dannyvit

Are These Real Pilots?

Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:09 am

Hi,

I just downloaded a peice of software called Softscanner, it claims to be a Scanner only you dont need the hardware. It also has ACARS/NAVEX decoder built in.

I have listened to many pilots and towers and police, fire and 911 channels, even the shuttle. My question is: is this real or phony, as I have no radio hardware attached to my PC.

I am sorry if I sound a bit dense, but I am new to this kind of thing.

Regards,

Danny

airhead711

RE: Are These Real Pilots?

Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:43 am

You've been listening to the space shuttle?  Confused

jwenting

RE: What Figher Planes Would Have Been Available?

Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:01 pm

Most likely it's either phony or it's giving you a series of pre-recorded conversations.
If it's phony it'll also be prerecorded conversations of course  Smile

To make it seem real they can easily make it so (seemingly) random phrases are parsed together.
I wish I were flying

Lt-AWACS

Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:05 am

And often times the real word military conversations will be using AFTTP 3-1 code words or other coded responses so most people would not 'get' the military and DoD conversations. There are allot folks with websites showing transcripts or recordings (like from 9-11) with completely bogus interpretation.

There are some websites via airports and such where you can listen to the tower or ARTCC, (United has it on some of their planes). But I have never seen a website with all the stuff you listed.

If it does prove to work post the link or some more info, that would be interesting to check out! Let us know if you get further words.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

airhead711

Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:01 pm

I checked it out and it's actually pretty cool.The acars part of it is cool too.It does not however give the reg number of the aircraft.If it did then I would probably pay the $40 to buy it.There are a few preset ATC centers that you can listen to.As well as some police and fire settings from a few cities.

Scott