ryangooner

Spitfire Question?

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:14 pm

Not so long ago i took this picture of a Spitfire that made its great arrival into Luton Airport.

Now i have been contacted by Email as to why i have a picture of a spitfire with straight edges at the tips of the wings?
Im presuming the email implied that in fact this was not a Spitfire due to the fact that Spitfires have rounded ends to their wings?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ryan Hemmings

can anyone shed any light on this?

Ryan Hemmings
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

Bungle

RE: Spitfire Question?

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:20 pm

The aircraft in the picture is a spitfire as the later models had clipped wings, im not sure of the reason why they were clipped proberly to increase performance. I belive the spitfire in your photo belongs to the Shuttleworth collection at old warden in bedfordshire.

JasperEMA

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:25 pm

Spitfires had 3 different wing lengths in the mk9 ,HF for high altitude ,standard, and the clipped wing LF model seen here for high speed low altitude work , nice photo great classic.

Spacepope

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:25 pm

The clipped wing spitfires were intended for low level use, such as strafing and ground attack. They didn't need the longer wingspan for lift, and the clipping reduced drag at lower levels.
The last of the famous international playboys

Cheshire

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:29 pm

clipped wings gave a better roll rate, essential for any aircraft performing as a low level interceptor. These types of Spits chased V-1 flying bombs over England, when not acting in support of ground troops.

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:23 am

Looks like a Spit Mk.XIV or higher Mk. number to me, they all had these types of wings.
Splendid picture by the way, congratulations.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

Spacepope

Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:07 pm

The intarweb lists MK356 as either a MK IX or a Spitfire LF MK IXe. This one was built in 1944, and actually has combat experience, scoring half of a kill. It also made 2 belly landings. It's not often you see warbirds with combat experience.
The last of the famous international playboys