".

Actually, the gun system is incredibly accurate. During Vietnam, the AC-130s had the ASD-5, a device that could find the electromagnetic emissions emitted by the ignition coils on Soviet trucks. They then cruised the Ho Chi Minh trail and knocked out truck after truck after truck with the 40mm guns. According to this site

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8758/index3.html

the 20mm guns are fixed and the 40s and 105s are trainable to within 12 degrees. So coupled up with that aiming system I think you can get pretty good accuracy.

Also, I believe that its system can engage more than one target at a time.

jwenting

RE: How Do You Aim The AC-130?

Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:53 pm

I wish I were flying