IMissPiedmont
Topic Author

The First Bone To AMARC.

Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:14 pm

Today the first B-1 was scheduled to arrive for storage at AMARC. As I has that nasty job thing to take care of, I could not be there for it's arrival.

It is said that by the end of 2003 33 will be in storage and 8 on static display at various bases. No word yet on public museums.

Steve
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Lt-AWACS

RE: The First Bone To AMARC.

Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:27 pm

and of course the crew from the last Bone will be flown home on a BUFF from Tucson  Big grin

Thanks for the info!

Ciao and Hook 'em Horns,
Lt-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

IMissPiedmont
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:14 pm

Tongue in cheek accepted AWACS but the BUFF is a Boeing so that would be expected.

broke

Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:51 pm

The A.F. Museum is slated to get a B-1B in time for the opening of the Kettering Gallery in April, 2003. The Museum already has the No. 4 B-1A and I don't know if that will stay or not. The Museum also has the B-2 Iron Bird and the plan is to display the B-1 (whichever version) and the B-2 together.
The planes will probably be in one of the original galleries of the museum and not in the Kettering. There will be a considerable amount of realignment of the displays to get them back into a more chronological sequence and some of that work is already in progress. Only the early years area will remain essentially as it is.

AvObserver

Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:35 am

This is a sad day for the U.S. Air Force and Air Combat Command. None of these beautiful, highly capable birds are even close to retirement age. It's purely a matter of money that they're being retired. I'd think with our war on terrorism likely to expand around the globe, we'd want to keep as many of them in service as possible. Sadly, our military has too many priorities and too little funds.

Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:34 am

I don't think these B-1Bs will be retired for good, they will probably be stored for a while before they will be needed again for some major conflict.

jwenting

Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:01 pm

They'll be cut up into their component parts and used for spares Tedski. That's the usual fate of aircraft send to AMARC that are no longer in production.
It's cheaper to do that than get parts produced, especially in the small numbers needed for the B-1B.
I won't be too surprised if in a few years the rest of the fleet are also destroyed because it gets too expensive to maintain them and Strike Eagles can do the same mission (at least on paper and with massive tanker support).
I wish I were flying

IMissPiedmont
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:13 pm

The latest word is that 10 will be kept in flyable hold, the rest of the 24 at AMARC (my 33 number was wrong, that is the number to be retired in the next 15 months apparently) will indeed be cannibalized. As of this morning the first was not yet on celebrity row though I imagine it soon will be.

Oh, one more thing. The F-15 can not do what the Bone can. Simply put the B-1 is the only aircraft that can fly in any weather, 2000 miles into enemy territory, 100 feet AGL, drop it's load and return to a friendly base.

Steve

Lt-AWACS

Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:48 pm

No but we can have B-2s fly 33 hours and bomb from Altitude or we can have our friends the British fly Tornados in at 200ft and bomb it for us, it is just more dangerous (re Persian Gulf).

Working with bombers the Bones tend to have to many problems and deviate from the ATO to often, the Buffs tend to be more predictable at least when I have been working with them. Not that the bone is a bad plane but I think the cut backs are a decent plan for this airframe.

Ciao and Hook 'em Horns,
Lt-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

IMissPiedmont
Topic Author

Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:19 pm

Pretty much true AWACS. Except that the B-2 has a little problem with rainy weather. The BUFF, to paraphrase what I think you wrote, is the best.

Have fun is Saudi.