flyn

Radar Lock

Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:03 pm

I really never understood the concept of fighter jets when it is lock on before it gets shot at what exactly does that mean

Lt-AWACS

RE: Radar Lock

Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:45 pm

well Radar lock is (on a basic level) for use with Aim-7 constant-lock, and Aim-120s (and 54s though they are going away) which need a shorter lock on. Aim-9s are heater (IR) missiles and do not require that type of Radar lock as they are not radar supported.

the Aim 7 is a semi-active radar guided AAM. The Pilot needs to keep the target locked up on the scope (MFD) multi function display (different names for different airframes but it is the same thing). Aim 7s are for shorter ranges than the AIM-120s (which are for BVR-Beyond visual range shots). Air Defense Versions of the F-16 can carry these and they are useful because if you shot them and then need to 'snip it' i.e. stop supporting it you can and it will stop tracking (maybe you took a shot at something you shouldn't have)
Otherwise the Aim-7 must be supported until it hits the target. i.e. the pilot must keep his radar on the target until F-pole, or the point that the missile will impact. So the pilot cannot get out of dodge until he sees the fireball.

The AIM120 does not need this constant support it is an 'active' radar missile and tracks on it's own. Though if you take an off boresight or shot way to the side then it will be a low percentage probability of kill. Otherwise the Aim-120 is much more leathal. And the pilot can get of dodge much quicker

Does that help???

Ciao and Hook 'em Horns,
Lt-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

flyn

RE: Radar Lock

Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:22 pm

Thanks Now that I think about it I have seen those type on video footage of DESERT STORM The type with cameras in the guided missiles

But Lets refer the fake world of Hollywood when A aircraft gets locked onto it seems like the pilot is Not able to control the jet and what does it mean for the guy who are being painted ? Once you get locked onto is it almost impossible to get out of ?