trijetfan1

Why Do Military Jets Make Visits To Pass. Airports

Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:56 am

Why do military jets make visits to pass. airports?
I saw an A-10 during a tour of CLE's tarmac/cargo area.
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

f4wso

RE: Why Do Military Jets Make Visits To Pass. Airports

Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:26 pm

Probably stopping for gas at whatever FBO has the government fuel contract. With the fewer military bases and shorter hours for their transient service, is cheaper for the military to use the commercial facilities.

Airlift planes may use civilian facilities if that is the closest place to pick up a local reserve unit.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

NightHawk117

Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:40 pm

I know of a few Reserve and ANG units that base out of civilian airports. For ex....Sky Harbor has a ANG tanker sq and BOI has a A-10 Reserve unit.
Team Stealth...when it absolutely, positively HAS to be taken out overnight!

gocaps16

Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:17 am

FYI, fighters pilots do make cross country trips. For example, the F/A-18 that crashed at RDU was there for a fuel stop.

-Kevin

ramprat74

Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:52 am

At PDX. There is a F-15 ANG wing and a KC-135R AFR wing. Alot of Navy and Marine F-18's fly in and park at the FBO. There is plenty of room at the AFR ramp. I don't understand it either. Most of these planes stay a day or two also.

f4wso

Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:57 pm

Could be a ramp space issue or hours of operation.

maiznblu_757

Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:08 pm

Training flights = Visiting family in the area, it happens all the time in Traverse City Michigan, especially in the summer.

[Edited 2004-04-12 07:09:09]

f4wso

Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:14 pm

Navy units seem to like to get away from the coast and fly inland. I never had a problem getting Navy participation for any airshow I have been involved with.

I used to go cross country a lot when I was in reconnaisance units. We could get training events, ie aerial photography, on strange low level training routes which was much better than flying the same routes with the same targets in the local flying area.

When I was in a fighter unit, I went cross country an average of once a year that wasn't connected with a unit training exercise. We usually needed a bombing range or military operating area to get events accomplished so not as many cross countrys.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN

maiznblu_757

Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:56 am

CGAS Traverse City has a huge hangar that houses 5 HH65's. They have a decent size ramp. That is where all the airshow participants park and sometimes use the Hangar. Whats funny is when there are visiting fighters that come in, a lot of times they park amongst the GA Bizjets and Cessnas and such. Very cool.

cloudy

Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:31 am

Don't they worry about security? The security at many FBO's is pretty lax. I'd think, especially with the more expensive military jets, you'd want military-style security. For refueling or picking people up, this wouldn't matter but leaving it on the tarmac or a civilian hanger overnight would seem to be a risk...

f4wso

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:58 am

Security is very good at the high end FBOs.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN

Theiler

RE: Why Do Military Jets Make Visits To Pass. Airp

Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:24 pm

I'm not sure if you will ever see a "hot" (armed) military aircraft parked at an FBO. They will tend to park at a military ramp. Likewise, you won't see a B-2 or an F-117 sitting at an FBO.

PSM has dual FBO's, with one holding a military fuel contact, I believe. They will occasionally park unarmed F-18's and A-10's over there. If armed F-117's or F-15's are visiting, they will park on the military ramp.

Wilsonjcobb

Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:50 am

I'm guessing that like another poster said it's a ramp issue of whether the military uses the FBO or a Guard ramp. Here in Nashville I think transient A/C have to have reservations with the ANG before they show up on their ramp. Plus the Guard facilities might not have a fully staffed or properly staffed ramp personel all of the time. Usually the FBO's with the military contract are 24 hours. I remember a New Jersey ANG F-16 showed up unnanounced at the Guard ramp and they got a little frustrated. I was listening on the scanner and they were talking about sending him to the local contractor. I work for the local BNA FBO that has the contract now (after a 3 year absence) and when fighter or what have you are parked at the Guard we usually get the call to come down and fuel them. Speaking of security, please don't do the stereo type that you here in the opinion (news) channels. I know at my facility we are anything but lax in security. DOD aircraft are perfectly fine overnight at GA facilities.

EMBQA

Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:56 am

YES......We see military aircraft all the time here in BNA. Along with the C-130's of the TN-ANG, we will also get aircraft in for fly overs at the Titans games and the Nashville Super Speedway........along with the weekend flights of the ANG, Marine Reserve and Naval Reserve crews getting their monthly flight hours in.

Dooh, Wilson...I didn't see that you where here in BNA until just now..!! Small world.

[Edited 2004-04-18 05:01:43]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

f4wso

Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:59 pm

A buddy that was in the Naval Reserve would get picked up on Friday and dropped off on Sunday evening at the FBO in Louisville. He drilled at NAS Andrews. It allowed the crews to do something more effective than just pattern work for their proficiency and the squadron to draw from a larger population base away from the coast. When the shuttle couldn't make it, they did equivalent training at a local armory.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN

nctr

Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:30 pm

Well, we once had a Navy F-18 visit ATL and it was here for a Delta employee's retirement party. It was just after Sept. 11th and I was glad to see it here in ATL. Here is a couple photos I made of the aircraft. If you click on the reg # link, you can see all the ones I uploaded. Gregg

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gregg Stansbery
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

fly_yhm

Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:30 am

We get this up here in Canada as well on occasion

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Vanderheyden

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

f4wso

Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:45 am

My unit flew out of Edmonton International at Maple Flag a few years back. There was no ramp space available in Cold Lake. Edmonton was a nice place to photograph between flights and the folks were very hospitable.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN

Tiger119

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting Cloudy (Reply 9):
Don't they worry about security? The security at many FBO's is pretty lax. I'd think, especially with the more expensive military jets, you'd want military-style security. For refueling or picking people up, this wouldn't matter but leaving it on the tarmac or a civilian hanger overnight would seem to be a risk...

- During the Memorial Day Weekend, military fighter jets park at night at Raytheon FBO at IND, usually off on the remote parking area in plain sight of almost anyone (including the tower). If someone wanted to get to those jets, they would have to go over razor wire. And these jets are occasionally the ones that do the fly over for the Indy 500.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

pilotpip

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:22 pm

My FBO had the military contract at STL. We'd see a ton of F-18s and 15s, I guess they wanted to come home and be back at their place of birth. As stated, with many bases closing it's a more viable option. There are also tons of restrictions to getting a slot at a base. We often had unannounced aircraft that met unforcasted headwinds or something like that.
DMI

Venus6971

Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:59 pm

At a military base Transiet alert most if not all are civilian contractors, they sign usually 10 year contracts with it coming up for revision every October .
Pilots usually have to call ahead usually a week beforehand or at least 24 hours to be able to land and have personnel there to handle their jet.If after hours and if you are important enough for the defense of the nation you could get overtime approved. At KTIK the TA used to handle over a 1000 jets a month in the early 80's when most guard and reserve units had fighters and a lot of them just to land and go to the snack bar and get the world famous Tinker Burger. Now it is considered a busy month if we have over 200. Being right in the middle of the country we still handle a lot fighters usually on the way to Fallon or Nellis. If POL is not swamped we can turn a fighter in less than 30 minutes and most pilots like that, I guess at the FBO's they get better service with a pretty young thing driving them from the acft to operations to refile with decent food than a vending machine if they are at a military base.
For all pilots who fly thru KTIK, try to be down before 2315 (T-1 jockeys)or my boss will get real surly with you and don't even think about a quickturn unless you personally get our overtime approved and to all you F-18 pilots who come thru if we say your hyd fluid quantity is low its low. We really like repeat customers and won't let a F&%$ed up acft leave the ground.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

DeltaGuy

Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:48 am

NCTR, you're sure that Hornet pilot wasn't there hand-carrying in his resume?  Wink

We have F/A-18's, T-45's, C-2's, all sorts of Navy jets overnight at Cecil Field....they have no problem parking on the FBO ramp. The Air Farce showed up the other day with two T-37 Dogwhistles, they insisted that they park on the fenced in military ramp (coast guard/army guard) for protection of their jets. What a big asset to protect, huh?

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

SlamClick

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:54 am

It's posted right there over the door in base ops:

"Thou shalt not overfly El Paso on any cross-country flight."

The food is always better at civil airfields. You are treated better by FBO staff than by bored, annoyed military personnel. You are just another transient at a base, you are a hero at a small civil airfield, a skygod in nomex.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

citjet

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:28 pm

At our FBO we have had the following: F-15's, 16's, 18's, 14's, S-3 Vikings,
P-3 Orions, A-6's, EA-6B's, Hawkeyes, COD's, C-17's, C-5's....Canadian Hornets, C-133's, Blackhawks, Nighthawks, Seahawks, Jayhawks, T-2 Buckeyes, A-37 Dragonflys, ...................that is about all I can remember for the moment. And yes, we hold the issue if security very seriously. Our jobs are on the line if we don't.
Someone mentioned that the local guard ramp is available for these. Well, the crew's tell us that it is like booking a hotel room with the Airforce in advance in order to use their facility. But with us, our convenience is just a phone call away.

Oh yea, C-130's, KC-135's, EC-130's, C-130 Gunships (had a tour of one AWESOME) CH-47's, Heueys, the occational Apache. Wow, that is more than many would have thought.

57AZ

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:30 pm

Here at TUS, we have the Arizona ANG. They are the largest ANG unit in the states and the only one that does training for foreign military sales. Your country buys F-16s, your pilots come here for the training included in the sales package. Nothing like making your way out to the departure runway and seeing a formation of four F-16s departing.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

f4wso

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:31 pm

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 20):
a lot of them just to land and go to the snack bar and get the world famous Tinker Burger.

I have had several Tinker burgers in 80s. It was always a great friday night stopover or a quick turn on saturday. My last time transient there was July of 1993 on the way from Frontier Days in Cheyenne back to Birmingham, Alabama.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN

Bluewave 707

Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:32 am

Hickam AFB (HIK) and Honolulu Int'l (HNL) share the runways, though I have yet to see any USAF aircraft park on the FBO side of HNL. Occaisionally, a USN transport will, or transports from other countries ...

USN C-130T
http://myaviation.net/?pid=00312177

RNZAF 757-200
http://myaviation.net/?pid=00132933
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

propatriamori

Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:17 pm

Hey Slam,

That sounds about right from all the military traffic we see over at Cutter aviation and Superior in ELP. We've probably seen just about every aircraft in the military inventory stop in, and most overnight, especially the helos. Sometimes the ramp is swarmed with UH-60's, CH-46's, or CH-53's. I've seen as many as 12 transit through here at the same time, pretty impressive to see the formations. Even the F-117's from Holloman do touch and go's, along with the German Tornados. Army, Navy and Marines a lot, Air force - not so much unless its trainers on cross-country.

I'ts kind of funny, because Biggs AAF is like a stone's throw away, but ALL the Helos and Fighter/Attack transients stop at ELP. When we do get Air force Heavies, they usually overnight at Biggs.

If you keep your eyes open around here, you will see some really interesting traffic, RAF, Luftwaffe, Netherlands Air Force, and a few times in late 2002, early 2003 quite a bit of Spec-Ops Landrovers, HC-130s, MH-6s, C-17s and guys with funny uniforms and hair cuts hanging around the Shoppette at BIF (my old guard unit is based there) I wonder what they were up to?  Smile

ValkyrieRamp

Thu May 19, 2005 12:37 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 22):
you are a hero at a small civil airfield, a skygod in nomex

Judging by the wistful looks from some of the commericial pilots it's also true at us semi-big airfields (MDW).
any science sufficiently advanced is magic

c5onknees

Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:10 am

we get F-18's, Blackhawks, F-16's and alot of other stuff here at SAV. I was taxiing pass signature yesterday and Hornets were there. We get C-130's and C-5's into the Reserve base too.

DeltaGuy

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:31 am

Hornets at SAV huh? Why do business with Signature when you can go over to MCAS El Toro and go to the O'Club instead? Big grin

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

f4wso

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:44 pm

Do you mean Beaufort? El Toro is on the other side of the country and I think it is closed. O clubs aren't what they used to be.
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN

spartan13

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:57 pm

I had always wondered the same thing about the military guys stopping at the FBO for fuel instead of going to the military ramp when it was just down the field. One day I talked to a pilot and asked him why not go to the gaurd ramp and he said because they don't get pampered like they do at a FBO...no cookies, nice rest area's, etc....
Ralph Duenas - Jetwash Images (Charles Barkley said it best "Oklahoma is a vast wasteland")

SATL382G

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:45 pm

Quoting Spartan13 (Reply 32):
One day I talked to a pilot and asked him why not go to the gaurd ramp and he said because they don't get pampered like they do at a FBO...no cookies, nice rest area's, etc....

I gotta wonder what that cookie costs the taxpayer.....
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

efohdee

Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:15 pm

Go to Florala, Alabama 0J4
Nothing but jet fuel for the local military pilots. Fill up and get free barbeque!!!

One day I talked to a pilot and asked him why not go to the gaurd ramp and he said because they don't get pampered like they do at a FBO...no cookies, nice rest area's, etc....

Wilsonjcobb

Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:38 pm

had always wondered the same thing about the military guys stopping at the FBO for fuel instead of going to the military ramp when it was just down the field. One day I talked to a pilot and asked him why not go to the gaurd ramp and he said because they don't get pampered like they do at a FBO...no cookies, nice rest area's, etc....

Not to mention that an FBO can probably quick turn a couple of Mil transients quicker than a Guard facility. Matter of fact our FBO (Signature, BNA) had to go to the Guard this morning and fuel one of their C-130's. So that there tells me that the Guard outfits are not fully staffed all the time when they aren't meeting for the weekend. Don't sell the FBO's short. It's no more taxing on your tax dollars than a full burner performance at an airshow.

USAFHummer

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:04 pm

Here's a photo I took about a year ago of some T-38's parked at a civilian ramp at CHS...doubly interesting since CHS is both civilian and military, sharing runways with Charleston AFB...but these T-38's were parked on one of the civilian ramps...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/BuffsandEagles/DSCF0016.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v300/B.../?action=view¤t=DSCF0016.jpg
...in case bandwidth gets used up...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru