aa61hvy

Dallas Air Force Bases?

Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:39 pm

I don't know all that much about the Military in general. Now that I have a recently discovered love for C-5's (or at least the sound) I want to see one in person. Are there any Air Force Bases in the Dallas Fort Worth Area? And if there are do they get C-5's? Thanks!!
Go big or go home

CX747

RE: Dallas Air Force Bases?

Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:55 pm

Unfortunately, the information that I have isn't showing any C-5s based in Texas. That doesn't mean though that they won't be operating into the AFBs there. The only military cargo aircraft based in Texas seem to be C-130s.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Woodreau

Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:19 pm

The closest base to you in Dallas is Carswell JRB, with Navy F-18s (VFA-201), C-40s (VR-59) and Texas ANG C-130's (136th Airlift Wing) based there.

Dyess AFB in Abilene is the next closest I think with Air Force B-1s (7th Bomb Wing) and C-130s (317th Airlift Group).

Cheers  Smile
Woodreau / KMVL
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Lt-AWACS

Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:31 pm

Actually Carswell AFB, changed to AS (NAS) / Mitscher Field (NKX / KNKX), USA - California">NAS Ft. Worth JRB, the 'Carswell' name was dropped, though many do still call it that.

AS (NAS) / Mitscher Field (NKX / KNKX), USA - California">NAS Ft Worth JRB, is located in West-NW Ft. Worth, their aircraft noted above, though they also have AFR F-16s from 301st FW.

C-5s also sometimes fly into Ft Hood's AAFs south of Waco, and into what used to be Kelly AFB in San Antonio (now part of Lackland). Randolph AFB, Ellington Field, Lauglin AFB, Fort Bliss, Sheppard AFB, and AS (NAS) / Mitscher Field (NKX / KNKX), USA - California">NAS Kingsville, all have lots of Military ops,though few C-5s.

Kelly AFB used to have more C-5s ops than it does now. Your closest bet is Altus AFB, in SW Oklahoma, they have C-5s there at the 56th AS.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Lt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

galaxy5

Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:05 am

Um kelly Afb has moved to lackland Afb and they still operate the C-5 also the C-5 schoolhouse will be closing in 2006 from altus and will move to Lackland afb, the training will be done by the reserves.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

Lt-AWACS

Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:57 am

Well as I said in my post above, the Runway at Kelly is now part of Lackland, though as my reserve bubbas there tell me, the ops tempo at Kelly is very slow (as several C-5s are deployed), compared to Altus, so if you are in the Dallas area and want to see C-5s Altus is probably your best bet right now, plus it is easier to see the Runway at Altus than Kelly Field at Lackland.

But of course we had a C-5 here at Tinker a few days ago, you never know at which field you might get lucky. NAS Ft Worth JRB, is hard to see from most angles from the city streets. Though the Vipers are pretty active from the AFRs and the Factory so that is the most likely jet to see, along with the F-18s heading down to Brownwood MOAs for BFM and DACT.

Ciao, and Hook'em Horns,
Lt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

globemaster

Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:53 am

Check http://www.globemaster.de/html/skyunits.html

Search for C-5 or search for Texas and you probably find what you need.

In fact the smartest way is to use the "Advanced Search" right there and search for C-5 (Aircraft field) AND texas (State field) or any other combination that comes to your mind.

aa61hvy

Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:07 am

Thanks alot everyone!
Go big or go home