777lover
Topic Author

Speckled Trout

Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:04 pm

I realize it's a -135 derivative but I'd like to know more information about it and its role and if you have any stories/comments concerning it

sunilgupta

RE: Speckled Trout

Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:33 am

I know this is not much, but we used to see it at Andrews AFB all the time.

This page seems to have a lot of good info and links to other sites with info: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/c-135.htm

Sunil

Lt-AWACS

Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:40 am

A new Spec Trout has been delivered to Edwards where it is based. The old was retired, and the one is from Hickam where it did VIP and other duties.

If you search around af.mil you can find the pic, go to the weekly pics section around 6 Aug and you will see the one being delivered.

It will mainly do communications testing and vip airlift
run by the 412 sq at Edwards.

Ciao and Hook 'em Horns,
Lt-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

Lt-AWACS

Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:25 am

also

"The aircraft "Speckled Trout" is an extensively modified C-135C used primarily as an advanced avionics and communications test bed for state-of-the-art guidance, control, navigation, and communication equipment. It is also used to evaluate future transport aircraft design.

The 412th Flight Test Squadron operates the Speckled Trout and manages its test mission.

The name Speckled Trout applies to both the organization and the aircraft. The name was chosen in honor of an early program monitor, Faye Trout, who assisted in numerous phases of the project. The word "speckled" was added because Trout apparently had "a lot of freckles.""

From another of their websites

Ciao and Hook 'em Horns,
Lt-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

airforce1995

Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:34 pm

True that the new one has arrived but the old Trout is still "flopping". It will be quite some time before the new one is ready to go. I talked to someone that is a part of Speckled Trout the other day. The missions that it does the most is VIP transports. Its really nice inside I must add. The new one has to go through a lot of mods before they can use it, also the new one still has the Air refueling boom on it, but hasn't worked for a number of years. It did come from Hickam so has a lot of corrosion on it. Its acually older than the present one but has fewer flying hours.