saintsman

Will The Nimrod MRA4 Ever Fly?

Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:45 am

I've been hearing rumours that the government is going to pull the plug on the Nimrod MRA4. Cost over-runs, late etc are some of the reasons but the biggest one is that there is no real submarine threat anymore so do we really need them?

I would like to see them in service but I think that the writing is on the wall. I wonder if it would have been more secure if it actually had entered service in line with the original programme (albeit it was never going to happen anyway). There's nothing like a sucess to help your case. Mind you it won't be the first time something like this has happened (TSR2 is a good example) but it may well be the last time.

Ant72LBA

RE: Will The Nimrod MRA4 Ever Fly?

Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:41 am

Would be interesting to know how much longer the current Nimrod force could continue without modification and are any alternatives available? The mission the Nimrod was designed for still exists the only doubt is whether or not it justifies the expense of the MRA4.

Tony has been having tea with his chums in Paris and Berlin today; what price another European collaboration? Are there any such programmes in the offing? Lots of European countries would see maritime patrol as an area of defence which would be of continued importance unlike large fleets of fighter-bombers.

keesje

Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:27 pm

Germany, France, Italia will have requirements for longhaul patrol aircraft soon.

Germany has a stop gab with the dutch P3Cs, but France has aging Atlantics ...

However no clear candidates .. A320LR MAP ?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

GDB

Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:48 am

MRA4 would have more than just Martime capabilities, there is a need, so all the government have to do is to instruct BAE to get it working, with their own money (BAE screwed up after all), that is if they ever want a major defence contract again.

jwenting

Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:19 am

yes, the Germans have it cheap. Dutch Navy pays for the aircraft and crew, and they get the use of them...
In the meantime, we have nothing left.
I wish I were flying