EMBQA
Topic Author

FA-18 Crash In Tennessee

Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:07 am

Well, for the 3rd time in a week an FA-18 has crashed. I heard the news on the radio while I was driving home from the store. All I know is it went down 80 miles from Knoxville and the crew ejected safely.

Can we say time for a 'Stand Down'...??
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

NightHawk117

RE: FA-18 Crash In Tennessee

Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:30 am

WOW!!! This makes the 4th(?) crash of a mil a/c in 1 week?! :-(

http://www.volunteertv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1744583&nav=4QcHLsFk
Team Stealth...when it absolutely, positively HAS to be taken out overnight!

Lt-AWACS

Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:05 am

Sad as always,

The Spanish had to launch 6 EF-18s just to get 4 airborne at Red Flag the last few weeks.
MX, MX, MX and Money Money Money it seems play a part as always, at least with the folks I've chatted with. We landed with our own IFE last week, which is becoming more and more standard as the airframe ages.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Actions speak louder than bumper stickers
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

JBirdAV8r

Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:50 pm

Interesting. That's one of the exact birds that overflew the Bristol NASCAR race yesterday.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

brons2

Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:23 am

We landed with our own IFE last week, which is becoming more and more standard as the airframe ages.

What are some of the problems with the F/A-18?
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:12 pm

I think it's safe to say that there are no problems with the FA-18 fleet. Its an extremely reliable aircraft thats been in the fleet for close to two decades. Military aircraft crash or are involved in incidents routinely during training and while on deployment, some of which never even make the mainstream media.
However, once in a whole the media brings a string of incidents to our attention, and as always when the media focuses on an aviation related story, a certain percentage of the general population buys into it and figures there must be a problem with whatever type of aircraft has had recent incidents or crashes reported in the media. ]
Common people!

Lt-AWACS

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:28 pm

"We landed with our own IFE last week, which is becoming more and more standard as the airframe ages."

I was talking about the E-3 there.

As for the EF-18s of Spain, they told us it was a huge spare parts issues.
In my dealings with the CF-18s, and Navy and Marine Corps F/A-18s, it was both parts and Money.
The same issues we have in ACC. The Air Force reorg of the MX squadrons has done nothing to fix how A/C utilisation has taken place. When I was last on an RON at Miramar, we lost Marine 18s everyday to IFE RTBs. All Airframe issues, not radar or avionics.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Oklahoma- A native American word for Trailer Park
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

EMBQA
Topic Author

Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:44 am

There may be some truth to what PWM2txhopper said. In todays local Tennesse News paper was a story that they now think the aircraft hit powerlines just 80ft over a lake, then ripping off the external fuel tank. The aircraft continued on crashing in an open field and the fuel tank was recovered floating in the lake.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"