Av8rDAL

Military Plane With 2 Aboard Crashes At SAV

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:11 am

Military plane carrying 2 crashes at Savannah airport

The Associated Press
Published on: 04/03/04

SAVANNAH -- A military plane carrying two people crashed on takeoff Saturday morning, authorities said.

Maj. David Simons, spokesman for the 165th Airlift Wing of the Georgia Air National Guard, said the plane was taking off at Savannah International Airport at 9:17 a.m. when it flamed out and crashed. The wing's training division is based at the airport.

He would not immediately disclose the type of plane, the identities of the people on board or their status.

Anyone near SAV know anything further?

Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

Spacepope

RE: Military Plane With 2 Aboard Crashes At SAV

Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:40 am

The last of the famous international playboys

Hannigan

RE: Military Plane With 2 Aboard Crashes At SAV

Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:49 am

I was at work (SAV) when this happened today. I didn't see the plane when it happened, but I did see the smoke and aftermath after she hit. Apparently the plane went into a steep left bank after takeoff, eventually inverting and hitting the ground nose first. One pilot tried to eject, but unfortunately, the altitude and angle of the plane did not allow enough time for his chute to blossom before he hit the ground. The other pilot never made it out of the cockpit. The airport was completely closed for about 45 minutes after the crash. Airport rescue crews responded very quickly, but in cases like this, there is not much you can do no matter how quick you are.
We got planes! We got gates! What the hell!