cannibalz3

Military Charters

Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:16 am

How often does the US military charter aircraft, and for what reasons? Do other countries do this also?

Lt-AWACS

RE: Military Charters

Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:45 am

The USAF charter jets all the time for personnel transport. I just came back from Oman on an L-1011 (the AFs favourite it seems from ATA usually). We normally bring our folks through BWI for customs (sometimes JFK) and then on to what ever base, or civilian airport in some cases.

We also use charters for extra cargo, though rare, even CRAF- Civilian Reserve Airline Fleet (I think I remeber thatis what it stands for ) can be used in an emergency.

Ciao,
LT-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

Woodreau

Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:22 am

The freedom bird or jail bird depending on which way you were going is a military chartered aircraft that travels between the US and Japan.

Departs out of LAX to Yokota AB to Kadena AB to SEA then back to LAX...

It was a World Airways MD-11. Carried all the military folks and dependents who got orders to Japan.

It's always packed.

So I'm pretty sure that USTRANSCOM charters civilian aircraft all the time.

Cheers  Smile
Woodreau - KMVL
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Hamfist

Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:55 am

The "Freedom Bird" is a loose term for many military charters. It's not just one certain aircraft on a specific route.

As for charters in general...like Lt-Awacs said, the military has charter flights operating on a daily basis all over the world. Certain types of troop transport are just more cost effective to contract. Plus, the Air Force doesn't possess the capability to cover all troop-moving requirements.

PS-- The CRAF is indeed the Civil Reserve Air Fleet. It consists of designated civil air carrier aircraft that can be called into service in a time of need--both cargo and people transports. As far as I know, it was last used during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. If we again have that need in the near future, you can bet this will be used extensively. Strategic airlift is one of the biggest problem areas in the Air Force right now. C-17 excluded, our airlift aircraft are getting REALLY OLD, and our ops tempo in the last decade has sent many of them to the "Boneyard" a bit early.

Lt-AWACS

Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:06 pm

Amen to the Ops tempo thing Hamfist. Even though all of our E-3s are 25 to 20 years old, everyone of our Airframes has more time than the 40-50 yearold B-52s, We have the highest airtime of any airframe in mainline service, though our Cycles are about average since we fly 12-18+hour missions.

Gotta Love the L-1011s though, I enjoy flying them when I get the chance.

I'm glad I remembered the CRAF thing right, I learned that in ROTC like 5 years ago  Smile

Ciao,
Lt-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!