planespotterx

How Busy R Military Airfields?

Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:24 am

Ive always wondered this, and meant to ask it for a long time, how busy do RAF airfields get in a day (if theres no war on, and if there is a war on)
say how many planes would u expect to see in a day, and wheres the busiest and 'spotter friendliest' base in the UK.
Its not the fall that kills u, its the sudden stop at the end..

cannibalz3

RE: How Busy R Military Airfields?

Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:39 am

And how bout the same for the US?

jwenting

Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:14 pm

Haven't been to military bases in a few years, but mid-1990s in the Netherlands it was eerilly quiet most of the day.
Hours go past without seeing a single aircraft, then a group of 2-3 take off or land on a training mission.

The average base had maybe 60 pilots assigned here (less now as the force has been slashed). Those fly maybe once every week (less now, once every other week).
I wish I were flying

gocaps16

Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:13 pm

I live on a military airfield, Apollo Soucek Naval Airfield in Virginia Beach, VA. In fact, during the day, it gets busy here, normally seeing one or two planes taking off every minute or so. If you live where I am right now, you will normally hear one jet a minute flying over my building at 150ft into the air for a few hours a day. At night, there is usually 1-2 -14s and/or 18s in the pattern for night quals. At day, they normally fly pattern work and/or formation flights just checking on everything that will work properly aka after heavy maintanence. So, it gets pretty busy here at day.

Kevin
U.S. NAVY
F-14B/D powerplant mechanic