L-188
Topic Author

USS Oriskany To Become.........

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:30 am

The worlds largest artificial reef.

The former Aircraft Carrier is scheduled to be sunk in 212 feet of water off the coast of Florida. The 880 foot long ship will be the largest artificial reef ever. However the Navy does have planes to dispose three more larger aircraft carriers as artificial reefs also.

This also satisfies the demands of family members of crewmembers that where killed during a disastrous fire on-board the ship on Yankee Station in the Gulf of Tonkin in 1968.

This was also the ship that Sen. John McCain operated from when he was captured by the NVA after getting shot down.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/04/05/carrier.sinking.ap/index.html
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Sinlock

RE: USS Oriskany To Become.........

Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:00 pm

No date has been set for the sinking in 212 feet of water 22 miles southeast of Pensacola.

Well........ That pretty much rule's it out as a dive site. Figuring that if the deck is about 70ft from the seafloor thats 140ft. Thats 30 feet deeper than 110ft Non-decompression dive limit. And at 110ft you only get 13 mins of bottom time.

Another point, 70% of the coral species found in florida waters live on water no deeper than 60ft. And the north Gulf of Mexico is not known for its coral reefs.

PPGMD

Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:13 am

Sinlock,

Well when recreational subs come out it would be a prime site.
At worst, you screw up and die.

DeltaGuy

Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:49 pm

Why put it in such deep water? This would be a flocking place for rec divers! Unless they're scared of divers getting too close to this thing and trying to go inside...lawsuits!

Seems like a good idea in theory, but think of all the contaminants aboard an aircraft carrier...water won't be too clean! Sinlock brings up a good point, it won't grow a ton of reefs. I do like how they're putting it near PCola though.

Larger carriers, as in the Forrestal class decommissioned ships? Boo, I hope not- they're looking at putting those in museums!

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Sinlock

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:12 am

DeltaGuy,

SCUBA is a "At your own risk" sport. (like Mountan climbing, Glacer hiking, Skydiving.)
The only person that could posably be sued it the Dive boat operator and with over 800 dives under my belt I can only think of two boats that didn't make me sign a waiver.

All ships and reef pylons most be decontaminated before being sunk in US waters. So all the equipment that is removable will be taken off the ship first. The only things that will still be in place will be the engines, lift ramps, bulkheads, ect... In fact I would not be suprised if the "Island" was removed, as it would act like a sea sail during a huricane. It's not unheard of on the east coast of the state for wrecks to moved hundreds of feet during tropical storms. I recall one brand new wreck that is now a little under a mile from where it was sunk.

[Edited 2004-04-08 20:15:04]

DeltaGuy

Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:58 am

True Sinlock.......removing all the equip on that boat will take a loooong time. And cleaning it up, sheesh...even longer. If they do remove the Island, I hope they'd put it in a museum, as well as all the other items, seeing as it's so hard to get a boat saved these days  Sad

Hopefully this doesn't happen to any other flattops. Would be nice to scuba dive to the Big O, if she's more inland it'd be nice. Good point on the waiver  Big grin Done those too...

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan