Topic Author

We Had To Go Bear Hunting Again

Wed May 01, 2002 10:14 am

Thats right, Elemendorf Air Force Base just confirmed that it had to scramble some F-15's last week to intercept some Russian Bear bombers which where approaching the coast of Alaska.

It has been a couple of years since the last time one was intercepted.

In a dark part of this story, news of the intercept wasn't released though the local officals at the base but rather through an unnamed source at the pentagon. Only after word had been leaked there was a statement issued by the base.

The base spokeswoman had a week statement about security and sept 11th.

The fact that this story was withheld is very scary, There have been enough cases of harm being caused by the military withholding from the public information about activities. It is sad to know that they don't trust the people the are tasked to defend.

RE: We Had To Go Bear Hunting Again

Wed May 01, 2002 11:16 am

Who cares if the local officials didn't release the story? If I was PA at Elmendorf, I wouldn't be talking to anyone either. This is the type of info that should be addressed by either the Pentagon or national level leaders, as it has more to do with politics than it does any significant military action.

The general public doesn't have an absolute right to know everything. Besides, what would you have done if you had known right away? Start digging a shelter in your back yard and pick the kids up from school?

Wed May 01, 2002 11:58 am

Why should that info be released by the local base? As the previous post said, it is something to be addressed at the National level.

And why is it a big deal anyway? Did the Bears violate US airspace? Was there any indication they were hostile? I would guess they were jsut doing what we (the U.S.) does all the time, checking radar and air defense status. We do it to them, they do it to us, it is no big deal.

Wed May 01, 2002 11:03 pm

While it is troublesome that the USSR/Russia has started their old tricks again, it is indeed not something that should be dealt with at a local level. In the old days you didn't get a contact report every time a Bear was caught near US shores either, did you?
If it happens more often and is not an isolated incident, maybe it is time to get worried and in that case the white house is the place to look for an announcement.
I wish I were flying

Wed May 01, 2002 11:23 pm

Bear, Backfire, Coot and May aircraft are intercepted by RNoAF F-16 several times each year, and Norwegian P-3C's are intercepted by Russian Mig/Su's.

They spy on us, we spy on them, nothing unusual!  Big thumbs up

Thu May 02, 2002 12:41 am

Jwenting, a correction...there is no USSR any more.

As to "old tricks" , I don't know about you but the days of cat and mouse between US and Soviet aircraft are starting to feel nostalgic.....at least those scenarios operated under unwritten rules and a rudimentary mutual respect. That "conflict" generally ended with a smirk and a wave from the cockpit of the opposer's plane.

Now we live in an age where the greatest danger comes not from some icy bucket of airspace over the Arctic, but from some coward who might live down the street, using the freedom of this country as his weapon to kill.