jwenting

RE: Here Comes The Killer Laser

Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:10 pm

Weird piece.
The USAF has been working on an airborne laser for years.
First attempts failed because the thing was too heavy to get off the ground (doh).
Second attempt failed because the electronics could not reliably track and engage the target.
They're now into generation 3, which seems to be working.

It is based on a 747-400 jetliner, the only aircraft currently in production in the USA that is large enough and powerfull enough to lift the equipment.
IF they have succeeded in getting the same power weapon into a C-130 that will have been an enormous achievement in only a few years where there have been decades before where it didn't work. I don't say it can't be done, but I have my doubts.
I wish I were flying

LY744

Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:15 pm

I'm sure the one to be used on the AC-130 is much smaller and lighter because it doesn't have to have the range and power that the original (anti-missile) airborne laser has.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

flyf15

Tue Feb 19, 2002 3:44 am

Time to start painting valuable targets like a mirror. Better yet, why not cover them with those rectangular reflectors that shoot energy back in the direction it came from. Somebody is missing something, probably me, but hasn't the military thought of this yet?

2912n

Tue Feb 19, 2002 3:59 am

The military has not missed the point...Covering with mirrors or high relfectivity (wheres a spell check when you need it...) defeats the prupose of camouflauge. Do all sorts of radar and ir absorbing paint on a tank andd then put a big mirror on it? Laser target designators have been used for years now and they are dificult to detect and/or defend against.