mightyfalcon

Super Lynx For Oman

Sun Jan 20, 2002 5:38 pm

Hi all,

This would be my first post in this forum: The omani government signed yesterday in Muscat an agreement with JKN Westland to provide RAFO (Royal Air Force of Oman) with 16 Super Lynx helicopters.

These will replace current RAFO's Bell UH-1s to enhance and modernise the country's defence capabilities.
No delivery date has been mentioned in the local papers.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © David Unsworth

Sorry, this is a navy version of the Super Lynx but the only one I've found in the database.

Regards
MightyFalcon
The sky has no limit...

Contact_tower

RE: Super Lynx For Oman

Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:45 pm

This is the standard Army Lynx  Smile

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Alan Moss

mightyfalcon

Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:46 am

Hi Contact_tower,
nice to hear from another Atco!  Big thumbs up

Sorry about the question but would you know the main difference between the Lynx and the Super Lynx? My knowledge in helos and military planes is rather poor.

Many thanks
MightyFalcon
The sky has no limit...

GDB

Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:46 am

The versions Oman are buying could resemble the British Army AH-9's, these have the improved rotors shown on the Naval version pic above, plus a wheeled undercarriage, a crashworthy one designed for land use not like the one on the Naval Lynx.
Are some of the Omani order for Naval versions, or was that a previous order?
You may see some ex-RN Naval versions come on the market soon, as some are replaced by EH-101 Merlins.
The TOW firing ones being replaced by Westland built, R/R engined Apache longbows, will probably be upgraded to AH-9 standard, for scout/light transport.

mightyfalcon

Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:01 am

Thanks for the info GDB!

According to the newspapers here, the order is for the Air Force. I'll try to get some more details at work in a couple of days.

As for the Navy, although they're seeking a replacement helicopter, I didn't hear of any order yet.

Regards
MightyFalcon
The sky has no limit...