Topic Author
Posts: 2291
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2001 2:34 am

Ex-Military Personnel Records

Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:31 am

Is there a website to find old servicemen's service records, etc.? I have a math teacher who served in the Navy for 25 years and retired in 1995. Is there a way to see his military background and record?
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 6:36 pm

RE: Ex-Military Personnel Records

Fri Dec 07, 2001 7:14 pm

Go to
There you will find a bunch of useful links on Records Request for Military Personnel and how to locate personnel of the US Armed Forces (including veterans).
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2000 6:00 am

RE: Ex-Military Personnel Records

Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:32 am

Service records on former DoD civilians and military members are NOT maintained by the DoD or the services. They are maintained by NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri. What can be released without the member's permission is:

Service Number (non-SSN only)
Highest Rank Held
Dates of Service
Awards and Decorations
Place on Entrance and Separation/Retirement

Here's a link to the appropriate page on NARA's web site:

However I think you find that we retired service members are quite willing to answer a wide range of questions from a person who it thinking about a military career.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: shamrock15 and 10 guests