plane_lover

Why Should I Pick The Military?

Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:57 am

Hey my name is Nick, I am a young guy on 21. I have always dreamed of becoming a pilot, but I don't what to choose? the civil or the military? So if you got any good advice then I would be happy to hear them.

Thank you for your advice.

KAUSpilot

RE: Why Should I Pick The Military?

Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:09 am

From what I've been told, you've gotta do it out of a desire to serve your country, not for selfish reasons because there's no guarantee you'll get a flying job in the military. It would really suck if you signed up then got put into a desk job if the only reason you enlisted was to get flying time.

gocaps16

Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:03 pm

It's up to you man. If you think you can pass the military's strenueous flight phyiscal, aka the vision test then go military. Plus you get the best benefits if you go in the military. It's not that bad...10-20 years in the military flying, retire at age 41 since you are 21, then get a job with a major airline and get two paycheck every month, your retirement check from the military and your current job with an airline. That's the best way and I think I might be going in that direction.

Kevin

Shawn Patrick

Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:59 am

Honestly, you have to do it out of a desire to serve your country. Sounds cheezy, but it's something like that.

You'll be making huge sacrifices for about 10 years of your life, or however long you're in the military. And I kind of think that if you're just now thinking that you want to go into the military, you're probably thinking you want to go in just because you'll get to fly for free. If you have a desire to go into the military when you're young it's better, because you're probably not thinking about money or anything else - you're just thinking "wow, I'd really love to serve my country and be a part of something so huge". That's the reason you should be wanting to go into the military.

my 2 cents.

bsergonomics

Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:21 pm

Ask yourself this: What type of flying do you want to do? What kind of person are you?

In the military, you get to fly at 50 feet through the mountains, pulling 9g turns and blowing things up. In the civil world, you are a bus driver, but you don't (usually) get shot at.

If the thrill of flying at 600 kts at less than 50 feet and blowing things up is your only reason for wanting to do it, are you of the right mentality to be a pilot?

If you want to be a military pilot, can handle the pressures and love to fly at less than 500 feet at 600 kts, are you sure you're prepared to run the risk of doing it with people trying their damnedest to kill you?

You are essentially asking which of two completely different environments you should choose. In one, you are in the business of killing people and destroying things. In the other, you are in the business of transporting self-loading cargo from A to B, trying your damnedest not to kill anyone.

You choose.
The definition of a 'Pessimist': an Optimist with experience...

jwenting

Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:59 pm

Of course, a lot of military pilots never fly at 50 feet through mountains and drop bombs at things doing 600 knots.
They're the unsung heroes in the helicopters, transport aircraft, training corps, and heavy bombers.

But indeed, as already stated, if the only reason for joining the military is that you get to fly for free think again.
For every pilot there are at least 10 or so non-pilots in the air force. You sign up for the Air Force, with preference to become a pilot. If you can't become a pilot (no job openings, you fail your medical or drop out of flying training) you'll still have to complete your term of 5 years or so (depending on your contract, I believe it's 5 years here).
If you have no desire to serve your country, those could be the hardest 5 years of your life. Potentially working a job you don't like, moving regularly to other places you don't care about with uncomfortable living quarters (a.k.a. a tent in the desert) and the chance of being shot at.
I wish I were flying

Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:59 am

No guarantees in the military pal. You could end up "flying" helicopters (gag...choke..cough). Best bet for the military is to go Guard or Reserves. You go in guaranteed a pilot slot. And if you do not f**k up, you're out in a couple of years doing your one weekend a month and shopping your military training around to the airlines.

This way you get the best of both worlds.

Dirk"been-there-done-that"Savage

USAir767

Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:13 pm

If you are gonna join the military to be a pilot join the Navy, I am the Navy right now stationd on the aircraft Carrier Carl Vinson navy has the best pilots out of all the military branches i dont care what those air force wieners say when it come to aviation Navy is the best what other pilots do you know when can land on a ship that sways side to side and moves up and down in the waves? not air force anybody can land a plane on a runway that does not move or go up and down. So do yourself a favor and join the navy, I am currently and Aviation Boatswains Mate I am a yellow shirt that launches planes off the flight deck and i love every minute of it.

Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:03 am

Let's see...........low pay..........long working hours...........low pay..........extensive travel..........low pay........sharing a closet sized room with another guy...........low pay..........coming home and finding your wife "ten-toes-up" with a USAF guy in on a TDY...........low pay.

Join the Reserves or the Guard. You can play "Johnny-Thunder-of-the-skies" on the weekends.............get a job flying freight........and spend your time figuring out how to spend your 150-200K that you will be making each year.

USAir767

Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:36 pm

He is right enlisted dont make shit me as an E-1 after deductions i make about 850 a month go to janitor school you will make more money and you wont have to risk your life everyday

2912n

Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:26 pm

The military can be the best time you will ever have in your life. It can also be the absolute WORST time in your life.

In the military you will have the opportunity to do things that no one else does. You may fly a jet, or fly nap of the earth in a Cobra, jump out of a C-130 at 800 feet...at night...with full equipment weighing 120 pounds. You may get to go to the range a shoot a .50 cal and blow things up. Or you may scrub a toilet

Understand what you are getting into before you sign up and do it for the right reasons. Becausse you want to serve your country, you want to grow as a person, you want to learn about leadership and learn how to apply it. You are willing to put your life on the line for an ideal. Don't do it for the money or the alleged glamour. (You will be disappointed.) Do it for the right reasons and accept the bad with the good and great and you will cherish the time. (it may take some time to realise that...but it does come.)

Tony

jcxp15

Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:07 am

From what I've heard, enlisted military are rarely given flight spots. I was talking to a Navy guy a couple weeks back, and he said that about 1-5% of enlisted men and women who want to fly are actually given spots. Priority goes to Academy graduates, then to ROTC and all other officers.

blackbird1

Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:07 pm

My vote would be:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gerhard Plomitzer
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gerhard Plomitzer

Your decision. Good luck! Blackbird1
I'd rather be flying!

galaxy5

Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:25 pm

USAir767
Respect Rating: 0
Posted 2002-12-10 04:13:56 and read 96 times.
If you are gonna join the military to be a pilot join the Navy, I am the Navy right now stationd on the aircraft Carrier Carl Vinson navy has the best pilots out of all the military branches i dont care what those air force wieners say when it come to aviation Navy is the best what other pilots do you know when can land on a ship that sways side to side and moves up and down in the waves? not air force anybody can land a plane on a runway that does not move or go up and down. So do yourself a favor and join the navy, I am currently and Aviation Boatswains Mate I am a yellow shirt that launches planes off the flight deck and i love every minute of it.

It must be true, your in the Navy because your grammar and spelling is atrocious.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

JeffM

Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:02 pm

If you have to ask us......stay out of the military.

Jeff

jwenting

Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:08 pm

Jeff, he just wants to knows the pros and cons of military life, the things the recruiters don't tell you.
Nothing wrong with that I'd say...
I wish I were flying

JeffM

Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:44 am

I would think that at the age of 21 you would know how to make a decision. Especially one like that. He didn't mention the pro's and con's of military life, he wanted to know which road to take to become a pilot.

I would make this analogy... If you like driving a bus...become a commercial airline pilot. If you would prefer a race car...become a fighter pilot.

There is a big difference between flying planes and serving your country.

Happy New Year!

Jeff

JohnM

Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:06 pm

Big question. Do you have your degree? If not you could shoot for an enlisted flying job. Another option is the Army Warrant Officer program. Sombody else gagged at the thought of flying helicopters, but they are some of the last machines left that take a lot of "stick and rudder" skills. Flying at 5 ft above the trees is a real hoot, and Army aviation does this freqently. Also with night vision goggles. Or sling loads with NVGs. I went the enlisted route 26 years ago, and I would do it again in a heart beat. It isn't always easy or fun, but nothing is.