LY744
Topic Author

Wires Over Hardened Aircraft Shelters

Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:38 am

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/1115/7751.html

Sorry but that's the best picture I have for now. I was wondering what those metal-looking wires strung accross the top of the "alley" between the two rows of HAS's (top and top right of the picture) are for. That picture is from Doha, Qatar during the 1st Gulf War, but I've also seen those in pics of Ramon AB in Israel. Both are relatively new airbases located in desert areas. Are these like the wires you see on battle tanks designed to cause a premature detonation of incoming projectiles, or are they there to support a camo net or something?  Confused

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

david b.

RE: Wires Over Hardened Aircraft Shelters

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:44 am

It looks like a net or camo of some sort. Note that the entrences are of a different color and that the camo is the same color as the rest of the hanger.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

jwenting

Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:14 pm

My guess is that they're NOT camouflage (though they could be used as such) but rather to put up canvas sunshades for when the aircraft are worked on outside.

Of course when you pull a large canvas sheet over them and put a layer of sand on top of that it's pretty hard to see there's anything there except a pile of sand (though the pavement would still need something, maybe more sand or like some people do paint it in the colour of the surrounding terrain).
I wish I were flying

L-188

Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:26 pm

Probably both.

Either o.

But as Jwenting said, a piece of canvas in that climate is going to be a dust magnet and fade to the base color of the ground in fairly short order.

I spent a year in the army cleaning up cammo nets from Kuwait after the first gulf war. IT is amazing how much the sand and dust from that country can get around. There was never a day my woodland BDU's didn't look like the desert.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

LMP737

Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:21 am

When I was at Ramstien AB in 96 the HAS there were used as very expensive storage sheds.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Contact_tower

Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:23 am

"When I was at Ramstien AB in 96 the HAS there were used as very expensive storage sheds. "

As is the case at all NATO bases with HAS disperals, but without permanently based, or fighter deployments...........