Spacepope
Topic Author

Indian Drones

Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:45 am

Just a quick question that I was wondering about since the news of Pakistan reporting an air to air kill of one near Lahore. What kinds of drones does India operate and in what numbers. Also, does Pakistan also recon. drones?

T.J.
The last of the famous international playboys

GDB

RE: Indian Drones

Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:37 am

India is technically capable of producing advanced drones, and they've been doing a lot of work with the worlds most experienced UAV maker-Israel.
Israeli components were found in the wreckage of the shot down UAV.
Not so sure about Pakistan.

Spacepope
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:55 am

I was especially curious because from what photos I've seen published of this recent shootdown, to me it looks like the seeker head and control fins from a sidewinder rather than what I would charachterize as a UAV. The Israeli electronics doesn't really surprise me, as those are probably some of the best available to them. Any pics of intact Indian drones?

T.J.
The last of the famous international playboys

BarfBag

Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:53 am

Spacepope is right. The pictures he's referring to, shows the front IR sensor and fins of an AIM-9 Sidewinder that brought down the UAV. The picture caption wrongly states that it was a part of the UAV. The sidewinder probably cost more than the UAV did  Smile

IndianGuy

Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:16 pm

While the Indian DRDO does produce a UAV called *Nishant*, the one that was bought down outside Lahore was of Israeli make. Israel is the second largest supplier of Defence Material for India and India is Israels biggest customer.

-Roy