schweizair

Stinger To The Rescue!

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:54 am

The Hind is a sight to behold. The size and its armament scared me badly when the Soviet Union was around. Still, I wonder, was it ever vulnerable to small arms fire? It seems like our UH60 and Chinooks get shot down all the time by a rusted out Kalashnikov. Does anybody know the attrition rates in Afghanistan before and after we shipped Stingers to the rebels? What did the Soviets do to counter the Stinger? That tactic, oddly, has never been discussed in any book I've read about the Soviet-Afghan conflict.

727200er

RE: Stinger To The Rescue!

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:03 am

The Hind is the rotor eq of the A10 the thing can take alot of damage before going down. There is not alot of info available about attrition in Afganistan due to the Soviet policies of secrecy. They lost alot of hinds though due to the stinger. Small arms fire against the Hind is mostly a waste of time. You would likely be dead long before you could do enough damage to down it.
"they who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only at night" - Edgar Allen Poe

keesje

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:19 pm

I heard stingers let to a real change in tactics above Afganistan (not only Hinds, but also SU25, MIg 27's etc.) when the US smuggled them in to help Osama Bin Laden and his friends.

A lot of stingers are still around somewhere & they scare the hell out of many countries.

http://robert.bk-s.tudelft.nl/spotting/Czech/Hind.html
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

rg828

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:39 pm

Is'nt there a quote somewhere attributed to Afghan rebels during the Afghan-Soviet conflict:

"We are not afraid of the Russians, but we are afraid of their helicopters."

I dont know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

PPGMD

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:54 pm

It seems like our UH60 and Chinooks get shot down all the time by a rusted out Kalashnikov

As COL McKnight said in the Blackhawk down commentary, in the movie it seems like they were taken down by a few well aimed shot, but in reality the sky was filled with RPGs.
At worst, you screw up and die.

L-188

Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:56 am

Exactly.

Put enough BB's in the air and odds are one of them will hit something.

Same idea behind why we use shotguns to hunt Geese, instead of .22 rifles.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

LMP737

Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:53 am

I remember reading an article about the Hind a couple years back. One of the weaknesses was the location of the engine exhausts. They were located in the top center of the fuselage right under the main rotor. To top it off the exhausts did not have IR suppressors. When the Hind took a hit not only was the engine damaged but other systems such as the transmission and main rotor.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.