maiznblu_757

Thunderchickens To Perform Over San Diego Beach...

Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:58 pm

April 17th and 18th 2004.

What Beach????????????????????

KROC

RE: Thunderchickens To Perform Over San Diego Beach...

Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:06 pm

Hey Navy boy, you wern't trying to bait me with the title were ya? If so, it worked.  Big grin

It will be nice for the people of San Diego to see some real aviators and the best flying team out there. I'm sure they are tired of having to see the 3rd string team, the Blue Princesses.

LMP737

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:29 am

Everyone knows a naval aviator in a Cessna 152 can put on a better show than the Taurus.......sorry I mean Thunderbirds.  Big grin
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

KROC

Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:28 am

Outstanding. Another crack smoking A.net member!  Big grin

Maybe you and Maiznblu can get together, swab the deck, and tell myths about Naval Aviation and how their pilots are better than the Air Force's. We all know its all about the USAF.  Big thumbs up

LMP737

Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:36 am

".......how their pilots are better than the Air Force's."

You said it not me.  Big grin

KROC

Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:11 pm

Myths my man myths.  Laugh out loud

Hamfist

Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:53 am

As a fellow USAF-type, I've got to vote for the home team and say the T-birds are the standard.

However, if I had my choice of which to fly for, I'd be a Blue. The T-birds are WAY too consumed with image and acting the part. I'm convinced these guys don't leave the house in the morning until every hair on their head is parted exactly in accordance with their unwritten social instruction manual.

The Blue's carry themselves more in the tradition of old-school aviators with a nice balance of bravado and respect for their spectators. They just seem to be more relaxed and truly love what they do.

maiznblu_757

Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:22 am

Hamfist,
this says it all

TIGHTER IS ALWAYS BETTER!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Allan Rossmore

View Large View Medium

Photo © Shawn Byers

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tom Turner

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manas Barooah

Hamfist

Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:19 am

There's always something to be said for tighter...

But once you pick a position, the real story is in how well you maintain the integrity of the formation you have chosen. In the numerous times I've seen these teams, the T'birds always seem to maintain their formations much more crisp and more gracefully switch from one formation to the next. The Blues get their props from having more of a barnburning style with stunt-like maneuvers.

maiznblu_757

Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:15 pm

I wonder if this has anything to do with the opening of the Midway Museum? Its opening in April. I dunno.

Lt-AWACS

Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:48 pm

I just saw the T-Birds again while I was at Langley this week for the 100th anv. of flight. IT was interesting to see the Snowbirds on the ramp next to T-Birds, next to our E-3, next to KC-10s and C-21s, with two F/A-22s and boucoup F-15Cs- good times indeed.

I agree the Blue Angels do barnstorm better than the T-Birds- that is what they are known for- low and tight, while the T-Birds do many more formations especially using all 6 a/c.

As for the pilots, well I've said it before I'll say it again, the Navy has more Class A mishaps than the Air Force, and many many more HATRs, those are the facts, but it is often easier to work with Navy pilots as they use and defer to Command and control better than Air Force pilots- especially F-15Cs, who think they can work on their own, then in OIF we sent them home early  Smile/happy/getting dizzy as they were useless.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

LMP737

Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:02 am

Lt-Awacs:

Of course the Navy has a higher Class A mishap rate. They have to contend with things the Air Force does not. Such as cold cats, snapped arresting wires, or trying to land on a postage stamp in the middle of the night.

Guess you don't need me telling you this but since E-2C Hawkeyes are an integral part of the CAG the fighter/attack crews spend a lot of time working with them. In was my squadron in the Navy shared a hanger with the CAG E-2C unit. Makes for close relations.

LMP737

Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:04 am

Sorry, I meant to say "In fact my squadron in the Navy shared a hanger with the CAG E-2C unit."

AAR90

Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:36 am

Of course the Navy has a higher Class A mishap rate. They have to contend with things the Air Force does not. Such as cold cats, snapped arresting wires, or trying to land on a postage stamp in the middle of the night.

A common misconception. Close scrutiny of USN Aviation Mishap Rates [1950s-1983] showed CV related mishaps significantly less likely than land-based mishaps... we're safer at sea than on land. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself--in the first hour of the first class of ASO course at Naval Post-Graduate School. Would be significantly higher if USN hadn't adopted [plagerized] the USAF's aviation safety and maintenance programs a few decades ago --thanks guys.  Big thumbs up

*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

maiznblu_757

Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:42 am

LT. Awacs,

Try getting authorization to land your big birds on a 6500ft runway. TVC has had Navy E6's doing touch n goes there in the past. We also have had the E6A familiarization bird, a big 707 with the old engines.. Bottom line, Navy pilots have more balls.

LMP737

Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:42 am

AAR90:

Guess I should made the point that when you combine the at sea and land based mishaps they are higher than the USAF.

AAR90

Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:37 am

LMP737,

True, but my point was that when you remove the sea-based operations from the USN figures, USN consistently maintains a higher mishap rate than does the USAF. Granted, NPGS aviation safety courses are probably biased --show the need for and success of ASO program-- but those trends remain. While attending NPGS I attempted to segregate just the TacAir statistics for comparison, but that was just too complex for the limited time/resources available back then. My theory was that while USN was proven to be more mishap prone ashore, the USAF's much higher volumn of transport type operations skewed their mishap rate lower [MR = mishaps/flight hours]. I recall seeing a [USN] Safety Center document in early 1990's that actually performed similar calculations [don't know the exact study years] concluding that similar type operations by both services had similar mishap rates [USN normally slightly higher rate than USAF]. Try as we might, never seemed to catch 'em.  Angry For those of us in Aviation Safety, that was always the goal.  Crying OTOH, USN seemed to always beat USAF in number of mishaps that made it to a Federal Courtroom each year.  Nuts

JeffM

Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:04 pm

Our old F-4 Tech rep used to tell us about how the Blues developed a maneuver where one A-4 would roll inverted with it's gear up, and another would lower it's gear, then "land" all three gear onto the A-4 flying below it. The two aircraft flying as one. According to him, and he showed us a picture of it once, they actually got pretty good at doing it and were going to put it into the routine.

Until the FAA found out.

I've seen the Thunderbirds, nice, but most of the stuff was too high up. I like the Blues bringing it right down to the people.

I would have loved to see the T-birds flying these...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jeff Miller

This one was not a real T-bird.

L-188

Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:33 pm

Work with a guy that was Air Force in Thailand during Nam.

At the time the Navy was launching from the carrier, doing a strike, landing at his base, rearming-refueling, then flying a second strike on the way back to the carrier for the night.

He said that they where constantly pulling Navy aircraft out of the weeds. Apparently since they where flying traps constantly they forgot how to keep an aircraft on a runway during a normal landing, they just didn't know how to use the rudder pedals.

Also say they where constantly landing with the tailhook down, which does a wonder to it getting drug down 3000 feet of pavement. Worse they kept snaggin the air force barriers, which was ok with the two middle ones since they where designed to work in both directions. The threshold ones where another matter since they where just a length of cable stretched between two very heavy chains shaped in a big "U" facing away from the threshold. If they hit the one on the end of the runway they where overrunning and the hook would pick the cable up and then progressively pull the links of the chain up as it went farther off the end of the runway.

If they hit that barrier going the other way, they where pulling on that umpteen ton chain all and once and they ripped their aircraft in half.

I will say this about ex-Navy pilots. They generally consistently follow marshaller instructions to the letter and the wave. Some pilots don't. I guess if you are being parked on a deck, not obeying the marshallers instructions can have some very wet consequences.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Lt-AWACS

Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:44 am

Actually Hero I have two cats and two traps on C-2 and E-2 on the Lincoln.
Nothing Special.

Fact remains the Navy is more dangerous on land than sea, as noted above. It also Has more HATRs with Giant Killer on the East Coast and Vacapes. Not to mention in Saudi. The fact an F-18 rolled up on an E-3 for gas just ads to the laughs.

F-14s and E-2s working fleet defence is not what I am talking about re: AEW as E-2s did not carry out TST during OIF. Different discussion for a different board. Also being the E-3 is 80,000lbs heavier than the E-6 with older TF-33 engines, I am sure our ACs will stick with 8k feet, and that is fine with me.

Maybe if the Navy jumped on the Crew Rest train as Corona suggested in 2000 things would get better.

Remember Bombers win wars, Fighters make movies- And the war doesn't start to the Fat Kids fly.

Capt-AWACS, Texas-It's bigger than France

LMP737

Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:32 am

Lt-Awacs:

If I didn't know any better I would say you seem to take pleasure in the Navy's accident rate.

If you remove carrier ops and USAF transport category aircraft from the equation like AAR90 mentioned the accident rates would be similar. One more thing, I'm sure you could come up with some stories on stupid things air force pilots have done.

P.S. When you had your two cat/traps were you flying the aircraft?

JeffM

Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:43 am

No, he was riding in the back...

AAR90

Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:43 am

When you had your two cat/traps were you flying the aircraft?

Reminds me of the time the E2 community was running so low on pilots [too many flunking out during CQ] that we tried training NFO's to ride right seat as "safety pilots." Best summed up by the very senior [soon to be CO] commander whom I had the honor of taking aboard Big-E on his first right seat trap:

NOPE!!! NO WAY!!! NEVER AGAIN!!! I just want to sit in the back, look out my porthole and see water...water...water...steel...crash.

JT got up and left having failed to "qualify" by just 3 more traps. Then again, we never did qualify any of the dozen experienced NFO's who volunteered for the program. Eventually even the "brass" figured out that idea wasn't going to work and the program was dropped soon after.

Lt-AWACS

Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:54 am

"No, he was riding in the back..."

No kid actually I was in the right front seat.
Thanks for asking though.

I never said anything about the Navy or Air FOrce other than to point out the facts. Pure and simple.

Thanks for reading.

Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate

gocaps16

Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:34 pm

I wouldn't think the Thunderchickens to be performing for the opening of the USS Midway. Why would the Air Force do such as show for Midway and probably most likely it will happen over Coronado Beach and not disrupt the flight path traffic from Lindbergh.

When I was flying on the C-9 Skytrain from NAS Oceana, VA to Forbes Field in Topeka, KS to NAS North Island, we did a impressive landing, flying over Coronado Beach making the swooping right turn to align the runway at NAS North Island. And it's even more fun when you're on jumpseat.

Kevin

[Edited 2003-12-22 04:38:15]

JeffM

Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:05 pm

No kid actually I was in the right front seat.

What ever ...It just appears you like to ride in the back. Don't get your little silver bars in a WAD...

And to be perfectly clear... I didn't ask.

[Edited 2003-12-22 07:22:58]

Lt-AWACS

Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:00 am

Look kid, I don't care if you asked or not, facts are facts.
"And to be perfectly clear... I didn't ask."
you were incorrect, now we have fixed the problem. You stand corrected.

You seem to be the one with the "I have to prove something" inferiority complex, maybe you need a hug. Those are your issues and not really for this forum. Stick to the aviation based points, as everyone else has above. Don't stray kid use the Gen forum or other means to digress.

Everything I noted above as fact is re: HATRs and Class A's. My own colour commentary on funny stories was stated as just that, a humorous anecdote. I am sorry you didn't like it move on. As for my opinion on the T-birds and Angels, it stands The Angels do some good 'barnstorming' while the T-Birds do allot more precision and higher number a/c formations. Those are the kinds of things that make the Snowbirds and Frecce so good. The mullet crowd likes the barnstorming and such so it is worth something as a recruiting tool.

I think we all like cartoons by the way, maybe you could start a whole thread with little Navy cartoons, I think we would like that kid.

Capt-AWACS, Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man, landing is the first.

2912n

Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:26 am

Ahhh, the classic E-8 vs O-3 debate.  Smile

AAR90

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:03 am

Ahhh, the classic E-8 vs O-3 debate.

Nah, the classic Navy v. Air Force v. Army v..... service rivalry.  Laugh out loud Cute and nice to see it remains alive & well. Hopefully the active duty types will see the benefits of the friendly rivalry. Certainly we in the USN Aviation Safety area saw it, were jealous of USAF's statistics and pushed ourselves to match/beat same. Sadly, during my time we never did.... but it was sure fun trying --and everybody "won."  Big thumbs up

For those that really care Insane NFO's log "traps" from any seat, but real Wow! Naval Aviators only log traps from the front/left seat.  Smokin cool

JeffM

Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:51 am

Seems the little "wet behind the ears" Lt. has a complex of some sort....? I couldn't care less about those statistics. All I know is no pilot ever died because of any work I, or my crew ever did. And I'm proud of that.

Tony, **news flash** give orders to someone who will listen... You have ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH authority here. Save it for some lower ranking zoomie.

And yes, I do like the "Goat". Thanks.

Such an un-becoming attitude for a "gentlemen". ...... I used to eat junior officer's like you for lunch.

Have a nice day.

LMP737

Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:07 am

AAR90:

The Navy must really have been desperate for someone in the right seat to put NFO's there. God bless NFO's, without them the F-14, E-2 and EA-6B would very expensive general aviation aircraft. However if I were sitting in the left seat I would want a qualified pilot sitting next to me. Two are better than one.

It always amazed me watching the E-2's come over the rounddown and catch the wire. With that wingspan there was not much room for error. Must have been a handful getting that plane on the deck. That pilot who had lt-awacs sitting in the right seat must have had balls of steel.

P.S. Check out my last post in tech/ops about outsourcing.

AAR90

Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:01 am

The Navy must really have been desperate for someone in the right seat to put NFO's there.

An understatement. My squadron was down to just 7 pilots at the time and one of those was an LSO [every 3 days he'd "wave" for the day, no flying]. 2-3 months of 24hr ops wears you down when you only get a few hours between hops. OTOH, the squadron ran beautifully.... no officers around to screw things up.  Laugh out loud

However if I were sitting in the left seat I would want a qualified pilot sitting next to me. Two are better than one.

Perhaps, but in the E2 there is very little the right seat occupant can do. No AOA on the right side and the IAS is so inaccurate it is essentially useless for CV ops. About the only thing the right seat occupant does is watch the pilot to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid that'll get everyone killed. Hmmm, perhaps I've become too bias having spent too much time flying students, VIP's and future buyers in both seats.  Yeah sure

With that wingspan there was not much room for error.

3 feet left/right normally for Big-E. I believe 9-10 feet on Nimitz class.

Must have been a handful getting that plane on the deck.

It isn't easy [hence the previously noted "saying"].

That pilot who had lt-awacs sitting in the right seat must have had balls of steel.

Naw, I've done it a lot. VIP's, news "reporters", even potential buyers from foreign countries [sorry General, we can't let you see that box, or that one, or that one... but you can ride up front for a Cat-Shot"]. Its one of the few seats with a view one can ride without getting ejection-seat training. As noted above, the driver does all the work and the "passenger" does a couple of administrative tasks from time-to-time [CAPC does it all when "guests" are in the right seat]. A bit more work, but not much.  Nuts

JeffM

Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:33 am

It used to be if you had "tits or a camera" your chances of a ride were good. .

Most of my rides involved a broke jet at one end...
....I always just took pictures along the way...in between naps...

2912n

Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:15 am

According to my new copy of Pacific Flyer the T-Birds will be flying over the ocean with show center at the State Beach on the Silver Strand.

Tbirds will fly out of North Island while civilian acts will base out of Brown Field.

More details are supposed to be coming a news conference to be held later this month.

maiznblu_757

Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:59 pm

Ok.. Lets end this.. Everyone knows the Blues are more exciting than the T Birds... They are both good, the Blues are better. Thats all that needs to be said.

maiznblu_757

Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:13 pm

Read on an airshow website, this will be an "Air and Sea Show" with over 1 million people expected. Dont know where they are going to park on the Strand though. Not that much info available yet.

KROC

Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:00 am

Ok.. Lets end this.. Everyone knows the Blues are more exciting than the T Birds... They are both good, the Blues are better. Thats all that needs to be said.

Thats the biggest load of crap since Indianguy's last post.

maiznblu_757

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:43 am

And here is an email I got from the ED of Pacific Flyer....

Chad:

We are the only newspaper to have anything about it. The story is
featured on page A3 of this issue, but since you're probably not
where you can get to one, here's what we wrote:

Wayman Dunlap
Editor

The USAF Thunderbirds will be the featured attraction April
17-18 when the first San Diego Air & Water Show will be staged off
Coronado Island's Silver Strand State Beach, the Pacific Flyer has
learned.
The two-day, pro-military event will feature a variety of
military and civilian airshow acts, including the U.S. Navy's
Leapfrogs and civilian performers such as Gene Soucy, according to
Rudy Malnati of Chicago, director of the event.
"There will be no charge to the public," Malnati said. "In
fact, the park system might even make some money. All expenses will
be paid by the sponsors."
The 46-year-old promoter, who also stages the annual Chicago
Air and Water Show, said a major news conference announcing the event
was to be held in San Diego this month. Other acts, events and
sponsors will be revealed at that time, he said.
A Thunderbird spokesman confirmed the jet team's appearance
and said they will be based out of North Island Naval Air Station.
The civilian acts will be based at Brown Field, adjacent to the
Mexican border.
All flying will take place over the Pacific, Malnati said,
and in clear view of everyone along the Silver Strand. The Coast
Guard will allow boaters close in to see the show and beach goers
will be allowed to watch while enjoying the waters, he added.
Navy ships will participate as will Marine Corps units.
"It will be a very pro-military show," said Malnati, whose
family is known in the Windy City for its chain of specialty pizza
restaurants. He conceded that getting the expected crowd of 200,000
into Coronado is going to be logistical problem but said his
organization is working with the cities involved to resolve that
problem.
"We're going to have special trolleys and busses, so that
people can park on the San Diego side and take a bus across to the
show," he said.
Coronado isn't really an island but a peninsula that curves
around from Imperial Beach next to the border to create San Diego's
bay. However, until the 200-foot high Coronado Bay bridge opened on
August 3, 1969 the only way to get to the tip of the "island" was by
ferry boat from San Diego or a 15 mile long trip to Imperial Beach
then back around the Strand.
By holding the show off the Silver Strand and over the
Pacific, those planning to attend will have to get to Coronado - or
on a boat - to see it; most of the acts will be blocked by a string
of expensive high-rise condominiums along the Strand.

The Blue Angels at Miramar in October. The best for last.

KROC

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:27 pm

The Blue Angels at Miramar in October. The best for last.

maiznblu_757

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:30 pm

Using what I mastered back on me.. Big grin

lehpron

Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:41 pm

Why over a beach, they can't land on a carrier in an emergency, aren't they landlovers? Better not be near La Jolla...

"and tell myths about Naval Aviation and how their pilots are better than the Air Force's. "

Is that right?

Which division of the US military creamed pied the Japanese right after Pearl Harbor, since they missed our carriers? BTW, the ARMY airforce dropped the nukes, not the USAF. They did not exist until years afterwards. What about the Bosnian conflict, was it the F-117 or the AH-64? I seem to remember a stealth getting shot down, I personally would not mess with a Longbow.

Please share your myths...

I only praise the USAF's bomber and recon fleet. FYI, I voted for the YF-23.

edit: I forgot two words:

TOPGUN baby!

[Edited 2004-01-11 13:43:13]
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

covert

Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:42 pm

BTW, the ARMY airforce dropped the nukes, not the USAF.

Yeah but where is that Army Air Force today?
none

L-188

Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:56 pm

Actually it was the Army Air Corps....Not Army Air Force.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

covert

Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:12 pm

Exactly...
none

Lt-AWACS

Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:03 am

No the Army Air Corps changed to the Army Air Force in 1941. It was the USAAF.

Capt-AWACS, Uncle Sam's AWAX-The best shine for your jet

KROC

Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:56 am

Good call L.T. Someone might want to go and make sure L-188 isn't swinging from the Shower Rod.  Laugh out loud

srbmod

Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:43 pm

Actually Army Air Corps and Army Air Force are both acceptable names and historically were used interchangably. The Army Air Corps was one part of Army aviation that formed the Army Air Corps.

Lt-AWACS

Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:58 pm

actually the Air Corps basically became a division within the US Army Air Force after 1941.
Until the Nat. Security Act of 1947 created the US Air Force.

The Air Force webpage and the AF history agency has some links to reading and such. Yes the terms became interchangeable, but were not really so after 1941.
Even the 'Air Force' song changed from Nothing can stop the army air corps to 'Army air force' at this time.

"Both necessity and desire thus caused a blitz of organizational changes from 1940 through 1942. On November 19, 1940, the General Headquarters Air Force was removed from the jurisdiction of the Chief of the Air Corps and given separate status under the commander of the Army Field Forces. Seven months later, these air combat forces returned to the command of air leaders as Gen. George C. Marshall, U.S.Army Chief of Staff, established the Army Air Forces on June 20, 1941, to control both the Air Corps and the Air Force Combat Command."

http://www.af.mil/history/overview.shtml

Capt-AWACS, Texas-It's bigger than France

maiznblu_757

Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:38 pm

Good call L.T. Someone might want to go and make sure L-188 isn't swinging from the Shower Rod.

Congrats, you get advanced to the next paygrade. Way to be ass kisser.